In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oil rig disaster: Anybody down there?

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
I'm surprised nobody has been discussing this oil rig disaster in the gulf. It seems like a pretty major story. What started out as a seemingly minor disaster suddenly has turned into a record breaking one. They say at minimum, there is 200k gallons of oil a day pouring into the gulf. Other experts estimate it could be as high as 800k gallons a day.
They're saying this could shut down shrimp harvesting and all fishing for the entire year! Once oil hits the beaches, nobody's going to want to go down there. This will cost the gulf coast region thousands of jobs, and billions of lost revenue from the loss of tourism. I'm surprised the markets aren't tanking worse on this news.
They're saying it could realistically take 3 months to shut off the flow of oil! There used to be a few guys in the industry on the board. Anybody have any insight into this? Your opinions are probably more valuable than what the media is being fed by BP and the government.
What are the options, (in lehmans terms) to get this under control? 90 days, plus? The entire gulf will be a black pool of oil by then.

I'm not a staunch environmentalist but when you see a disaster like this, it's just about sickening to think how much land and life will be destroyed. There'll be long term affects long after this is no longer a story. It's amazing that there was never a plan in place to deal with a catastrophe like this. Maybe they shouldn't drill anymore wells until they learn to properly deal with and contain a disaster like this?

Comments

• Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure if anyone knows how much oil is being pushed up into the water daily. Some reports say 50K per day and the highest I heard today was maybe 100K per day...definitely had not heard the min of 200K number.

There were and are plans to prevent this from happening on these type rigs, but there is speculation that either they were not turned on/active or that the incident happened so fast that those around the failsafes could not respond before they were either killed or forced away from that area.

As to clean up, the ocean currents and wave action is proving to be a major hinderance to any plans of attack
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    Some reports say 50K per day and the highest I heard today was maybe 100K per day...definitely had not heard the min of 200K number.

I've been catching Fox news on XM radio on and off for a few days. The last couple of days, they have been reporting that it is spilling at minimum 210k gallons a day and that that is the conservative estimate. They said today that an independent agency that has studied satellite photographs for decades, believes it could be much worse and possibly putting out as much as 850k gallons a day, at the rate it is expanding. How they would come up with that, I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me that the 'official' reports would be trying to supress the number as low as possible to make it less upsetting to the public who wouldn't be able to know any different anyway.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. I'm here. About 15 miles from the gulf. We are hoping it doesn't come west. Reached Venice today. Got a few buddies out there helping out. Brother in Law is out trawling since they opened the season a little early.

As to what happened, too much info now. Buddy said the driller complained about pressure increases. They ignored it. Not much info after that. Supposed to be about 4000-5000 barrels a DAY now. Really sucks because this doesn't happen often at all. When it does, there is always an uproar and rampant speculation. Conspiracy theorists and Environmentalists lead the pack followed by the woefully inept media.[V]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I smelled it yesterday.[xx(]

I saw an article today, though I can't find it again, someone thought as much as 25k bpd could be leaking.[:(!]
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    could they guide an ADCAP or some other explosive device in there and make the earth swallow the drill hole back up?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Yeah. I'm here. About 15 miles from the gulf. We are hoping it doesn't come west. Reached Venice today. Got a few buddies out there helping out. Brother in Law is out trawling since they opened the season a little early.

As to what happened, too much info now. Buddy said the driller complained about pressure increases. They ignored it. Not much info after that. Supposed to be about 4000-5000 barrels a DAY now. Really sucks because this doesn't happen often at all. When it does, there is always an uproar and rampant speculation. Conspiracy theorists and Environmentalists lead the pack followed by the woefully inept media.[V]

I heard today it could be up to 90 days before they can either stop it, or slow it down. Should that be true it'll probably make it all the way to Texas. Its a mess, I could smell it from Port Sulphur yesterday afternoon.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are dropping a pressure relief well tonight and tomorrow. Tring to tap into the zone and relieve the pressure. Take about 48 hrs to get to depth they said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is good news, I hope the news is just trying to sensationalize it. I thought they said it would take months to drill the relief well.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best case they could hope for right now is that the well would bridge it's self off, but a relief well would still have to be drilled to be able to set a series of cement plugs to isolate the zone and abandon the well.

If they drilled into the wellbore without sufficent depth and mud weight, it could easily turn into a second catastrophic event.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i do not know anything about drilling but you would think they would have had multiple places with shut off valves..
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    An "Appolo 13" scenario is probably a good way to describe the situation. There is simply no precedence nor protocol for how to "fix" the situation, and there are mitigating factors that are impeding the implementation of the best containment solutions that exist at this point.

Please remember that oil drilling is still by and large a very environmentally viable industry. I feel for those in the fishing and tourism industry in the area. Hopefully a resolution will present itself soon.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    An "Appolo 13" scenario is probably a good way to describe the situation. There is simply no precedence nor protocol for how to "fix" the situation, and there are mitigating factors that are impeding the implementation of the best containment solutions that exist at this point.

Please remember that oil drilling is still by and large a very environmentally viable industry. I feel for those in the fishing and tourism industry in the area. Hopefully a resolution will present itself soon.

+1 Andrea, good wording

Here's a link to the Houston Chronicles articles, some interesting reading in some of the comments
    http://www.chron.com/oilspill/
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    WERE HERE
    people are watching, right now if you had the means to remove and store boats you would be set for cash, they cant get them out of the water fast enough , no trailers for the ones that live in the water and no place to put them if you get it out.

people on the beach will be in for a shock, marsh and fisheries get first response beaches are low on the list .news said sand can be cleaned quicker but the other Eco system would take years.

they are looking for help in all fields from worker bee;s to order barkers , up to $18 hr.

Texas co said it could be 3 months to 18 months.

word is there going to try to block the pass to the gulf, i don't think it will work as waves are tough there sometimes.

news here is 5000 gal a day and by June it will exceed the spill in Alaska of 15 million barrels,

law suits are all ready filed go figure.

all kinds of rumors from terrorist attack to just not paying attention.

heard they had set cement and the formation had fract (let go) and the blowout was out side the casing, 3 months to drill a relief hole.

JUST AN FYI I'm sure someone will try to make this out as an oil shortage to raise the price, THIS WILL BE BS,
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JackBwr

I'm surprised nobody has been discussing this oil rig disaster in the gulf.

There's been plenty of discussion.....usually centered around it being an environmentalist plot to de-rail the forthcoming opening up of new drilling grounds. [:)]

When we "drill here, drill now!" this is sometimes doing to happen....
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    JackBwr......I feel really bad for the families of the 11 oil workers that were killed evidently in the explosion or blown off the rig, just as I mourn for the families of the 29 miners who were killed in the Massey mine explosion in my home state of WV. But we need coal and we need oil as a nation and it is dangerous to get out of the earth and risky to work around. There are just no easy answers but I feel for the folks who live in the LA, MS and FL regions who are going to be negatively impacted. As far as the market tanking, BP stock is heading south as did Massey stock after the Coal River mine explosion. Shellfish prices will head up soon as most probably gas prices throughout the nation. But its the loss of lives that bother me the most....no man should lose his life just going to work and we have to make sure that we are doing the damn best job we can to protect them. Did Massey do the best it could to protect the men in that mine? I personally know that the Beckley seam of coal is "gassy" and they knew it too, so did they have the best ventilation system they could have in that mine? I don't know that answer. Did BP have all the protections they could have both at the wellhead and on the rig to protect both the working men and the country? I don't know...heck, its not my job to know but somebody should, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen

other countries oil disasters go unreported or downplayed by the
    liberal/ al gore/ commy/ pinko/ fagmedia.

Because nobody in this country cares about Abu Dhabi's fishing and tourism industies.

Oil and gas royalties are a nice bonus for cash strapped states, but pale in comparison to the potential lose of tourism and fishing grounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rack Ops,

The oil companies make only about a 4% profit per barrel, compared to the state/federal government which make up to 15%. The rest is absorbed in production/transport.

Lots of people go fishing and to the beach, but everyone uses gas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady

The oil companies make only about a 4% profit per barrel, compared to the state/federal government which make up to 15%. The rest is absorbed in production/transport.

This isn't about oil company vs. gov't profits. I'm not interested in demonizing the "evil" oil companies.

Of course the states make money off of oil and gas royalties....but they also make money off of tourism and fishing.

States rake in hundreds of millions of dollars in oil and gas royalties, but gulf coast tourism is a multi-billion dollar industry.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One interesting thing that I have not heard talked about much is that the possibility of accidents like this increase as the depth of the drilling increases. Why are the oil companies drilling in 5000 feet of water? -- because they get pushed farther and farther offshore by the government/environmentalists/NIMBY crowd.

IF drilling was allowed closer to the shore, even a disaster like this could be controlled much more easily. At a few hundred feet of depth, divers would have the oil flow stopped already.

Just another of the "unintended consequences" of our flawed government policies.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    One interesting thing that I have not heard talked about much is that the possibility of accidents like this increase as the depth of the drilling increases. Why are the oil companies drilling in 5000 feet of water? -- because they get pushed farther and farther offshore by the government/environmentalists/NIMBY crowd.

IF drilling was allowed closer to the shore, even a disaster like this could be controlled much more easily. At a few hundred feet of depth, divers would have the oil flow stopped already.

Just another of the "unintended consequences" of our flawed government policies.

It might also have to do with all the easy spots have been hit up. We have been drilling for 100 years. Exploration has to happen to keep production up with demand. Oil comes with risk just like everything else. This one will be interesting to watch, but it will be a nightmare for those on the coast IMO.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, there are lots of areas close to the shore that have never been explored because of government restrictions.

When Obama made his speech opening up some areas to drilling, he specified that nothing could be done within 125 miles of the shoreline. That forces the companies to use much more expensive, complicated (and potentially dangerous) drilling techniques.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    Actually, there are lots of areas close to the shore that have never been explored because of government restrictions.

When Obama made his speech opening up some areas to drilling, he specified that nothing could be done within 125 miles of the shoreline. That forces the companies to use much more expensive, complicated (and potentially dangerous) drilling techniques.

Bingo.

Thank goodness we have the government and all it's "alphabet soup" subsidiaries (EPA, DEP, ad nauseum) to determine for the oil companies, who have been doing their thing relatively safely and with minimal environmental impact for over 100 years, to tell them how to do things "safely/with minimal environmental impact."
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I wonder if obama didn't have that oil rig blown up, same with that mine, just so he could put the coal and oil industries out of business? I'd bet he had something to do with it.

On a positive note our dear leader will be taking an air tour of the area, although I don't know why, he should just walk across the water and not burn that evil petroleum.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression these rigs had escape pods in case of disaster like the old early warning radar platforms during the cold war
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    FYI

LOOKS LIKE
    Pensacola beach will be closed for 60 days starting monday

guess there afraid someone will try to set fire to the oil .

THIS WILL HURT THE COAST