In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Denver Gun Show find (PICS) ? Colt Archive Update

Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a collector/dealer friend of mine and he mentioned that he was heading out to Denver for the Colorado Gun Collectors Association Annual Show. He went on to say that if you liked old Winchesters and Colts, this was probably the one show you should attend each year. Well, that got me thinking; "ROAD TRIP"! So, I mentioned the show to my wife and stated that I'd very much like to attend and to my great pleasure she didn't resist at all, just said let's go and started packing. She even helped drive 100 miles on each 900 mile leg of the trip. During the 14 hours total that we attended the show, walking up and down the rows many times, she carried the gun money and my high intensity gun examination light in her purse! When I bought a gun, she handed me the money and thanked me for helping lighten her load; after all, money is heavy! Yep, she's a real trooper and I truly love her!! [^] On the down side, after the show, she did complain that one of her shoulders was lower than the other, due to the weight of her purse, and that I might need to start carrying a man purse! [:0]

The show was approximately 1000 tables and Friday was the best show day since it wasn't open to the public; only the table holders, exhibitors, and out of state collectors. Some major shows have their niche; like the Cody, Wyoming show if you are interested in Winchesters or the Colt Collectors Association Show. However, since I like both Winchesters and Colts, this show was everything that I could want. I'm sure some people wouldn't like the show's polices and tactics, but the organizers would go around and if you had guns that could be bought at a major retail store (still available) then you had to get them off your table. Like I said, for a pure collector this was a dream show!! I showed great restraint in a show that had more quality guns than I've seen for sale in one location in a while; actually almost too much to select from.

I bought this Colt Single Action that was made in 1901 and chambered in 41 Colt (the pictures don't do it justice). It was, in my opinion, the best buy/value in the show. It has a mint bore and examining the chambers with a high intensity light I only see 2 that look like they've been fired. There's barely a nick on the firing pin, no marks on the recoil shield, and only a faint turn ring on the cylinder. It is truly almost unused. I'll call Colt this week and get a letter on the gun. I hope it actually went somewhere interesting (Simmons Hardware in St. Louis is like it shipped nowhere). I also considered buying a Winchester Model 1894 (30 W.C.F.) 20 inch Short Rifle and a 38-55 Saddle Ring Carbine to go with it, but decided to hold off on those purchases; although I got the collector's information and still might give them a call. The little Winchester Short Rifle was a 92-95% immaculate gun.

PB Picture removed.

PB Picture removed.

UPDATE:

Well, I called Colt today and here's the information:

The good news; it letters just the way I bought it (no surprise there)!

The bad news; it's a nowhere gun, meaning it shipped to Simmons Hardware in St. Louis, MO. Since Simmons was a distributor, it could have gone anywhere from there. There were 5 guns in the shipment and it shipped on October 23, 1901; one day off from my birth date, October 24th; but 44 years before I was born!

I'll have the actual letter in about 2-3 weeks.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Oh I LIKE that SAA! How much? Are you going to shoot it?
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Purdy! Make sure to post pics of the letter when you get it a year from now. [:o)]
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    beautiful pistol and a great piece of history!
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a collector/dealer friend of mine and he mentioned that he was heading out to Denver for the Colorado Gun Collectors Association Annual Show. He went on to say that if you liked old Winchesters and Colts, this was probably the one show you should attend each year. Well, that got me thinking; "ROAD TRIP"! So, I mentioned the show to my wife and stated that I'd very much like to attend and to my great pleasure she didn't resist at all, just said let's go and started packing. She even helped drive 100 miles on each 900 mile leg of the trip. During the 14 hours total that we attended the show, walking up and down the rows many times, she carried the gun money and my high intensity gun examination light in her purse! When I bought a gun, she handed me the money and thanked me for helping lighten her load; after all, money is heavy! Yep, she's a real trooper and I truly love her!! [^] On the down side, after the show, she did complain that one of her shoulders was lower than the other, due to the weight of her purse, and that I might need to start carrying a man purse! [:0]
    The show was approximately 1000 tables and Friday was the best show day since it wasn't open to the public; only the table holders, exhibitors, and out of state collectors. Some major shows have their niche; like the Cody, Wyoming show if you are interested in Winchesters or the Colt Collectors Association Show. However, since I like both Winchesters and Colts, this show was everything that I could want. I'm sure some people wouldn't like the show's polices and tactics, but the organizers would go around and if you had guns that could be bought at a major retail store (still available) then you had to get them off your table. Like I said, for a pure collector this was a dream show!! I showed great restraint in a show that had more quality guns than I've seen for sale in one location in a while; actually almost too much to select from.

I bought this Colt Single Action that was made in 1901 and chambered in 41 Colt (the pictures don't do it justice). It was, in my opinion, the best buy/value in the show. It has a mint bore and examining the chambers with a high intensity light I only see 2 that look like they've been fired. There's barely a nick on the firing pin, no marks on the recoil shield, and only a faint turn ring on the cylinder. It is truly almost unused. I'll call Colt this week and get a letter on the gun. I hope it actually went somewhere interesting (Simmons Hardware in St. Louis is like it shipped nowhere). I also considered buying a Winchester Model 1894 (30 W.C.F.) 20 inch Short Rifle and a 38-55 Saddle Ring Carbine to go with it, but decided to hold off on those purchases; although I got the collector's information and still might give them a call. The little Winchester Short Rifle was a 92-95% immaculate gun.

ColtSAA41Colt1901-1006aGBF.jpg

ColtSAA41Colt1901-1005aGBF.jpg

Thought you already had that covered![:0][:D]
    Very nice,.....I have been waiting for the pics.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    very nice looking revolver o.c.![:p]

there was one exactly the same at our local gun show for sale this year,but that one had been fired of course,but it was still in nice condition,and it was the same calibre, thats why he could`nt sell it...there is no .41 calibre ammo here,and he wanted around $1000au for it from momory...too much for me if i could`nt shoot it [B)]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    there was one exactly the same at our local gun show for sale this year,but that one had been fired of course,but it was still in nice condition,and it was the same calibre, thats why he could`nt sell it...there is no .41 calibre ammo here,and he wanted around $1000au for it from momory...too much for me if i could`nt shoot it[:0][:0]

I may be wrong, but isn't that about $780US [?]

Oh my, if so, I need to go down under to buy Single Actions!!!! [:p]

• dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    yeah...it would be around that with the exchange rates these days...you would be surprised at the prices on old single action colts and winchesters here...

i`ll send you an email with an auction site you can look up here, they only have 2 auctions a year, but if there`s anything you see that you like when the next one comes up don`t worry about getting it exported...if the auction place can`t help you, my local dealer can...he is licenced as an importer/exporter with customs here.
    edited November -1
    Wow, thanks Dan!!!

• hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NICE looking SAA. Congrats!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Oh I LIKE that SAA! How much? Are you going to shoot it?Let's just say I bought it for $1000 to $1500 below its market value! [;)]

The issue with shooting a gun like this is since it has seen so little use and some chambers appear unfired; you can actually start seeing your use appear as wear, not matter how little you use it. So, this one will probably remain retired in my safe. I have one or two that I still shoot.

• bintherebinthere Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that is really a first generation (1901) it's outstanding. If it's a second or third that has had he serial number altered, you still got a decent deal.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    On the down side, after the show, she did complain that one of her shoulders was lower than the other, due to the weight of her purse, and that I might need to start carrying a man purse! [:0]Thought you already had that covered![:0][:D]Nope, she keeps threatening me, but so far she hasn't enforced it! [:D]

• supereaglesupereagle Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice very nice you good quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

• supereaglesupereagle Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry fatfingered they keys awsome find you did goodquote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Purdy! Make sure to post pics of the letter when you get it a year from now. [:o)][:D][:D]

I think I'll spend the extra $50 and use Colt's call-in service to expedite the process. I'll find out all of the information the same day and get the letter in 2-3 weeks. I have no doubts about the configuration; this Single Action is unaltered. However, the dealer friend that I bought it from told me that if for some inexplicable reason the gun didn't letter in the same configuration he'll buy me lunch and give me my money back! [:D]

As with all of these never before lettered Single Actions what interests me the most is where the gun was shipped and the possibility that "sold to" information might also be available! [8D]

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is one nice looking Colt.
    Did you make it to the RR museum?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice! Wish I had the eye and the knowledge to buy those w/o getting screwed. [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    That is one nice looking Colt.
    Did you make it to the RR museum?Unfortunately no; so close, but we burned out! [:(]

At about 3pm on Saturday my wife and I both looked at each other and we could tell we'd walked the show until we had hit the wall. We'd planned to spend Sunday at the museum, but when we got back to the hotel we changed our departure date from Monday to Sunday. We'll plan things out a little better next year and make the museum!

However, we took I25 South out of Denver to Raton, NM and 87/287 across; wow, that was a pretty drive and we saw lots of Antelope as we crossed NM.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Very nice! Wish I had the eye and the knowledge to buy those w/o getting screwed. [8D]It really is a minefield out there when it comes to these old guns. Buying and collecting them certainly isn't for the timid and it takes lots and lots of research and hands on examinations to know what to look for and what you are looking at!

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O-C,......good thing you clarified the date of shipment and your B-Day.

For a moment there I thought you might be REALLY old![:0]

Regardless of what you were hoping for, it's still a very nice example.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    O-C,......good thing you clarified the date of shipment and your B-Day.

For a moment there I thought you might be REALLY old![:0]

Regardless of what you were hoping for, it's still a very nice example.[:D][:D]

Thanks Marc. When I talked to the Colt Archive Assistant today I mentioned that it shipped one day off from my birthday and we both chuckled when I clarified it occurred 44 years earlier.

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by binthere
    If that is really a first generation (1901) it's outstanding. If it's a second or third that has had he serial number altered, you still got a decent deal.

Trust me on this: O/C is the premiere Colt SAA authority. If it were altered/bogus, he would have given it back to the vendor after say, about ten seconds of examination. Best, Joe
    edited November -1
    Thanks Joe, that's very kind of you to say that; but you might have just set the bar a little bit high for me!!!! [:I]

• givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    No strokin' here. You've earned it, else I wouldn't have chimed in. The timber of his post prompted me to crawl out from under my rock, 'tis all

..now, I'm back to obscurity[:D]

Best, Joe
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    No strokin' here. You've earned it, else I wouldn't have chimed in. The timber of his post prompted me to crawl out from under my rock, 'tis all

..now, I'm back to obscurity[:D]

Best, JoeThanks again Joe! [:)]

• bintherebinthere Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, yea, yea, we all screw up now and then. I still say it looks too good to be an honest first generation.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by binthere
    Yea, yea, yea, we all screw up now and then. I still say it looks too good to be an honest first generation.

Yeah, and I say pay attention to these people, they know what their talkin bout, the homework has been done what else do ya need, just acknowledge that that is a beautiful revolver and you wish you had it[xx(] Old Colts damn that is a beautiful revolver and I wish I had It[;)] I do wish I knew enough to buy something like that as good a deal as you got, I woulda paid all the money!
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm amazed--looks like the original owner never even fired it--great find!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    I'm amazed--looks like the original owner never even fired it--great find!This old Single Action was truly only used a few times from what I can tell. I suspect it spent the majority of its life tucked away in a drawer. It was probably stored without a coating of oil, which I believe is the reason the Case Colors have faded on the exposed flat surfaces, but the recessed and protected areas are heavy and bright. Only two chambers show evidence of being fired. When you see one in this condition you really need to approach it with some skepticism and look for certain telltale traits. If you know what to look for; then with a few essential noninvasive tools like a jeweler's loupe, a good high-intensity examination light (buyer's best friend), and a frame gauge you can pretty much determine if it is original or not.

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Really, really nice OC, beautiful gun! [:p] I need to go down under too if first generation Colt's are that cheap! CCA has some VERY nice Colts at their shows/conventions too [^].

binthere
    quote:Yea, yea, yea, we all screw up now and then. I still say it looks too good to be an honest first generation.

...That statement explains why you should stick to collecting your BoonesFarm and HighPoints, something you know...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your latest Colt is a real gem, O-C. What a prize! [^][:p] I'd, say that it would make a perfect companion for a 38-55 SRC, too! You did say your lovely bride was a real trooper, right! [:D][;)]

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Raton-route from Denver to East Texas...I like that one too.

Beautiful Colt!

Also, thanks for the phone call from Denver, too. I greatly enjopyed speaking with you for the first time over the phone. [:)]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    Hey kimi; did you ever follow-up on that Whitney-Kennedy Rifle?

Yep, my wife is a real trooper; she's put up with the gun show circuit from coast to coast for some time now!

I really enjoyed our conversation too!

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Sure is a beauty O-C, which side of the frame will you be etching your initials in? [:D]
    edited November -1
    Sure is a beauty O-C, which side of the frame will you be etching your initials in? [:D]Both sides; but not my initials!! I plan to get my Dremel out this evening and inscribe my SSN. Might put it down the left side of the barrel too! [:0]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...Really, really nice OC, beautiful gun! [:p] I need to go down under too if first generation Colt's are that cheap! CCA has some VERY nice Colts at their shows/conventions too [^]. Thanks COLT! I let my membership in the CCA lapse many years ago and I haven't been to a CCA show since. I need to rejoin the Association and start attending the shows again. I've started attending the TGCA shows again and the annual show in Fort Worth this October promises to be a really good one. They seem to have a very nice balance of both Colts and Winchesters!

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a Colt or Winchester shipped back to the States from "down under". I wonder if they would have to mark it upon reentry.

edited November -1
    Sure is a beauty O-C, which side of the frame will you be etching your initials in? [:D]Both sides; but not my initials!! I plan to get my Dremel out this evening and inscribe my SSN. Might put it down the left side of the barrel too! [:0]

[:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    Hey kimi; did you ever follow-up on that Whitney-Kennedy Rifle?

Yep, my wife is a real trooper; she's put up with the gun show circuit from coast to coast for some time now!

I really enjoyed our conversation too!

Never did follow up on the Kennedy...dog gone it! I just have too many things kicking right now. Thank you for the help though. Talk later.
    What's next?
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ..NO..don't engrave your SS on that gun!!!![:0]...engrave your DL [:D]

quote:I wonder if they would have to mark it upon reentry.

...I'm not sure about the import procedures, need to check with one, shoot, for those prices a couple of nice Colts would pay for the trip AND pay for a nice one or two to call your own![:D]

...I bet the import mark is only for folks (guns[:D]) with the intent to resale, but not for sure...again, very nice Colt OC...[^]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    ..NO..don't engrave your SS on that gun!!!![:0]...engrave your DL [:D][:D][:D]

Hey COLT, I just had another thought; I'll see if I can find a valid case number here in Texas, say from about 1902, inscribe that number on the frame and generate a paper that says it was used in a killing here in Texas. That ought to fetch another $5K, easy, right!! [:0][}:)][;)][:D]

edited November -1
    ..NO..don't engrave your SS on that gun!!!![:0]...engrave your DL [:D][:D][:D]

Hey COLT, I just had another thought; I'll see if I can find a valid case number here in Texas, say from about 1902, inscribe that number on the frame and generate a paper that says it was used in a killing here in Texas. That ought to fetch another $5K, easy, right!! [:0][}:)][;)][:D]

Don't forget the Mickey Mouse imprint on the inside of the right grip, because that's aways good for a couple of thou! Know wut I mean? [:)]
    What's next?