In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I have this gun . . . Win Model 70

stickpigstickpig Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have a Winchester Model 70 300 Mag and I would like to know its approximate value. I am guessing that it was manufactured some time in the 60's or early 70's. I know that the pre-'64 Model 70's are in high demand, but I am pretty sure it is not that old. It has a Leopold VariX II 3x-9x scope. It is in very good shape. I've knocked down 4 bucks with it, so I know it shoots straight.

I'm sure that there are books out there that have what I need, but I thought I would go the lazy route first. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Its worth at least 4 bucks.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Bidding is on? I'll bump cartod for $5 depending on shipping costs

b
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a gun once.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I bought an early 70's Model 70 new for $212. Nice rifle. In 300 mag. now would be worth $475-575. Add $150-200 for the used scope and mountings.
    I'd say it would bring $650-$700 on the auction side.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Try the experts forum. Sure if you post here you will get more replies. But most of them from what you can see will be worthless.

Pictures really help.
  • stickpigstickpig Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Will do.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Details would help.....if it is a pre 64 that will make a BIG difference. I know you said you aren't certain if it was or not....give us the serial number and we can tell you that much.

The market on rifles is all about the time of year you are trying to sell....if it isn't a pre 64. Hunting rifles bring the most after August. Take the scope off and sell it seperately. You should get about $100 for the scope by itself, but it will not add $100 to your gun if you sell them together.

Synthetic stock or wood, how is the blue, shot a ton....how is the bore?
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post the serial number minus the last two digits.

Very good Pre-64's can easily bring $1000.00 or more in desired calibers. .243, 257 Roberts, 300 Win Mag are easier to sell than most others.
  • stickpigstickpig Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 7550XX. As I understand this is the serial number for a model 70 made in 1964, not before.

The stock is structurally ok, with a few blemishes on the butt. Action is clean & smooth. Blue is good, but not perfect.

Scope is in great shape.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking around a bit to see what is happening with these you will quickly see there aren't many buyers right now. You can get a reasonable amount out of it if you clean it up really really well and take a TON of pictures of it. Do a penny auction with no reserve and I bet it does under $400...or just put a buy it now of $350 on it.....BUT (don't freak out yet)....if you put your scope on for $100 that will get you the MOST possible. Try this closer to hunting season and you will do a bit better, but it won't "double" your money or anything like that. It is what it is....a used hunting rifle. I am guessing in the peak you will do good to get $450 out of it. Good luck!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle was manufactured in 1965.

You can check the full serial number yourself at the link below.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm

Using your description of the rifle. I agree with Locust Fork. $350 would be a good start and $500 the max.