In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what is .22 ammo going for these days?

lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'm getting into the .22 plinking and need some ammo. Haven't bought any .22 LR in 10 years or more, just wondering what to expect and where to buy. Every Wal Mart I've been in since Christmas doesn't have any to buy, except for a few small boxes of specialty .22LR.

I also need a little education on the stuff to avoid, size, name, etc.

thanks as always, you guys have helped my ignorance again and again.

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lindalecowboy
    I'm getting into the .22 plinking and need some ammo. Haven't bought any .22 LR in 10 years or more, just wondering what to expect and where to buy. Every Wal Mart I've been in since Christmas doesn't have any to buy, except for a few small boxes of specialty .22LR.

I also need a little education on the stuff to avoid, size, name, etc.

thanks as always, you guys have helped my ignorance again and again.

$20-25 a 500.....ripoff in my book.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    $30 for the 550 packs (if you can find them)
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you catch it in retail stores up to $15 for 500 rounds. Academy in Mesquite had 15 bulk packs Remington for $15 each. If you are in dyer need, i could grab a couple for you if rockwall is a path you travel, meet up and exchange.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    If you catch it in retail stores up to $15 for 500 rounds. Academy in Mesquite had 15 bulk packs Remington for $15 each. If you are in dyer need, i could grab a couple for you if rockwall is a path you travel, meet up and exchange.

WOW, thanks for the offer, I live in east Texas, never really get that way unless planned trip. I will give them a call and see if they still have some and might make a quick trip over. I need some and can't find it around here and on line sales are terribly high.

thanks for your generous offer.
    edited November -1
    Maybe tyler store has some, mighthelp save some driving. Check wal mart too
    edited November -1
    Maybe tyler store has some, mighthelp save some driving. Check wal mart too

Just checked the Tyler store this weekend and had nothing. I also check 3 wally worlds on a regular basis around here and they never have any. Rumor has it they are working with a close knit bunch of locals that get all they bring in. Nobody ever seems to see any on these wally world shelves.
    edited November -1
    :) well, my local wal mart calls me and my neighbor when they get stuff in... It doesn't always help, but sometimes I get to score some 9mm.

Academy in Mesquite has .357, .38, 9mm, and bulk .22's out the the tailpipe. You might call and request they hold some for you because of your drive. Ask for Joe. Hes not the team leader, but a good guy anyways.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked here, American Eagle 400-count bricks were $25+.[:(!]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too damn much.[V]
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    when you find them at wally world $14-15 a box 550, 12 months ago $10 and all you care to want,
    this is when i started buying bulk packs 4-6 a month,

now im shooting instead of hunting rounds
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a gun store in Raleigh NC and 50 22 federal lr bullets were 10.99. Thats insane. They also had a Taurus stainless 44 mag for 900 dollars. 2 years ago i paid 400. They were still busy with them prices..[:(!]
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At my local gun store I paid $16 for 500 of the Federal blue box this week.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    Too damn much.[V]

won't be too much when they get to 100.00 ...and they will[;)][V]
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy at Walmart said they get 6 boxes (bricks of 500) each morning. Each morning the first person to get there buys all six at about $16.

Gander Mountain (last week0 had no bricks. Boxes of 50 were $3.50-$4 each.

It's still pretty bad out there.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Depend is it for a bolt,lever, or semi auto. The semi's are the only ones I have had trouble with dirty ammo.
  • bustinstainlessbustinstainless Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    regular prices twin cities minnesota
    cci standard 5.99 per 100
    stingers 5.99 per 50
    etc.
    edited November -1

\Hey thermo, had a buddy call me this morning to tell me he had caught the restocking truck at the Tyler Academy and brought me two bricks for $13+ each. See, you were right, just got to know somebody.

thanks, I got two out of the deal, which will last me a while getting used to my new Ruger MkIII and shooting in a couple of my club matches. I'll keep an eye out for any new available. I really appreciate your willingness to help.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Got Lucky, Cal ranch got em in finally, after months of being in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, bought two federal Bricks of 550 each for 19.99 apiece which is still f....in ridiculous but happy to have found some. good luck
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    same as it's always been sold at....

no price-change/-increase here.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahordnk
    Got Lucky, Cal ranch got em in finally, after months of being in the wrong spot, at the wrong time, bought two federal Bricks of 550 each for 19.99 apiece which is still f....in ridiculous but happy to have found some. good luck

WTH is going on in our state? We don't have much to worry about. I had to stop @ Wmart tonight for my wife, I stopped at the gun counter and the gal said a guy came in a bought the whole pallet they got yesterday for $1200
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bustinstainless
    regular prices twin cities minnesota
    cci standard 5.99 per 100
    stingers 5.99 per 50
    etc.
    Mills Fleet Farm $1.89 per box of 50 winchester white box