In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus that blew up on me UPDATE.

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
So I get a call today from Taurus the lady says we looked at the gun and cant repair it (no frigging kidding), so they are sending me a new but that model is on back order so it will be atleast 2 weeks before they get any.

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    ok, so glad they are taking care of it. Any idea what caused the failure?
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I ask but she didn't know.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I don`t think I`d want another one after haveing one blow up on me.I`d just let it sit in the safe and never shoot it.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    if they`re sending you a new one it`s obvious that the problem is from the gun itself and nothing you or anyone else has done to it so i`d be wanting to know what happened to it...keep asking them, you should have the right to know.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can I ask what model that was that "blew up"? And how old was it?[?]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I burn some more powder thru my $100 one today. No malfunctions

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=376922
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could always sell it for a good price (someone will buy it no matter what)....then take the money and go buy some thing similar and of better quality.

If these guns have histories of blowing up, I would suggest welding a small drop of braze in the barrel and selling it to a would be killer.

that way you have a higher quality weapon, maybe some cash left over, and you have gotten one more thug off the street (at least he will be when he goes to shoot the thing[}:)])
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Maybe you all don't understand that Taurus replaces un-fix-able guns from their shop, period.
    I now know of 3 Taurus guns that were replaced FOR FREE after they disassembled themselves through abuse, neglect, or normal wear'n'tear.
    One was a double charge of Blue Dot by a newbie reloader.
    One was D@Ds gun, which blew up for no apparent reason; lucky he wasn't anywhere near it when it went!
    One was an older model 65 that had been "altered" by its' owner.
    All 3 were replaced without a snivel from Taurus.
    None of the guns I know about hurt anyone during their "event".
    Everyone except Selectfire tried to imply that the brand is junk, and should have the barrel plugged before it gets sold to a crack dealer; they are almost exact copies of S&W guns, and some of the parts interchange. Why isn't everyone whining about the S&W brand being(overpriced) junk?
    Ever try to get S&W to replace your double-charged cylinder? Back strap then? Rear sight? Bueller?
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think there is a gun MFG. anywhere that hasn't had one go boom for various reasons. There are god knows how many other Taurus firearms out there that haven't had a problem to warrant avoiding them, if that was the case we would still be using sling shots.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Any pictures? Or a link to pictures from a prior post? Thanks, Joe
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whew, I thought you were talking about Taurus as in the Ford...was expecting to see the Japophiles come out of the woodwork and bash American cars...
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    i followed the original post, too bad we cant get the why...i stand behind taurus. great customer service on my deal on a saturday.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    you could always sell it for a good price (someone will buy it no matter what)....then take the money and go buy some thing similar and of better quality.

If these guns have histories of blowing up, I would suggest welding a small drop of braze in the barrel and selling it to a would be killer.

that way you have a higher quality weapon, maybe some cash left over, and you have gotten one more thug off the street (at least he will be when he goes to shoot the thing[}:)])

I'm not LE, BUT, that sounds like a couple of BIG problems to me.
    Selling a firearm to a SUSPECTED criminal, is conspiracy to commit a felony. Strike 1
    Selling a "booby-trapped" ANYTHING, that is designed to inflict injury or death CAN be a felony, Strike 2
    Altering a firearm without a gun-smithing license.... Strike 3
    Do you see a pattern here?
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say you are making out ok--you bought a USED gun that had a problem-sent it back to be fixed and the maker couldn't so they are giving you a NEW gun which you can either keep or sell and most likely make a profit. Think GM would do that if you had a used Chevy truck that the engine went boom on? I say you are doing just fine-keep it and shoot it or sell it and add money to buy a S&W so long as it's not a PPK at the moment[:D]
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just guessing from the photos I think the barrel threads let go. Could have been cross threaded when assembled and destroyed the threads or bad heat treating of the barrel steel or frame, or all the above. I wouldn't be afraid of a new one, just shoot the heck out of it and see if it happens again. I doubt that it will. They aren't going to say what happened to it, that would be evidence in any possible future lawsuit. No company, gun , auto, and anything else, is going to admit to a product defect.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I too, will stand behind a Taurus.

Way Back!

Just kidding.
    I have a friend that was treated very well by
    the company.

I'm still partial to my Smith.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd sell the new one that's "arriving" without even trying it out and buy a S&W. I mean come on they're just send ing you a new one 'cos they know there is a problem. Cheaper to send you a new one than re-calling them. Next time you might be called stumpy.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Good company...that stands behind their product.[8D]
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Taurus Revolvers and I also have two semi autos. Love them all. [^] [:)]

here's one of the semi autos.The other one is blue.[:)]

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
  • bintherebinthere Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you ever notice that Taurus and the word S -- H -- ? -- T have the first and last letters reversed? Somebody once explained to me that Taurus is just the word for sh... in some ancient south american language.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by binthere
    Did you ever notice that Taurus and the word S -- H -- ? -- T have the first and last letters reversed? Somebody once explained to me that Taurus is just the word for sh... in some ancient south american language.

Grow up if possible.[:D]
  • oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I certainly have not had any problems with the two Taurus pistols I've owned. Would by more if I were looking for another gun.