In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Gun Bust" in Bloomington, MN

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
Okay, as if the Chief Knight story out of Chaska, MN wasn't enough. It seems to me that the liberal politics and LEO organizations of Minnesota are starting to brew things up in support of the new AWB that has been introduced in the House of Reps.

I was watching the news with my father (who is a RKBA guy with a CCW and a couple guns) a couple nights ago. There was a "BIG STORY" on the news around 9pm about a gun dealer in Burnsville, MN who was "busted" with "large amounts of semiautomatic weapons" (in the words of a State Trooper on scene) and "explosives". The only "explosives" the mentioned were "blasting caps, fuses, and detonating devices". Let's see here. The ingorant LEO community in liberal states such as Minnesota may consider a case of shotgun primers as "blasting caps and detonating devices". A dozen or so semi-autos may constitute a "large amount" in their eyes. Cannon fuse is legal last time I checked--been at every gun show I've ever visited. They still haven't followed up with a report but I'm thinking about looking into this one.

The FBI, ATF, State Police, City of Burnsville Police and County Sheriff's Deputies were all on scene with "weapons experts from Camp McCoy, Wisconsin". I wonder how many fuddy duddy Barney Fife "weapon experts" are at Camp McCoy that don't even know the rate-of-twist on their M-16A2 rifles.

I told my dad that an innocent man was being arrested. They were trying to make him look like Zarqawi re-incarnate when he probably just had some extra smokeless powser on hand--just a tad above the limit that required you to have a special explosives license or something. It's sad because all of the neighbors were sent out of their homes by the JBT's and told to sleep somewhere else that night while the house of this 60-year-old gun dealer was being raided and searched. Yeah...almost forgot. This guy is a senior citizen with an FFL. Big threat there. They didn't make it apparent if his home was being used as his store front or if he was keeping inventory from his store in his home. Possibly another no-no.

JBT's are stepping it up in order to ramp up the stats so they can push for another AWB. Hold your carbines close fellas.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    It's hard to find online sources/links to this story. This is all I could find and it isn't much. The house in this story was raided as a lead developed from the original Burnsville, MN lead. This one is maybe 2 miles from where my parents live (where I am right now):

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=245428
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this the one? Bloomington instead of Burnsville?

Bloomington explosives case expands with munitions find
    By Chao Xiong, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 27, 2007 - 9:47 PM

Military-grade ammunition was found Tuesday at a south Minneapolis building linked to a man jailed the day before on suspicion of having military explosives at his home, Minneapolis police said.

A federal investigation that remains closely guarded by authorities became public Monday during a search of the man's Bloomington house. The investigation continued Tuesday at a commercial retail building at 5200 47th Av. S., which is owned by the man's wife, said Minneapolis Police Deputy Chief Rob Allen. The findings in Minneapolis are not as worrisome as those in Bloomington, he said.

"There's nothing that's raised our concern to the degree they were at in Bloomington," Allen said. "She's [the wife] being very cooperative."

Authorities would not speak in further detail about what was found in the Minneapolis building's garage. The building houses a convenience store, a massage center, a hair salon run by the suspect's wife and a second-floor apartment. No one was arrested Tuesday.

Allen said the man -- described by one acquaintance as a gun-show regular -- stored items on the property. Tenants said he was also the building's repairman. A Minneapolis police bomb squad was called to the scene, and a block was taped off.

The man, who hasn't been charged with a crime, was arrested Monday after authorities found "small quantities" of explosive materials and "quite a few" firearms at his home in the 1700 block of W. 84th Street, said Steve Bogdalek, assistant special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Authorities from the ATF, the FBI and the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension wouldn't say why or for how long the man was being investigated for possessing the materials. They refused to say whether his cache of detonation cords, blasting caps, guns and explosive materials was part of a larger operation. FBI special agent Paul McCabe said there is no public safety risk at this point.

The suspect has no criminal record in Hennepin County. He is being held at the Hennepin County jail without bond. Authorities have said the case could be presented for federal charges.

Most of the firearms recovered were legally owned by the man, Bogdalek said. All of the explosive materials recovered can be obtained legally -- some by permit and others without -- he added, refusing to say whether the man complied with the law in obtaining the materials.

Arlene Fernandes, who owns the massage center, said she was surprised with the search in Minneapolis because the suspect's wife is "prim and proper."They have all these little old ladies with blue hair that come in" to her salon, Fernandes said.

Chao Xiong 612-673-4391 cxiong@startribune.com
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The man, who hasn't been charged with a crime..."

????????????????????
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How many cans of powder and "Detonating Devices" must one have to be ilegal? I have a bunch of different powders for different loads and usually keep around 16 pounds of Shotgun powders around along with 10,000 primers at least. Holy Cow I got me an ammo dump....[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I goofed. I thought it was Burnsville. It was Bloomington. I couldn't find the original story. I watched it on the news a few nights ago.
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST WATCHED THE VIDEO ON THIS RAID. COPS SAYS AT LEAST A DOZEN OR SO SEMI - AUTO WEAPONS. ???

WHATS THE LAW AGAINST THAT IF THEY ARE NOT " HOT " ?

MORE MEDIA B.S. AND FAT LADIES COMMENTS SCREENED OUT, EXCEPT KNEW HE WAS A GUN DEALER !! WHY ???

WEAPONS GRADE AMMO -- MORE EXPLAINING NEEDED BUT WE WON'T GET IT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry
    http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=burnsville,+mn&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Burnsville is right over the river ...

Yeah. I grew up in South Minneapolis. Dad's worked in Burnsville since I was in Junior High. Been there a million times.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was watching "To catch a Predator" last night....

Appearently on the next show, a perp shows up with an "arsenal" in his trunk.

I can't wait to see what it consists of [xx(]
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUN DEALERS ( FUTURE PROGRAMMING ) STINGS WAVE OF THE FUTURE.

ALREADY HAVE THE CATCH A PREDATOR STUFF NOW ( PRESENT PROGRAMMING )

BETTER THAN AMERICAN IDOL, I HOPE SO !! THE MOLESTER STUFF GOOD , LEGAL GUN DEALERS BAD IDEA.

ILLEGAL DEALERS , MAYBE !
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Here goes another wild goose chase. It's very worriesome that they are being so "close guarded" with the investigation. They could be setting the guy up in all kinds of ways. I don't trust this. Sounds very fishy.
  • Options
    jbc23060jbc23060 Member Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course they're closely guarded. They're afraid the truth will leak. The timing on this stuff sucks and you can bet that when the truth does come out, it will be buried on page Q47.
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    "All of the explosive materials recovered can be obtained legally -- some by permit and others without -- he added, refusing to say whether the man complied with the law in obtaining the materials."

Look this man has BIG SCARY GUNS AND STUFF! He's bad. Massive police investigation.

oh but its all legal

What a bunch of BS violating his right to keep and bear arms, and protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

Where are those hundreds of people that showed up to that virginia city hall meeting?

I think its time gun owners started protesting. Imagine a million armed man march.

You have the right to bear arms and you have the right to peacefully assemble, and the two can be done at the same time.

Imagine the impact 1 million armed US citizens peacefully marching on Washington in protest would have.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks

Imagine the impact 1 million armed US citizens peacefully marching on Washington in protest would have.

I imagine it would result in several of the marchers being killed by the Secret Service and or D.C. police
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah but we'd rape a few of them first [:0][:X]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think its time gun owners started protesting. Imagine a million armed man march.

You have the right to bear arms and you have the right to peacefully assemble, and the two can be done at the same time.

With that kinda force, we might as well march down to Mehico City and establish our own Republic...
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman--Please keep us updated on this case.
    I went to the web sites of the tv station and newspaper cited above, no news this morning on this case.
    I am anxious to get the details.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sad! I don't know what more to say.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle

With that kinda force, we might as well march down to Mehico City and establish our own Republic...

Good laugh, thank you...

but, this OUR COUNTRY lets fix it first. ;)
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, who wants mine....

sigh
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    In the old days, preceding "shays rebellion" (which ended in an attack on a federal arsenal where all of 4 people were killed) the "rebels" would peacefully assemble outside courthouses, armed with muskets, pitchforks, whatever they had.

The courts started sending militia to court houses, but no shots were fired on either side.

Many court houses would close, some stayed open.

You can bet those inside the courthouse paid more attention to the law and rights of the people when the people were waiting outside armed.

The lawmakers break the law and violate the constitution, there is an armed mob outside ready to break the law.
    They were practicing the right to peaceably assemble and bear arms at the same time. The US constitution had not yet been written, so if they did not mean to protect such actions, they would have said so in the constitution.

Any such march would have to make it VERY clear that they have no intent to use their firearms, and are not threatening any public official.
    Just march to the Washington memorial or something, not the white house or congress.
    I'd like to see the cops try and arrest a million people for exercising their right to bear arms.

Thats the point of civil disobedience, its not really enough to just gather.
    The black civil rights movement had many members go to jail, they showed the laws violated their rights and overwhelmed the law with their numbers.

I don't think the cops would have the guts to go up to a million(or even 100,000) armed people and try and arrest them.

At the very least it will force the govt to stop ignoring the issue.

How long has it been since a 2nd amendment case was heard?

If one gets to court, the gun bans won't have a leg to stand on, and a march would force the issue into court. For an event that will be made so public the supreme court will have to hear a case arising from it.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i believe the law is that anything over 25 lbs of gunpowder must be stored in an approved vault etc etc...bla bla bla. but i think the catch is......a 25lb CAN, not 25 little 1lb cans of different powders.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bobski--I think you are right but I also think that posession over that 25lbs requires a special license to sell/possess a certain class of explosives. I could be wrong but I think it's something along those lines.

Secondly, should these police reports be availabe per the Freedom of Information Act? I'm kind of in a bad position to be raising a lot of red flags in my own general direction due to my current employment and my particular job within that realm of employment. I would be interested to track all of the police reports, court documents and any paperwork generated by the federal alphabet agencies (they're all involved in this one/ATF/FBI/city/county/state/Camp McCoy "Weapons Experts" [:o)])".
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I know there is a limit to BLACK POWDER one can have in possession, never heard of anything on smokeless powder or primers.

HVOF: wasnt the guy with the arsenal caught on "To catch a Preditor" a Deputy of some sorts?
  • Options
    gunslinger3244gunslinger3244 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea of a million armed citizen march on Washington sounds great until the liberal media gets hold of it. They would put such a destructive spin on this non violent protest that anyone who participated in this would be either fired on or imprisoned for any number of crimes against the government. The mere mention of armed citizens would strike terror in the hearts of the media elite! This is due to the overwhelming idiotic stance the anti gunners have spewed to the uneducated masses. We as lawful gun owners would never get a fair shake in doing this, intead Katie Coric would have a field day with us and futher place our freedoms at the mercy of the anti-gunners. You can bet that if the people of New Orleans demostrated against the refusal to give back thier arms, Mayor Nagin would not hesitate to call in the national guard to beat them back!