In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taliban releases US Soldier

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Held 5 years, exchanged for detainees. Glad he is coming home.

Comments

• gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question is how was he captured in the first place? The story says he "wandered off". Was he just stupid or was he a deserter?
    Will he be treated like a hero or will he be held to account?
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    There seems to be something rotten about this....

Bergdahl's Father spoke in Arabic? to the cameras addressing his Son...

Did the Son defect to join the Taliban?

Something is wrong with Our Imperial Leader trading known Enemy Combatant Terrorists for this person...
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His parents just happened to be in DC today too.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when he first disappeared were their not stories that he had declared that he was a pacifist and made comments to fellow troops that he had become against the war?
  • forjoeforjoe Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regardless of how\why he got caught. We made a deal with the devil and watch them try kidnap others as bargaining chips for their leaders held by us!
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the exchange rate is 5 to 1.

Is that good or bad?
  • Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    Whats next, paying ransoms? We have just done the worse thing I believe we could of done. I am very happy this young man gets to come home, but how many now will loose their lives because of this.

We should never ever bargain with terrorist.

As we continue down the slippery slope.[B)]
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Israel has made their policy on this matter well known, and I think it works quite well for them..I hope this doesn't lead to a rash of kidnapings...
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given the current state of political affairs I am just thankful he is home. People who are inclined to believe he betrayed his country are entitled to that opinion. I was on the ship when people jumped off the side of the aircraft carrier because they couldn't handle being deployed. War is a buzzard, he endured more than most and I'm glad he is home.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mexico is paying attention to this.......they have our Marine [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

Something is wrong with Our Imperial Leader trading known Enemy Combatant Terrorists for this person...

Hmmmmm I wonder if the family converted to Islam as part of the deal to get their son released??? Have you seen a pic of his father? I bet Bo converted to Islam.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob
    Check this like to some of the fathers purportedly deleted tweets:

http://soopermexican.com/2014/06/01/father-of-american-soldier-freed-from-taliban-deletes-a-very-disturbing-tweet/

WOW if that is true, then it all figures now doesn't it. sigh this country is so lost.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

.this is what you should have said;
    "Something is wrong with Our SCUMBAG of an Imperial Leader ILLEGALLY trading known high value Enemy Combatant Terrorists for this person...
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    The question is how was he captured in the first place? The story says he "wandered off". Was he just stupid or was he a deserter?

^^^^^^^^^^Good questions IMO. Very questionable. POTUS also did not follow protocol in informing Congress BEFORE the deal. Dad looks and sounds like a Islamist turncoat and son lost his ability to speak English? Very strange situation....and the five guys will appear again on the battlefield fighting to retake the country. We need to find out more about the guy and his motivation.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read the rolling stone or Wikipedia page on the sgt. He was not a pacifist, but a Taliban sympathizer or America hater at the least
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Mexico is paying attention to this.......they have our Marine [;)]

What they will give us more, they for sure don't want any back.
  • milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    Originally posted by gruntled

^^^^^^^^^^Good questions IMO. Very questionable. POTUS also did not follow protocol in informing Congress BEFORE the deal. Dad looks and sounds like a Islamist turncoat and son lost his ability to speak English? Very strange situation....and the five guys will appear again on the battlefield fighting to retake the country. We need to find out more about the guy and his motivation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^It's my understanding that the five guys that were traded for him were not run of the mill fighters but pretty high up in the chain of command that's killing our soldiers in Afghanistan.

Given the number of captured and released Taliban soldiers that are back on the battle field killing our people, how could this deal make sense unless we choose to ignore the manchild behind the curtain that made it happen.

Now for the first time, the government has openly made a deal with the terrorists so it's no stretch of the imagination to bet that since it happened once, it could happen again.

If they can kidnap/capture a few Americans either civilians or soldiers and in a five for one trade, closing Gitmo will not be an issue because shortly there will be no detainees left there.

One other thing, We'll never know now but I would wager dollars to donuts that if the captured soldier were Southern Baptist or some such, he would have dead years ago.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Wikipedia this is a copy of Bowe Bergdahl's last email to his parents before he was captured:
    quote:Last email to parents[edit]

On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bowe sent a final e-mai-l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing poop bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    According to Wikipedia this is a copy of Bowe Bergdahl's last email to his parents before he was captured:
    quote:Last email to parents[edit]

On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bowe sent a final e-mai-l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing poop bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."

Wow... Wikipedia isn't always the most accurate source, but if that is true this is a problem!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta love the catch and release program the US has. I reckon by doing this the war will continue say a thousand years? I hope they "Red Dawn" his *. You know where they ask him why he got caught?
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    woulda been hell if a drone was flying over and noticed a bunch of taiban ragheads in a group.....and no one had notified the drone operators and others that should have known
  • lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "We must never,ever give in to terrorists" Margaret Thatcher
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This makes me mad. Our weak leader trading prisoners. We never negotiate with terrorist. Now what, the taliban will continue to kidnap Americans and hold them for trade. Bad deal. I also get the feeling that the guy we are getting back is one of them or just a plain deserter. Just my opinion.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A week ago, Obama arrived in Afghanistan on a surprise visit. While there, he announced a definite date for our withdrawal.
    I bet a dollar that this was part of the deal. I bet the Taliban told Obama, through the intermediaries, "You go to Afghanistan and announce the withdrawal, and we will give the soldier back."

Don't get me wrong, I think we should have gotten out 11 years ago.
    I am glad that Sgt. Bergdahl has been returned, whether he was a pacifist or not. Trading 5 bad guys for him, I don't know. Will set a bad example for sure, could result in more GIs getting kidnapped.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O should be tried for treason and how many other prisoners are left out in the cold. Never bargain with terrorist is the law
  • gp52555gp52555 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like another
    Robert Garwood.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thoughts on the situation:

The statement that this will result in more Americans being captured is a false argument. A live American soldier has been the greatest prize on the battlefield for decades, this changes nothing in that regard.

There was nothing unlawful about the exchange. To say otherwise is, in a word, crap.

edit: Thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware of such a law being in place. I do continue to believe that such powers are well-within the CinC's authority

We traded the Taliban one cull for 5 warriors. Those warriors will go back to Jihad and innocent lives will be lost as a result. The blood of those victims will be squarely on Obama for making this disgraceful decision.

Now that Bergdahl is home, he should be court-martialed. I do not believe he will be though. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see him "medically retired" and hitting the morning talk show circuit in full uniform with his newly awarded prisoner of war medal prominently displayed.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obama has received negative reviews on a number of fronts recently. The VA scandal, and the cool reception at West Point mark him as a questionable commodity in supporting the troops.

This is simply good publicity... and, therefore, good politics.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Knowing what a liar Obama is, if he admits that we released 5 Taliban from Gitmo, we probably released 25.
  • PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of the Presidential Pardons.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled

The more I am hearing about this guy and his family, the less I am liking the deal. I listened intently to Dad's and Mom's news conference (Dad dressed in all black....interesting) and didn't hear much of interest other than a lot of thanks. Sounds to me at first blush that we we traded a deserting soldier for five killers....but I need to learn more. That POTUS would ride this for all he can get doesn't surprise me at all with the lousy PR he has been getting (and earning) lately. We need to know more about this guy IMO.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Sounds to me at first blush that we we traded a deserting soldier for five killers....but I need to learn more

That is exactly what happened.[V]
    RLTW

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Still want to know why he can't speak English.
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Guys I know that have gone on church missions for two years to a foreign language country sometimes have difficulty speaking English. I can understand that for five years, he probably did not hear much English.

With that said, I think he is a traitor, as well as the POTUS, for what just happened.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by utbrowningman
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Guys I know that have gone on church missions for two years to a foreign language country sometimes have difficulty speaking English. I can understand that for five years, he probably did not hear much English.

With that said, I think he is a traitor, as well as the POTUS, for what just happened.

you forget you language[?][?]....hell they probably spoke english..they are heathens but not stupid
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only American to be held prisoner in Afganistan, does anyone else find this a bit strange? I mean, considering how they treat the infidel's. I find it strange that he was held captive for 5 years when their usual modus operandi would be to brutally kill an american, especially now with what other members of his unit are saying.
  • RobatHrlyRobatHrly Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained
    The only American to be held prisoner in Afganistan, does anyone else find this a bit strange? I mean, considering how they treat the infidel's. I find it strange that he was held captive for 5 years when their usual modus operandi would be to brutally kill an american, especially now with what other members of his unit are saying.

Looks like he pulled an "asalamuallakum, save my bacon" and converted.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I have no idea if this guy is a traitor or not. I don't know if he is a deserter or not. What I do know is that IMO it is a bad idea to negotiate with terrorists. I believe this is an attempt to gain some favorable, feel good press by an administration which is getting black eyes on a routine basis.