In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Ak 47?

brute187brute187 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'm wanting to by an AK47. I have heard that the romanian ones aren't that good. What would be the best AK for my money?

Comments

• JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bulgarians.

[:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Springfield Armory's M1A.

Doug
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the money, SAR1.
  • M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Preban Norinco, Polytech or Hungarian SA85. Prepare to drop some cash. Vector and Arsenal make great guns as well
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yugoslavians; either imported by Mitchell Arms or by American Arms are top quality. The Hungarian SA 85s are next in line and then the Polytechs (if you can find one). Bulgarians are the way to go if you need a milled receiver (an AK-47 and not an AKM) and don't want to dump a ton of cash on a Polytech Legend, but the fit and finish on the Bulgarians are not on par with the Yugo or Hungarians. The peeling paint on the bolt carrier and the inside receiver rails you get after you shoot a Bulgarian AK really looks really tacky! Romanian and Egyptian AKS can be great looking rifles or pieces of junk that look thrown together and assembled with a cold chisel and a file, you won't know what you'll get unless you see good photos.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going that route, get a SKS. They are just as rugged and more accurate. Next visit Tapco and get a new stock and pick up some 20 or 30 round mags.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably the best ak for less then a thousand dollars is an Arsenal, If you dicide to get one read up on the pros and cons of a milled reciever, you can usually find em for about 950.

As doug points out an m1a is only a pound or so heavier and quite a bit more versitile when it comes to shooting at thoose pesky 400+ yard targets.
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The WASR is not a bad rifle, provided the mag well is done right, and the front sight isn't askew.

For my $$$, hard to beat the SA-85M Hungarian. Aresenal make a fine AK as well.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    Valmet
    By a mile, made in Finland [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    Saiga

Made in Russia....where the AK was invented...not in a country that ripped off the design.
    edited November -1
    Saiga

Made in Russia....where the AK was invented...not in a country that ripped off the design.
    Perfected it, buddy [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFinn
    Saiga

Perfected it, buddy [;)]

Weren't the Finns part of the Axis in WWII? Just Curious. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Saiga

Perfected it, buddy [;)]

Weren't the Finns part of the Axis in WWII? Just Curious. [:D]

They were "co-belligerents", but not puppet goverments like Romania or Slovenia. The Finns kicked Soviet * in the Winter War of 1939-40, until over-run by sheer numbers.

But they made Ivan pay a dear price.
    edited November -1
    Yep, and I believe the only country that paid their war debt in full and early[:)]
    edited November -1
    Yep, and I believe the only country that paid their war debt in full and early[:)]

So we could say they were Nazi Sympathizers.....and allies.
    edited November -1

So we could say they were Nazi Sympathizers.....and allies.

we could also say they were anti-communist and hated Russians...which was much closer to the truth.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it was more then that to me.

http://serbianna.com/blogs/savich/?p=6
    edited November -1
    The AK thread is going to turn into a discussion of Finland's WWII policies?

Lets stay on track with a Finish Valmet Model 76:
    [img][/img]ValmetModel76T.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Spare us.

Sorry...I was just stirring the pot. I am very aware of the Finnish war against the Ruskies. Was just being an agitator.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Spare us.

Sorry...I was just stirring the pot. Was just being an agitator.

Why? Is that going to make the site a more informative place for newbies like brute 187 to stop by and get their questions answered?
    [img][/img]33409655.jpg

[img][/img]AK-47s.jpg

[img][/img]YugoAKs.jpg

[img][/img]hungarianAK.jpg

[img][/img]YugoRPK.jpg

[img][/img]0AK-74.jpg
    edited November -1
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, your collection never ceases to amaze me.[:D] Looks like you got one of everything!
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You can learn the AK design easily enough so that even the lowly Romanian stamped rifle can be made to function flawlessly. Better still you can buy one of the afore mentioned superior grade rifles in kit form and assemble one yourself. That process alone will give you enough knowledge to instill you with the confidence to buy broken guns cheaply and get them running. Spend you money on tools and know-how and the guns will come.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by best?

All properly assembled AK's are reliable, but some are prettier than others.

This is my first build, a AMD-65 pistol, built up from a receiver flat ... I had to add hand-guards in order to shoot it more than a few rounds.

P1150005.jpg

This one is a Franken-meanie I built up from a 1.6mm receiver flat, Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit, Romanian Barrel and Romanian underfolder plus the proper US parts to be compliant. It it shoots accurately and hasn't ever had a FTF or FTE. Some of the rivets aren't perfect ... I haven't put a finish on it yet, and not sure I ever will ... so does that make it any worse than any factory built Valmet?

P2080002.jpg

I've still got a couple builds to do, but I'm working on my riveting to end up with a prettier finished project.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid

This is my first build, a AMD-65 pistol, built up from a receiver flat ... I had to add hand-guards in order to shoot it more than a few rounds.

P1150005.jpg

This one is a Franken-meanie I built up from a 1.6mm receiver flat, Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit, Romanian Barrel and Romanian underfolder plus the proper US parts to be compliant. It it shoots accurately and hasn't ever had a FTF or FTE. Some of the rivets aren't perfect ... I haven't put a finish on it yet, and not sure I ever will ... so does that make it any worse than any factory built Valmet?

P2080002.jpg

I've still got a couple builds to do, but I'm working on my riveting to end up with a prettier finished project.

I rest my case. Thanks Kid
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Mark, your collection never ceases to amaze me.[:D] Looks like you got one of everything!
    I think he's got a few of everything![:)]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid

P1150005.jpg

P2080002.jpg

I rest my case. Thanks Kid

I have to add a +1 to this.

The 3 I built are the best out there. [:D]
    3551432476_022943060d.jpg?v=0
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    My twin legends.

DSCF0069.jpg
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hungarian SA85, Norinco, Yugo M70 Underfolder are my fav's. Have a Saiga too. The Hungarian has awesome quality wood.