In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Our Connected Home

Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
AKA Our Smart Home with dumb occupants! [:D]

The Engineer that still lurks inside of me, even after 10+ years into retirement, still likes electronic gadgets and toys! If something can be automated, I'm on the quest to buy the widget! My wife, on the other hand, has a persona that fears technology; for her, the simpler the better! Along those lines to say we're the odd couple is an understatement; even after 40 years. Actually, she appreciates all of the technology and gadgets and what they do; as long as I take care of them and activate/deactivate them! And, if I enthusiastically start telling her about some new technology that I've discovered; all I see is her glazed over eyes and all she hears is Blah-Blah-Blah-Blah-Blah! She keeps telling me that she needs to go first; otherwise, she would never be able to operate most of the stuff in our home. She's a master of all of her appliances and can use the TV, DVR, her PC and Printer; but it's all downhill from there! As far as she's concerned, our home network is just something that happens!!!!!! I bought her an iPhone 5S for Christmas and she is doing pretty well with it and actually using it to take pictures; but I'm slowly introducing her to Apps so that I don't scare her to death! When we've been away from home; she's learned to use my iPhone and Nest App to turn off the Security Cameras when we return. The only App I've put on her phone, so far, is the Lifecake App so she can see the latest pictures and videos of our Grandson no matter where she's at and of course share them with her friends! However, changing settings or updating the iOS; uh, forget about it! [:D]

Anyway, in addition to several media devices, including a SONOS Bridge and Connect; I've already made our garage door, outside flood lights, outside wall lights, porch lights, and several inside lights controllable through LiftMaster's myQ technology. Our home thermostat is controllable through Honeywell's Total Connect Comfort system. We can monitor our home's security through Nestcams and I've replaced our smoke detectors with Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Since everything is connected to our home network (Wi-Fi), you can always monitor your home's status through Apps on your Smartphone or Tablet; I can even see our land phone's base unit on one of our Nestcams, so I can see if the message light is blinking and call the house phone and pick up any messages! However, there is a downside to all of this technology and being able to monitor your home while you're away; and that's the fear of hearing the "ding" your iPhone makes when you get an alert through one of your Apps!!!!!!! [:O]

Okay, if you've read through the preceding BS and your lips aren't too tired yet, the main reason for this thread is to mention my latest addition to make our home even more connected and it might be of interest to some folks here, especially if you frequently travel away from home. When we go away for a week or two during the summer, it is always a guessing game whether to allow the lawn sprinkler system to run on its preset schedule or shut it off. You monitor the weather predictions, but you just never know since it is still a guessing game. I've been looking at various Wi-Fi connected Sprinkler Timers for about a year and I really liked the Rachio, but virtually everything had to be controlled from your smartphone or tablet and problems could arise if it lost its Wi-Fi connection. My weekly mowing, edging, trimming, and blowing off the driveway and sidewalks is a 5 hour process and I'm pretty grungy and sweaty when I'm done. At that point I don't want to go into the house, get my iPhone or iPad, and handle it with dirty sweaty hands just to do a test run of all of the lawn sprinkler zones to be sure none were damaged in the mowing process. So, after seeing what was on the market, I ordered an Orbit b-hyve Smart Wi-Fi Sprinkler Timer because you can control it from your PC, your Smartphone, or your Tablet; and all features are controllable from the Timer's control panel! Yeah!!!

I installed it yesterday, easy installation and setup, and it appears to be working great! With it I have so much more control over the irrigation process than with my old Rain Bird ESP Modular Controller. If anyone is looking to add remote control of your lawn irrigation system, but you still want most of the controls to be accessible from the timer's panel as well as Wi-Fi; you might want to look at the Orbit b-hyve. It comes in 6 ($99) or 12 ($119) station models. Even if you enable all of the Smart Watering Features, which uses the Orbit servers for local weather conditions, if it loses its Wi-Fi connection it will still operate properly using the manual settings you programmed into it during setup.

End of free Public Service Notice. [:)]
Disclaimer; I'm not being compensated for this endorsement! [:(]

Edit to add: Of course, the Connected Home does require a few Network components and clutter!!! [:0][:D]

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

Comments

• Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is this thing called "lawn sprinkling" you speak of?

I've lived near four score and have never heard of such, to say nothing of having done so. My relationship with the green crap begins and ends with severing it from its roots at a desired height, give or take, and throwing the tow rope to She who got the tractor stuck in the soggy slop.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Damn!! Reading this, I am a serious Luddite. (I'm with your Wife.) The simpler the better.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What? No Alexa yet?

Back in the 90's we had a full on X-10 setup, but when that technology got stale there was a real void in the marketplace and I was not willing to pay $50 per device to get this house automated.

I got a few gadgets for Christmas and my birthday this year including an Alexa and a Wink Hub and relay. We have had the Honeywell thermostats for a while, I love them. We came home a day early from vacation, popped up the app about the time I hit the GA line last night and took the AC off of hold. House was nice and cool when we walked in!

I'm looking at the myQ stuff still trying to determine if it will work with the hubs I already have or if I need to buy ANOTHER one....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Captain, no Alexa, yet, although if I'd bought the Rachio, it does work with Alexa!

Yep, love the Honeywell Total Comfort! When we leave San Diego headed for home; when we arrive at the SD airport I put the home system in auto and when we arrive the house is the perfect temperature Winter or Summer!

Since I was using an older LiftMaster door opener, I did need to get a new myQ controller and a gateway.

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't gone Full Auto yet on the homestead...

But I've been thinkin' of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dang, Robert, I figured you'd have the Ultimate Connected Home!!!!!! [:D]

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Full Auto for me, is when I can get the Dog - to not crap on the pathway, from the driveway to the front door. Ahh life's little joys.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah for the simple life...

[:o)]
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Just don't forget to lock the safe. [:D]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a key to the back door of my house. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    Just don't forget to lock the safe. [:D]I knew there was something I still needed to automate! [:0] Alexa; lock the damn safe!!!! [8D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Captain, no Alexa, yet, although if I'd bought the Rachio, it does work with Alexa!

Yep, love the Honeywell Total Comfort! When we leave San Diego headed for home; when we arrive at the SD airport I put the home system in auto and when we arrive the house is the perfect temperature Winter or Summer!

Since I was using an older LiftMaster door opener, I did need to get a new myQ controller and a gateway.

When my last garage door opener burned out I got a liftmaster jackshaft.

walljackshaft.JPG

Since it sits off to the side it opens up the whole center of the garage. So then I put 2 4'x8' storage units from Costco up there.

350-100133736-847__1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I have a key to the back door of my house. DonIs it digital [?] Jack

• Options
    edited November -1
    Dang, Robert, I figured you'd have the Ultimate Connected Home!!!!!! [:D]
    I'm Mechanically inclined...
    If'n it involves anything more than a C-Cell battery, bulb, and switch.... I'm lost.

I leave all those dang new-fangled electronic thingies to my eldest son.
    The Electrical Engineering PHD student.

Your upper shelf looks like his top shelf in the 'studio'... Where he spends most his waking day when home.
    If he's not at the university lab that is.
    He's got all sorts of electrical gadgetry with antennae stickin' out of it.
    When it's time to do something with anything even resembling electrons...
    I call in the big gun and he takes care of it. [:D]
    Me... I just pay for it, sit, and enjoy the fruits of my payments. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a key to the back door of my house. DonIs it digital [?] Jack

No, it is a real house! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    When my last garage door opener burned out I got a liftmaster jackshaft.That's something that I've been considering!!!! I assume you like that style; any downside to it?

• Options
    edited November -1

When my last garage door opener burned out I got a liftmaster jackshaft.

walljackshaft.JPG

Since it sits off to the side it opens up the whole center of the garage. So then I put 2 4'x8' storage units from Costco up there.

350-100133736-847__1.jpg

HOLY SMOKE!

I sure hope the wife don't see that!
    I'd be re-arranging the garage for months to get it to look like that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a key to the back door of my house. DonIs it digital [?] JackNo, it is a real house! DonAhh, so it has physical walls, floors, and a ceiling; gotcha!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    HOLY SMOKE!

I'd be re-arranging the garage for months to get it to look like that!Yeah, I've been on alert to make sure my wife doesn't see that as well!!!!! [:0]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a key to the back door of my house. DonIs it digital [?] JackNo, it is a real house! DonAhh, so it has physical walls, floors, and a ceiling; gotcha!

But no damn air-conditioning! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a key to the back door of my house. DonIs it digital [?] JackNo, it is a real house! DonAhh, so it has physical walls, floors, and a ceiling; gotcha!But no damn air-conditioning! DonDammit, just dammit; guess we can't have it all! There's always Monday!

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I had a locksmith change all the locks in my house to the same key. He isn't real bright, but he works real cheap!

Peace

Dan

I have a key to the back door of my house. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    HOLY SMOKE!

I'd be re-arranging the garage for months to get it to look like that!

My garage is approaching maximum packing density. Left side is steel case cabinets and a fridge. (on top of the cabinets are 5 gal fuel cans and coolers) right side is large power tools generator, chipper shredder, pressure washer, lawn tractor and trash can. Above that hang all the weedwackers, edgers and shovels/hand tools. Back wall is shelving and gladiator rack mount for things like blower, walking golf carts and beach chairs. The front half of the ceiling has bicycles from left to right and the Thule "photon torpedo" roof rack. The ceiling above the door has the Saferack storage. When both cars are in I use about 70% of the available volume.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to get yourself a couple steers, save you a ton of work and good meat at the end of the year.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our home is totally automated. When it gets cold, I walk down, throw a couple of logs in the furnace, and the house gets warm again.

I tell you, it's a miracle!

And the only crash I have to worry about is dropping a coffee cup in the kitchen. Watering the grass? Hell, just encourages it to grow. Security system? Yeah, we got one. Weighs 110 lbs. Name is Roscoe.
    Lights? We found this wonderful device- called a switch. You can get them for about $1.29 at the hardware store. Best part is- they are Win 10 compatible!
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You electrical/gadget guys can make an old retired Mechanical/Statics/Dynamics guy's hair stand up on end!!!!
    (And I too am becoming more of a Luddite each and every day)

Those garage roof trusses weren't designed for a hanging load like that, and NO I don't want to figure out the new loads on what were once were 'zero load' vertical members. Yikes!!!! And Gadzooks!!!!!

350-100133736-847__1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    You electrical/gadget guys can make an old retired Mechanical/Statics/Dynamics guy's hair stand up on end!!!!
    (And I too am becoming more of a Luddite each and every day)

Those garage roof trusses weren't designed for a hanging load like that, and NO I don't want to figure out the new loads on what were once were 'zero load' vertical members. Yikes!!!! And Gadzooks!!!!!

350-100133736-847__1.jpg

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade.... [:D] My garage is under the master so it is designed as a load bearing span and what is stored up there is light but bulky stuff. I did replace the craptastic lag bolts it came with for some real load bearing hardware.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Our home is totally automated. When it gets cold, I walk down, throw a couple of logs in the furnace, and the house gets warm again.

And the only crash I have to worry about is dropping a coffee cup in the kitchen. Watering the grass? Hell, just encourages it to grow. Security system? Yeah, we got one. Weighs 110 lbs. Name is Roscoe.
    Lights? We found this wonderful device- called a switch. You can get them for about $1.29 at the hardware store. Best part is- they are Win 10 compatible!Well, sounds like you've got it covered, but you didn't mention cooling. 100 pound block of ice in the furnace with a big * fan aimed at it [?] [:D]

Oh, and is Roscoe trained to activate those $1.29 switches when you're away from home [?] [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    You electrical/gadget guys can make an old retired Mechanical/Statics/Dynamics guy's hair stand up on end!!!!We do tend to have our, uh, umm, idiosyncrasies!!!!! [:D]

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm willing to bet that Roscoe isn't afraid of the dark[}:)]

Lights? We found this wonderful device- called a switch. You can get them for about $1.29 at the hardware store. Best part is- they are Win 10 compatible!Well, sounds like you've got it covered, but you didn't mention cooling. 100 pound block of ice in the furnace with a big * fan aimed at it [?] [:D]

Oh, and is Roscoe trained to activate those $1.29 switches when you're away from home [?] [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm willing to bet that Roscoe isn't afraid of the dark[}:)]

Oh, and is Roscoe trained to activate those $1.29 switches when you're away from home [?] [:D]Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that you're right about that! [:D]

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    strong is the GEEKNESS in this thread[:(]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    I possess the wherewithal to do exactly as you have Bill, but have absolutely no desire for it. Can't see any benefit to it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    strong is the GEEKNESS in this thread[:(]I would have responded sooner, but I was upgrading the memory in my PC! [:I]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I possess the wherewithal to do exactly as you have Bill, but have absolutely no desire for it. Can't see any benefit to it.I can appreciate that! There are certainly benefits to the Connected Home technology!

We always set our Garage Door myQ control panel to locked when we are out of town, so it can't be opened with the remote controls. When we return home, if it is raining hard, we don't have to get out of the car and use the outside panel or go through the house and open the garage door, we just open it from our phones and drive in.

When we are away from home for an extended period of time, we always set our home thermostat to hold the temperature at a higher temperature during the summer and lower temperature during the winter. On our way back home we can take the thermostat off of hold and return it to its programmed schedule and by the time we get home the house is already at the right temperature!

It's the little things in life! [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1

I tell my wife that all the time! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's the little things in life! [:D]I tell my wife that all the time! DonShe probably knows by now!

• Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have a/c, heating, hot water heater, garage door opener. House has a 60A single phase service, coffee maker has an automatic timer. The TV is smart, IQ less than 100, wireless internet and home network.

The chickens eat the grass but need to mow / edge using a weed eater.

Nothing to automate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm still looking into Ring and SkyBell Wi-Fi doorbells as security devices. Both present challenges for mounting on our front doorway, but Ring would probably be the easiest to mount. I need to figure out how to make one of them work because if someone rings our doorbell while we're away from home; I like the feature of being able to see who it is and if necessary talk to them as if you were inside your home and have a video record of them!

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I possess the wherewithal to do exactly as you have Bill, but have absolutely no desire for it. Can't see any benefit to it.I can appreciate that! There are certainly benefits to the Connected Home technology!

We always set our Garage Door myQ control panel to locked when we are out of town, so it can't be opened with the remote controls. When we return home, if it is raining hard, we don't have to get out of the car and use the outside panel or go through the house and open the garage door, we just open it from our phones and drive in.

When we are away from home for an extended period of time, we always set our home thermostat to hold the temperature at a higher temperature during the summer and lower temperature during the winter. On our way back home we can take the thermostat off of hold and return it to its programmed schedule and by the time we get home the house is already at the right temperature!

Doing the cost/time benefit analysis, it just doesn't add up, to me. I can disable the garage door(s) by unplugging it(them). And the half an hour it takes to adjust temperature in my home upon return is more than tolerable, to me, since the climate is so perfect here anyway.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain