In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another noble or stupid

reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Guy I work with had a 17 year old daughter that went in for a medical procedure(breast reduction),she died on the operating table. Sued and collected just shy of 4 million dollars. He and his wife donated the entire amount they received to their church. They both continue to work to this day. This incident took place about 10 years ago. He has a bumper sticker on his car that reads.."I'm an Angels Daddy". The guy works overtime nearly every day to make ends meet...So, noble or stupid?

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow tuff question
    JMHO very unselfish act , nothing against the church , but that would not be my first choice of donation of such a amount .
    the daughter would be proud of there gift , however I would bet she would have wanted them to keep enough to live on with no worries of financial issues
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And it could well have been that to have kept one penny of it would have driven him- and/or his wife- crazy. Some people would feel they were benefitting from the death of their child. Unlike some of the crap I have seen coming from places like Ferguson, they sound like people with a conscience.

Their choice- and may God give them peace and comfort.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of two things maybe both

they think that they can buy their way into heaven {ive seen that often}

any fortune from the money would be filled with guilt, every purchase would remind them of her

i'm leaning toward number one, or they would not have proceeded with the lawsuit
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odd... if you're going to give it away then why bother suing? If you're such a good Christian that you'd give it to your church, then why not forgive the negligent party and not enrich attorney's etc by suing?
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Odd... if you're going to give it away then why bother suing? If you're such a good Christian that you'd give it to your church, then why not forgive the negligent party and not enrich attorney's etc by suing?
    Maybe he thought that would be better than killing some people who needed killing. The lawyers get rich either way.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stupid. They could've spent the cash on therapy and still had cash left over. Taking blood money and washing it through the church. I suppose the church can use that cash for hush money. Hookers and alter boys ain't cheap.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW & ODD. Other than opinions there really is not a definitive answer. I'm sure much has to do with the way they were brought up. Good or bad[?] And to each their own.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    One of the most stupid things I've ever read.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    And again, not for me to judge.

My everlasting opinion on tithing, however, is that if god were powerful enough to create the Earth, what would she need money for?
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    And again, not for me to judge.

My everlasting opinion on tithing, however, is that if god were powerful enough to create the Earth, what would she need money for?

God doesn't need our money. Its all his anyway. Its a show of faith. Do you have faith enough to give what you have been asked to. Its like anything else. God will ask you to do things that might make no sense to you. But he has a plan. It took me a long time to realize I needed to tithe on my entire salary. But when I did. I never miss it. I think these people wanted to prove a point. But didn't want to get rich from their daughters death. I don't really agree with the lawsuit to begin with. But do respect their decision to not profit from the death of a loved one.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to say what anyone would or wouldn't do, sometimes even in their shoes the answer may be different one day or the next.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Hard to say what anyone would or wouldn't do, sometimes even in their shoes the answer may be different one day or the next.

Ive learned that the hard way. We never know how we will react to a situation. Until we are in that situation.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was "monkey paw" money. Not a good idea to ask for it, let alone keep it.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to say what they were thinking. Unless you ever lost a child you won't understand.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ohvqwsNkk

https://www.naij.com/55285.html

1. Bishop T. D Jakes: Bishop Jakes lives in a $1,700,000 mansion, he has been called America's best preacher and has been featured on the cover of TIME magazine. He is a writer, preacher and movie producer. Thomas Dexter "T. D." Jakes, Sr. is the bishop/chief pastor of The Potter's House, a non-denominational American mega church, with 30,000 members, located in Dallas, Texas. T.D Jakes wears custom made suits and sports a diamond ring the size of a coin. This man of God has been endowed with a $150 million net worth.

. Benny Hinn: Israeli televangelist,Toufik Benedictus "Benny" Hinn has an estimated net worth of $42 million. He is best known for his regular "Miracle Crusades" - revival meeting/faith healing summits that are usually held in large stadiums in major cities, which are later broadcast worldwide on his television program, "This Is Your Day". Hinn was born on December 3, 1952.

6. Creflo Dollar: American Bible teacher, pastor, and the founder of World Changers Church International, Creflo Dollar, has an estimated net worth of $27 million. As his name suggests, this preacher's "manna" comes in form of the green buck.

. Kenneth Copeland: He runs Kenneth Copeland Ministries, was one of several televangelists whose finances were investigated from 2007 to 2011 by Republican Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa.

According to an article by the Associated Press that ran in 2008, "His ministry's 1,500-acre campus, behind an iron gate a half-hour drive from Fort Worth includes a church, a private airstrip, a hangar for the ministry's $17.5 million jet and other aircraft, and a $6 million church owned lakefront mansion.

The article later added that while Copeland has not released up-to-date salary statements, "the church disclosed in a property-tax exemption application that his wages were $364,577 in 1995; Copeland's wife, Gloria, earned $292,593. It's not clear whether those figures include other earnings, such as special offerings for guest preaching or book royalties."

8. Billy Graham: American evangelical Christian evangelist, William Franklin "Billy" Graham, Jr., has a net worth of $25 million. The Southern Baptist evangelist rose to celebrity status as his sermons started getting broadcast on radio and television. Graham was born on a dairy farm near Charlotte, North Carolina in 1918, he has conducted many evangelistic crusades since 1948. He is now a world renowned televangelist raking in millions of dollars.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...seems to me money wasn't the answer they were looking for...new cars, new house,etc will never bring back their child...and it was their decision....
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Very sad story either way. Either would not replace their loss. They chose what they felt best with. I'm not to judge or question that.
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't quite understand how you're confused or upset about this.

The face that they sued and won indicates that the doctor did something very wrong. Losing such a huge judgment can make it difficult for a doctor to get insurance, and they may have effectively put him or her out of business. If the doctor was not doing a good job, putting him out of business would seem to be a good thing.

As for giving it to the church, what would you rather have them do? Buy some sweet Camaros or a huge beach house in Florida?

What if their church does outreach for the poor or helps drug addicts or whatever, and that $4 million would go a long way to helping people?

It seems like you're saying, "Hey, they could have paid off all their bills and lived a sweet, swinging life with the $4 million dollars, and like a bunch of chumps they still work for a living. What a bunch of dopes!"

I can honestly say I would be proud to know a man and a woman who did a self-less act in the memory of their child.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will neither second guess, nor judge their actions. They lost their daughter. What they did was the correct, right, and proper thing for them to do.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    I don't quite understand how you're confused or upset about this.

The face that they sued and won indicates that the doctor did something very wrong. Losing such a huge judgment can make it difficult for a doctor to get insurance, and they may have effectively put him or her out of business. If the doctor was not doing a good job, putting him out of business would seem to be a good thing.

As for giving it to the church, what would you rather have them do? Buy some sweet Camaros or a huge beach house in Florida?

What if their church does outreach for the poor or helps drug addicts or whatever, and that $4 million would go a long way to helping people?

It seems like you're saying, "Hey, they could have paid off all their bills and lived a sweet, swinging life with the $4 million dollars, and like a bunch of chumps they still work for a living. What a bunch of dopes!"

I can honestly say I would be proud to know a man and a woman who did a self-less act in the memory of their child.
    The guy is a buddy of mine..I have worked with him for over 20 years...I just asked a question of the crowd here.