In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RIP Joe Leonard

Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/140053-joe-leonard-1932-2017

One of the best ever. He drove one of the STP Turbo wedge cars for Granitelli, and he was a very nice guy.

Thanks for the racing.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about Joe. Sure I remember him driving Silent Sam. I worked at that time a few hundred yards just south of the track at Union Carbide.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RIP Joe. One of my favorites
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to hang out at the Indy 500 track back then as a kid when you could walk in the pits and see up close the crews working on the cars. I was told more than once to go away when I got too close. Hell I was just a kid and wanted to see what they were doing to the cars. I recall telling one of the crew members that the car below was going to win the race. They let me sit in it. Then another man.. who I found out later who he was.. Smokey Yunick.. told me to get out of the car in a pretty meaning tone... RIP Joe, I watched you race at Indy for a lot of years.

1024px-JoeLeonardEagle_zpsnd16f1zo.jpg
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Who ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More successful as a motorcycle racer, but one hell of a driver none the less.

RIP
  • Options
    sprintsprint Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew Joe from back in my motorcycle racing days. One of the nicest guys I ever met. The photo is of Joe I took after his 100 mile National road race win at Laconia in 1957.

RIP Joe!
    Joe%20Leonard%20Laconia%201st%201957_zpsjnelifsd.jpg

Sprint