In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is my girlfriend right?

girlhuntergirlhunter Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
She says this is part of the problem in the financial market. Is she right?

hedge fund

NOUN:

An investment company that uses high-risk techniques, such as borrowing money and selling short, in an effort to make extraordinary capital gains.

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes......but only a fraction of the real problem.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOTS of hogs at the trough![xx(][|)] that has caused this. More pork than a stockyard at Christams time and all sqeeling now. Going to hurt EVERYBODY though..thats the crap part...nambu
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hows it going to hurt me? im retired on govt pension, i dont play the market, and i dont have a mortgage. everything i own is PAID FOR. is this just going to hurt people who bit off more than they could chew?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    bobski...your dollar won't go near as far as it did before all this mess.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but thats universal. no ones money will.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by girlhunter

hedge fund

NOUN:

An investment company that uses high-risk techniques, such as borrowing money and selling short, in an effort to make extraordinary capital gains.

HAHA You must be a young man. After many years with the opposite sex, I have come to the conclusion that all femals are right and we (men) had better accept it and get over it.[8D]
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    hows it going to hurt me? im retired on govt pension, i dont play the market, and i dont have a mortgage. everything i own is PAID FOR. is this just going to hurt people who bit off more than they could chew?

you pay insurance premiums don't you?.....they invest money in the mrkts....if they lost alot of money guess who is going to pay.
  • Options
    girlhuntergirlhunter Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

hedge fund

NOUN:

HAHA You must be a young man. After many years with the opposite sex, I have come to the conclusion that all femals are right and we (men) had better accept it and get over it.[8D]

I am a young female and you are correct.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

hedge fund

NOUN:

Oh no...here we go again
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Traci, is that you?
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

hedge fund

NOUN:

Can I watch while you shave the hedge??? never mind[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    Traci, is that you?
    Don

I thought Traci is dead
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    Traci, is that you?
    Don

I thought Traci is dead

Sorry, my bad[:0][}:)]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski

you'll play hell getting that "govt pension" when they go belly up they are not far from it now
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Bobski: When total financial collapse occurs it is not long before the government collapses,, When that occurs, kiss your Gvmt pension goodbye..
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobski,
    You may be on a government pension but you are still a taxpayer. And, you are still on the hook. Most other retired or soon to be retired municipal, state and federal employees are counting on defined benefit retirement plans for a good part of their needs for a financially secure retirement. These retirement plans invest in the US & global equity and stock markets hoping to make enough income to meet the funding requirements for present and future retirees. A financial collaspe could very well have an effect on your pension. A less obvious effect is decreased retirement fund earnings will mandate that certain taxes, such as ad valorem taxes, be diverted to the retirement funds. This will either reduce funding for other public services or increase property taxes. Our country has let our infrastructure (bridges in particular) deteriorate significantly which ultimately will require a significant amount of taxpayers doallars. In short, most all responsible citizens are in the same canoe.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    you want to know why check this out.....remember the law is the law.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=NU6fuFrdCJY