In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good news - bad news - for me anyway ? ? ?

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
I spent a good part of the day pruning and cutting. I know I should have done it last Fall, but I didn't and some of the stuff is so out of hand it makes it hard to mow the grass (weeds).

It's been a while since I trimmed my boxwoods in front of the house so they are looking a little ragged and could use some shaping up. I was looking them over to see how big a job I was looking at and noticed they were covered up with honey bees (THE GOOD NEWS). That was the first time I've seen more than one or two honey bees at a time in several years. Maybe things are looking up.

As I was checking out the boxwoods I found the BAD NEWS. It appears that under the fresh new green outside leaves, the inside of the boxwoods are dead. I hate to lose those boxwoods, they've been there since 1976. Back in the early 1970s a real estate lady told me that mature boxwoods add several thousand dollars to the value of a house.

bobski mentioned that he has lost a lot of boxwoods in Virginia Beach. I wonder if it's some sort of boxwood plague going through Virginia.

I guess I'd rather have the honey bees than the boxwoods, but it sure would have been nice to have both.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I don't know boxwoods from boxcars, but is it [possible that they've simply reached the end of their life-span?
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    I hope not.Maybe they need nourishment? Contact County Extension agent or local college AG. Dept.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like those boxwoods. Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rumor has it, you're next in line for a meltdown, Chief!

[:0]
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Uh oh, the beginning of the end!!
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Who'da thought gardening would be the trigger?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Jim,
    I had three large boxwoods in a row. Same everything and the one on the end just croaked and lost it's leaves. Although really hardy to most everything, sometimes it just happens. The other two show no sign of distress at all.
    If it's happening to all of yours, either you have some kind of underground infestation or they are lacking a nutrient.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    Most home centers have a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book and the Ortho Problem Solver set out on pedastels so you can check out your issues.

ALWAYS bring along a sample of your plant. Put it in a big freezer bag and keep it in the refrigerator.

Also, your county or state will have an Extension Service or a Farm Advisory Department (or something like that). Make an appointment or just go in there cold off the street (best way, I've found) and take your samples with you and ask for their advice. Some of these people ar knowledgeable and some are not. Some will try to blow you off and some will go to great lengths to help you. Don't be discouraged. Just say, well if you don't know anything about this, who in this office does have that knowledge. (The old "toss it back in their face" ploy). You'll find someone there that does know and is willing to help. Remember, you're paying their bills.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two things make me think it's some kind of disease. I just took out a boxwood at the other end of the house a few days ago which had been dead for a while and bobski said he had lost several boxwoods around Virginia Beach lately.
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    musta been a small boxwood. mine that died were as big as my thigh at the root and 10 foot high. james, seems our va boxwoods are suffering climate change. the hotter it gets, the worse they do. you having same problem morenorth? i lost over 25 boxwoods in 2 years. all were over 100 years old. but unlike you (officer) i used man skills and dug them out by hand, (enlisted.)
    There's another possibility though. I didn't make the connection this afternoon, but I found a hole against the house behind the boxwoods. The hole is a little bigger than the diameter of my leg and if it has a bottom I didn't find it. It could be some critter has tunneled under them and ate the roots.

Anyway, if they are dead it doesn't matter much what killed them. My plan for now is to hold off on trimming them and see if they try to make a comeback. If not I'll probably replace them with something. Maybe more boxwoods.

On the bright side, it really made me feel good to see all those honey bees.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    Could be spider mites. Triazicide (from Wallyworld) will kill them.
    A lot of shrubs are hard to kill, completely. Yours will probably survive, but may look like crap for a few years.