In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Those of you that re-prime 22 rimfires

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
I'm wondering if the priming compound gets back under the rim sufficiently so that if the firing pin hit the previously smashed spot, will the cartridge still fire? or do you need to make sure that the firing pin will hit a new spot on the rim?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you that the factory's
    "SPIN" the cases to extrude the compound
    out to the edge of the rim.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I remember a small rifle that used Black powder that shot i think #4 buck shot made out west as a kid's gun That would seem simpler To convert to something like that
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I'm wondering if the priming compound gets back under the rim sufficiently so that if the firing pin hit the previously smashed spot, will the cartridge still fire? or do you need to make sure that the firing pin will hit a new spot on the rim?

The reloaded .22 ammo people use for target shooting and the chances of hitting that same spot that was struck by the firing pin before is pretty slim but if it does so what? Just eject it.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen .22s being produced at CCI on TV. They didn't spin the cases. The wet primer was pressed in very simply. When you have the perfect amount of primer compound and press it in, it spreads into the rim.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    From the answers, I wasn't clear on the question. For that recently available equipment where we can reprime/load fired 22rf cases, I'm concerned that where the rim has been hit by the firing pin, the rim will be pushed together. The feared result will be that when the new priming compound is put into the case, while it would fill in where the rim wasn't pushed together, that there would not be space for it in and around the "hit" portion. the result would be a case that had priming compound in most, but not all of the rim.

If this is how the process would work one solution would be to make a tool that could be inserted into the case to expand the compressed portion of the rim to allow compound to fill in around the entire rim.

This may not be considered practical, so the other solution would be to make sure that when the cartridge was being chambered that the dent was not in line with the firing pin- or as noted, just eject the mis-fire and try the next one in line.

Seems like a lot of trouble- but I find all of these discarded 22 rf's at the range and it seems like they could be put to use- somehow.[8)]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter could you elaborate on that enough that I could Google it?? Don't think I would ever do it but it sounds interesting.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hopefully, I'll never become so desperate for .22 ammo that I have to reload it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    hopefully, I'll never become so desperate for .22 ammo that I have to reload it.
    The only way I would ever be caught reloading .22 ammo is with a machine that spits out 1 million shells an hour.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    The only way I would ever be caught reloading .22 ammo is with a machine that spits out 1 million shells an hour.

You rich guys are always trying to impress everybody with you're unlimited stash of .22 rounds. Not everybody has the big bucks like you and Doc. [:p]
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 22 misfire and turned the case to give it one more try, the area that took the first firing pin strike blew out. Is that a problem with reloaded 22lr?
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Happens a percentage of the time, too often if you are a perfectionist, but "Meh" for me
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    I have seen .22s being produced at CCI on TV. They didn't spin the cases. The wet primer was pressed in very simply. When you have the perfect amount of primer compound and press it in, it spreads into the rim.

that's how Winchester does too
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    The reloaded .22 ammo people use for target shooting and the chances of hitting that same spot that was struck by the firing pin before is pretty slim but if it does so what? Just eject it.

Buy a 550 round box of Remington Thunderbolt LR if you need a lot of practice at ejecting rounds that fail to fire..