In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Guess I was hurting my Garden ??

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I use a rear-tine tiller and like most men, gas + machine = Fun.
For years I have tilled the garden in early spring and then before planting, going over the garden many times. I also have a mini-tiller to go between the row for weed control.
This year because of the rain, I only tilled 1 time for the whole garden, was simply too wet to till.
Something I have noticed when transplanting and watering is that garden spiders come up from the cracks in the ground when I water(good for pest control, their are several garden pests are around root area). Have not noticed this many before.
I also planted more spinach early on than I could eat, so now it has overgrown a garden area and the pests seem to flock to it other than the other vegetables, good for me, Ive had all I want.
Also when digging a hole for the vegetable plant I have never seen as many night crawlers in my garden ever!
Guess I must have been over-tilling, hence killing the garden spiders that control pests and the night crawlers that are good composter's and soil aereator's ?