In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Electrical system?

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
I have a 2003 F150. Several years ago the temperature and Compass display stopped working. It would just be black. I found a video on YouTube that showed how a certain resistor in the circuitboard could become loose and cause it to fail. I took it apart and that was exactly the problem. I do not have a soldering iron so I simply put the resistor back in place and taped it in location with good electrical tape. It now works well, the Compass working perfectly, but the temperature is about seven or 8? off. Could this be due to the electrival tape? Should i disassemble and solder?

Comments

• Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem originated with lead free solder whiskering.

Your current situation is the result of resistance in the temporary connection, which will fail.
    If you can resolder the resistor without damaging other components you win the fight.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, solder it, and the temp should be closer. Resistance in the crap connection will cause it to be inaccurate.

Merc
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It being a FORD you should have used BALING wire instead of tape.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck its only a couple few degrees off and you know that so what is the problem [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!