In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dodge truck question

mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
So Makaila has the opportunity to by an old dodge 4x4 to keep at her inherited property on MV

The last time we were up north a neighbor lady - widow offered to sell it to her - as she had just bought an orange suburu cross trek

It's a 1978 full size short bed regular cab fleet side...

4x4 with a manual transmission and power nothing...

Tan exterior with a tan interior - heat and ac...

No passenger side mirror - no passenger side visor...

Vinyl bench seat - am stereo - after market period correct under dash fm tuner...

Does not appear to have much rust - only surface rust and paint loss patina that I could see...

And it's a turbo diesel - but here is were i am at a loss...

It's not a Cummings inline 6 it's a mitsubishi 3.7 liter v6...

Apparently a 1 year only rarer than hens teeth mill.

The mileage is a documented 87,000 miles.

Needs an exhaust - has new brakes and new snow tires...

Offered price is $5,000.00

I think it's a sweet deal based on condition and records.

But the question mark is the engine - quality - reliability - parts avaioability...

Any thoughts - input - sage advice - expert opinions???

Mike

Comments

• Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll be best served posting that on Dodgepowerwagons.com

Somebody there might have your answer.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember a few of them. We had on in our shop class in high school that a local dealer donated. The engine was an idustrial model used in farm equipment. It cost so much to modify one by adding a turbo and installing a larger injecter pump to get the RPMs up so the truck could run the speed limit that they only made a few of them. Valve floating was dicussed in shop about an engine designed to run at about 2400 being pushed to do 3600 rpm just to run it in a truck.

It may be hard to get parts for it unless you find an Ag equipment dealer that deals in Mitsubshi engines.

Cant say about the value. But 5K sounds a little steep for any base stock 78 Dodge truck.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be a cool vehicle to have as an extra vehicle, perhaps not for her use but as an odd ball collectible it sounds cool. There is some Dodge geek out there that would probably pay through the nose for that truck.
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    It would be a cool vehicle to have as an extra vehicle, perhaps not for her use but as an odd ball collectible it sounds cool. There is some Dodge geek out there that would probably pay through the nose for that truck.

I remember them but don't know anyone that owned one. If I remember right they were pretty underpowered and never sold well. Don't get your hopes up on a collector paying big bucks for it. I've got a 77,000 mile original factory equipped 440 RamCharger SE. No factory numbers but I believe less than 100 were build during their 4 year run. It would be hard to get $3000 for it.Dave
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the EMP goes off, you'll be the only one driving around.

stories-from-the-front-why-jericho-was-the-best-tv-show-ever-654331.jpg
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mitsubishi is not known their (early) engines. I'd avoid this one like the plague.

One year production should give you the biggest clue.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I loved it all the way up until the engine. I wouldn't touch a Mitsubishi diesel.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had one 440 and three 413 chryler v8 engines set back after i changed them out with 4 cylinder JD diesel irrigation engines ..finally sold them and a bunch of stuff for $1500...no collectors around..however it's a gamble on a low use vehicle for limited use ...antique tag $17 a year and liability insurance ??...i found a nice 1991 geo tracker 4wd 95k new top and tires and put new gaskets, seals and brakes on it to leave at our lake place ....just for fun
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila is going to offer $3500.00 all in...

Dependant on a mechanic of her choosing giving it the once over...

She likes to be different - and her judgment may be flawed - she is dating me.

Mike
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila made the call and the offer was excepted.

Because the widow said we are nice people - a nice couple.

She wants to put antique / qq tags on it and will pay very little to ensure it.

She wants it serviced and detailed and plans on a new exhaust.

I have suggested clearcoating it to keep the vintage look.

I have suggested a trickle maintenance charger and a block blanket during winter...

And there is a block heater - plug in thing - I have never owned a vehicle with a block heater.

With front and rear lockers and almost ag profile winter tires it should do ok in the bad weather and snow.

She has no intention of taking it off of the island - and having it as a back up beater hobby vehicle.

Under those circumstances I think things will be ok - unless and until something goes wrong with the engine...

And there are a few other oddities...

And engine operation hours gauge.

Only the drivers side door has a key slot - lock.

There are orange lights paired with the headlights.

I appreciate your advice and thoughts.

There is something sexy about a woman who drives a vintage 4x4 trucks with a manual gearbox...

She wants to spend Christmas or new years holed up in the cabin with me away from everything.

Mike
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075

There is something sexy about a woman who drives a vintage 4x4 trucks with a manual gearbox...

She wants to spend Christmas or new years holed up in the cabin with me away from everything.

Mike

That sounds nice!
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a block blanket if the block heater works. Just remember to use winter grade fuel.Dave
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:it's a mitsubishi 3.7 liter v6

Just noticed that..

Look again. It should have an Inline 6 cylinder 6DR5 4.0L engine..

Kobelco equipment is one company that I know that used the same engine.