In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safe rooms in new houses...common nowadays?

SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in General Discussion
I know of at least two new houses going up, that have bank-vault like rooms situated inside them.

The vaults/saferooms even have dimensions that pretty closely mirror those of local banks (which I've also seen recently being built).

I think, if I were building a house, I'd include a safe room/vault. Not only for safety during tornadoes, but for those times (admittedly and thankfully rare) when pusillanimous polecats kick open your door and are willing to do harm to you and damage to your property, and finally, as a safe place to store guns and so forth.

Are these things common around your part of the country? Do you have one?

Sahagan

Comments

• Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    In Florida, safe rooms are being built both in new and existing homes, if you got the cash, due to hurricanes.

Believe it or not, a lot of older homes in So. FL have safe rooms. These were built during the Cuban Missle Crisis days...except none offer protection from radiation....kinda like an expensive "duck and cover".
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    yep, dig them everyday, mostly in new construction, but sometimes in additions. they can be cleverly hidden[;)][8D]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dolfan
    In Florida, safe rooms are being built both in new and existing homes, if you got the cash, due to hurricanes.

Believe it or not, a lot of older homes in So. FL have safe rooms. These were built during the Cuban Missle Crisis days...except none offer protection from radiation....kinda like an expensive "duck and cover".

YEah,, what Dolfan said.BTW,, how'bout dem FISH!!?[V]

Jeff
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad had a tornado shelter put in under the back porch. a Cement room with a half height doorway. My cOusin had cement rooms under each front and back porch. They would make great safe rooms. He put a glass door to one and made it into a wine cellar.

I know another guy that has a fireproof safe in his basement. Just uses it for pictures and such.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    A loaded 45 and/or shotgun is about as safe as any of my rooms get.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    The Safe Room in my house is simply the one that is farthest from any entry - there is my Safe. Happens to be the Laundry room, not the best match for guns, and papers, and valuables/electronics, but that is just the way it is.
  • Options
    SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it or not, I keep most of my guns in my shop....which is a hundred feet or so from the house, heavily locked, and doesn't look as if it would have in it anything of value beyond the usual tools and such.

I've got a cheap gun safe in the house, but a body could use a dolly and haul it away pretty easily. An old shotgun, a 35mm camera or two, some ear plugs and so forth is all they'd get. I'd hope that anyone breaking in would figure that's all she wrote, and leave everything else alone, although the 9mm on top of the refrigerator, and the .357 magnum hanging from my bedpost would be goners for doggoned sure.

I don't know....I don't feel particularly safe and secure from break ins, but I can't figure what more to do, short of buying a heavy and expensive safe, or building a safe room.

So I guess that uneasy feeling will stay with me.

Sahagan
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I build a house it will have one