In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do they do in church?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
In my neighborhood of 11 homes their are 4 home owners above 80 yrs old, 2 over 65, 2 single middle aged folks and the remaining 3 are couples with mostly teenage kids one of which is my house. The other 2 families are very religious in that they are always going to church, home-schooled their kids up to high school, don't even let their kids do Halloween claiming it is a Pagan celebration etc etc..Well now their are two preganant teens in the neihborhood. Guess who's kids they are? The one girl was thrown out in the street with the clothes on her back when her folks were told of the impending grandchild and not allowed to return until she agreed to have an abortion. The other was also thrown out into the street and was taken in by the father/boy's family who seem to be looking forward to having a grandchild any which way they get one.
I never forced my belief's on my kids and have raised them to think for themselves with but one rule," You can do whatever you want, but you will suffer the consequences or reap the rewards for your actions, so don't waste your one phone call on me." My kids are all honor students, very popular and are involved in various community activities and NOT pregnant. They all have become animal rights vegetarians though, but they are ok with killing a fox to save the chickens if you get my drift.

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean, my middle brother was going out with the preacher's daughter. She would drop her panties anytime anywhere and yes she got pregnant. Her parents wanted her to have an abortion. They were more worried about their image in the community because of him being a preacher and all. My brother stayred with her 5 years but she got tired of my mother interferring in the marriage and moved to Missouri. She gave my brother a chance to go with her and the kids and he chose to stay with momma.

I guess when you try so hard to shield your children from the evil in this world all you do is make them want to go out and get into it just to see if it is as bad as you make it out to be.

Bode
  • Farmer BrownFarmer Brown Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone of us has sin in our lives. Some go to church thinking that will take care of them. Some go for selfish reasons. Some go to truly learn the word of God so they can have a deeper relationship with Him. There are good churches and bad churches, good preachers and bad ones. Please don't look at the bad ones and form an opinion on them all. The good ones truly try to follow Christs teachings. Politics, money, prestige, pride , etc. never enter the picture. All of us fall short, but we are to keep getting up and continually try to grow. Yes, there are churches full of hypocrites, but there are also good ones. Your examples are unfortunate, and are not indicative of us all.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Been a while since my twelve years on the altar, but I don't recall any passage saying," Cast your pregnant children into the streets."
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

I know what you mean, my middle brother was going out with the preacher's daughter. She would drop her panties anytime anywhere and yes she got pregnant. Her parents wanted her to have an abortion. They were more worried about their image in the community because of him being a preacher and all. My brother stayred with her 5 years but she got tired of my mother interferring in the marriage and moved to Missouri. She gave my brother a chance to go with her and the kids and he chose to stay with momma.

I guess when you try so hard to shield your children from the evil in this world all you do is make them want to go out and get into it just to see if it is as bad as you make it out to be.

Bode

I see some folks in church doing just that...and I think they will be having the exact problems they are trying to shield their kids from. One family in particular has forbidden their daughter from hanging out with my daughter anymore b/c they did not think their daughter was "spiritually mature enough" to be hanging out with Cassidy. This was all b/c we allow our daughter to go to Bible study and a youth group meeting where all the kids from the neighborhood go and hang out to play games etc (at the youth center). At both of these events, there are boys...and this other family doesn't think their daughter should be associating with boys. Little do they know...their daughter sneaks around to see this boy she likes. Their daughter also stole one of my wife's nice shirts and sold it at a consignment shop. We confronted them about this issue in hopes that they would make their daughter take responsibility for it and they opted to pay for the shirt and believe their daughters fabricated story about a mix up. Their daughter and my daughter used to be best friends.

Anyone else that has ever met my daughter would tell you that she's one of the best kids they ever met...I think these folks are setting themselves up for disaster.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    My kids are all honor students, very popular and are involved in various community activities and NOT pregnant. They all have become animal rights vegetarians though, but they are ok with killing a fox to save the chickens if you get my drift.

one thing i have learned as a father is "never say never"[;)], i teach my children and counsel them in the ways of what is right.but i do not judge them. it is sad that a parent would even consider throwing out a pregnant unwed teenage daughter,who has made a mistake. they have yet to learn that you have to forgive unconditionally to be forgiven. if i lived there i would take the girls in and help them through their trials without judgment. those babies may well be their richest blessing on earth, and it may be the Lords test to you,as a man, to see if you are a forgiving soul who will come to ones aid.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    My kids are all honor students, very popular and are involved in various community activities and NOT pregnant. They all have become animal rights vegetarians though, but they are ok with killing a fox to save the chickens if you get my drift.

one thing i have learned as a father is "never say never"[;)], i teach my children and counsel them in the ways of what is right.but i do not judge them. it is sad that a parent would even consider throwing out a pregnant unwed teenage daughter,who has made a mistake. they have yet to learn that you have to forgive unconditionally to be forgiven. if i lived there i would take the girls in and help them through their trials without judgment. those babies may well be their richest blessing on earth, and it may be the Lords test to you,as a man, to see if you are a forgiving soul who will come to ones aid.[;)]

Shoot, my home is and has always been a regular Noah's Ark for societal rejects, temporal vagrants and the morally ambiguos. A wise old man once told me that I would be judged by my own standards. I found that to be a great relief.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Everyone knows that the kids of preachers,cops, soldiers and judges are the wildest of the bunch.[:D]
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The one girl was thrown out in the street with the clothes on her back when her folks were told of the impending grandchild and not allowed to return until she agreed to have an abortion."

Don't know what they are, but they are not Christians. It was not the Spirit of GOD that told them to throw the child out into the street and to murder their grandchild.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a saying "We all mock what we become". It really makes me think....
    edited November -1
    quote:'The only moral abortion is my abortion

It is condemned until the ball is their court.[:(][:(]

Taken from a 2008 report

Yesterday, on the 35th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, I read a study by the Alan Guttmacher Institute reporting that one in five women having abortions claim to be born again or Evangelical Christians.

If that's correct, that would man that this last year over two hundred thousand of our Christian sisters had an abortion.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Everyone knows that the kids of preachers,cops, soldiers and judges are the wildest of the bunch.[:D]

As a preacher's kid I can vouch for that!
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Reverends Robert Tilton and Barry Lynne are both ordained ministers. That doesn't always mean what you may think it means. HAIRY says he's an ordained minister. You should select your minister with at least as much caution as you select your lawyer. [;)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    There are hypocrites in every walk of life.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    quote:'The only moral abortion is my abortion

Taken from a 2008 report

Yesterday, on the 35th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, I read a study by the Alan Guttmacher Institute reporting that one in five women having abortions claim to be born again or Evangelical Christians.

The Guttmacher Institute in 1968 was founded as the "Center for Family Planning Program Development", a semi-autonomous division of The Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Center was renamed in memory of Alan Guttmacher, an Ob/Gyn and former president of Planned Parenthood.

Abortion proponant:"Hi there, I'm from the Guttmacher Institute and I'm conducting a survey for women who have had an abortion. The abortion clinic gave me your phone number, mind if I ask some personal questions?"

Woman: "Why no, not at all. I really enjoy talking about my abortion."

Abortion proponat:"What Faith do you belong to exactly?"

Woman: "I'm an Evangelical Christian of course."

More bias pro death propaganda.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Shoot, my home is and has always been a regular Noah's Ark for societal rejects, temporal vagrants
    sounds like my place,I have 4 kids and raised or help raise 10,one of my sons best friends,kenny, lived with us for almost 5yrs,his dad died of a heart attack and his mom became a crackwhore,had him all the way through high school and got him started in college,at one time we had 8 kids living in the house between the ages of 12 to 19 and theonly worry I ever had was keeping the girls away fromthe boys,I always toold them what they did out of the house I could not control but if I ever caught them going at it in the house they would have to find another place to stay,never had a problem because everyone knew the rules,who cleaned what ,who washed clothes,who made beds,yes at times it got a little wild but was worth it,now they are all gone but our youngest boy and he is off in a couple month to college,the wife is going through empty nest very bad,
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    overly religious = unbalanced = fruitcakes = dont trust em as far as you can throw em.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do they do in church? I don't know about that church, but we worship God in ours.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does church have to do with it? One's conscience/moral compass is adequate.

Ad homonyms furnish nothing.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    There are jerks and hypocrites in every walk of life. Religion, or the lack thereof, have nothing more to do with it than with any other randomly gathered group of people.

For every Fred Phelps there is a Charles Manson.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:No one has claimed that Christians, even if accurately identified, do no sin.

My finance and I are Christians. She is a much more active Christian, and has much stronger faith, than me. Does this stop us from having a physical relationship? No. But we are both responsible enough not to have sex until we get married. Granted, she did put her foot down on that issue, and I know better not to push it because I want to be with her for the rest of my life more than anything in the world. I can wait.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Big daddy, with all due respect I don't want to have to choose between the pregnant church-going kid and your animal rights vegetarians. I'd go with the former as the higher life form. Was your post asking us to join you in judging all church-goers by the actions of your neighbors?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Big daddy, with all due respect I don't want to have to choose between the pregnant church-going kid and your animal rights vegetarians. I'd go with the former as the higher life form. Was your post asking us to join you in judging all church-goers by the actions of your neighbors?

Nope. Just trying to get an insight into what it is that leads them to act in such a seemingly uncaring way towards their own children. As for the vegetarian stuff, I let my kids experience the phases they go through and figure out what fits and what doesn't. I can't believe anyone would prefer their teenage daughters to be pregnant and un-wed over the prospect of saving on the meat bill by having them eat out of the garden.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior

Nope. Just trying to get an insight into what it is that leads them to act in such a seemingly uncaring way towards their own children. As for the vegetarian stuff, I let my kids experience the phases they go through and figure out what fits and what doesn't. I can't believe anyone would prefer their teenage daughters to be pregnant and un-wed over the prospect of saving on the meat bill by having them eat out of the garden.

Are they white people? Why do white people act that way? They aren't gun owners are they? Man, gun owners hate thier own children. Please don't tell me that they are Americans. Why do Americans throw their pregnant children out into the street? Kinda the same line of reasoning.

You may want to go and speak with them. Perhaps they will listen to good reason and you can encourage them along the way.
  • Freedom FirstFreedom First Member Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John 8:4-11 (King James Version)

4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sav99

Are they white people? Why do white people act that way? They aren't gun owners are they? Man, gun owners hate thier own children. Please don't tell me that they are Americans. Why do Americans throw their pregnant children out into the street? Kinda the same line of reasoning.

You may want to go and speak with them. Perhaps they will listen to good reason and you can encourage them along the way.

You nailed it! White Gun-Owning American Jesus Nazis! They don't speak to me since I'm a Pagan Idol Worshipper who puts up a tree at Christmas, a 7ft bunny at Easter and ghosts, goblins and pumpkins at Halloween. Satan uses the TV to corrupt my soul and my library is full of books I wasted my time reading because everything I need to know is in the Bible. Funny thing is I know their preacher from way back and he is a learned, reasonable man. I actually donated about $12,000 in HVAC equipment to help get their church built. I suppose it was their pompousity that forced them into a corner when their daughters came up pregnant. Probably turn out to be my fault for inviting the devil into the neighborhood with all of my tv watching and book reading. Yeah, I could talk to them. I could ask them if they will be keeping their grandchild's pieces in a jar on the mantle next to the bible. I could ask them if their daughter knows she was born less than 9 months after their wedding. Lots of stuff I could talk to them about, but it is safer to vent here.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    There are hypocrites in every walk of life.

Not to mention "holier than thou" attitudes. (not pointing that at you, David).
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Freedom First
    John 8:4-11 (King James Version)

4They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

I highlighted the most-often ignored portion of this passage. It's a good reminder for all of us.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:No one has claimed that Christians, even if accurately identified, do no sin.

My finance and I are Christians. She is a much more active Christian, and has much stronger faith, than me. Does this stop us from having a physical relationship? No. But we are both responsible enough not to have sex until we get married. Granted, she did put her foot down on that issue, and I know better not to push it because I want to be with her for the rest of my life more than anything in the world. I can wait.

Congrats Zulu...Last I remember, I thought you had broken up with someone you were serious about...BTW, it will be worth the wait.[8D]
    edited November -1

You nailed it! White Gun-Owning American Jesus Nazis! They don't speak to me since I'm a Pagan Idol Worshipper who puts up a tree at Christmas, a 7ft bunny at Easter and ghosts, goblins and pumpkins at Halloween. Satan uses the TV to corrupt my soul and my library is full of books I wasted my time reading because everything I need to know is in the Bible. Funny thing is I know their preacher from way back and he is a learned, reasonable man. I actually donated about $12,000 in HVAC equipment to help get their church built. I suppose it was their pompousity that forced them into a corner when their daughters came up pregnant. Probably turn out to be my fault for inviting the devil into the neighborhood with all of my tv watching and book reading. Yeah, I could talk to them. I could ask them if they will be keeping their grandchild's pieces in a jar on the mantle next to the bible. I could ask them if their daughter knows she was born less than 9 months after their wedding. Lots of stuff I could talk to them about, but it is safer to vent here.

Sound like hypocrites to me...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    quote:Shoot, my home is and has always been a regular Noah's Ark for societal rejects, temporal vagrants
    sounds like my place,I have 4 kids and raised or help raise 10,one of my sons best friends,kenny, lived with us for almost 5yrs,his dad died of a heart attack and his mom became a crackwhore,had him all the way through high school and got him started in college,at one time we had 8 kids living in the house between the ages of 12 to 19 and theonly worry I ever had was keeping the girls away fromthe boys,I always toold them what they did out of the house I could not control but if I ever caught them going at it in the house they would have to find another place to stay,never had a problem because everyone knew the rules,who cleaned what ,who washed clothes,who made beds,yes at times it got a little wild but was worth it,now they are all gone but our youngest boy and he is off in a couple month to college,the wife is going through empty nest very bad,

Dude.

Punctuation.

Faulkner is dead.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1

Hat's off to you! In the years to come you will be so thankful for that special commitment to your "wife" it will mean a lot to the both of you.

As far as what the folks that want an abortion and kicked their kid out of the house for being pregnant, They must go to some church for prestige or some other nonsense, NOT to follow Christ.

Chaulk this one up as one more black eye for Jesus.[V]
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The one girl was thrown out in the street with the clothes on her back when her folks were told of the impending grandchild and not allowed to return until she agreed to have an abortion."

Don't know what they are, but they are not Christians.

Wolves in sheeps clothing... "if you catch my drift"[:D]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

About the same things they do at a Star Wars convention. Dress up, form cliques, speak with funny words, worship the "Force", and decry the rebellion.

What else can they do?

WWJD (What would Jabba do?)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

About the same things they do at a Star Wars convention. Dress up, form cliques, speak with funny words, worship the "Force", and decry the rebellion.

What else can they do?

WWJD (What would Jabba do?)

Actually, we don't do any of the above.?.?...you might want to try a different church...
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Congrats Zulu...Last I remember, I thought you had broken up with someone you were serious about...BTW, it will be worth the wait.[8D]

I'm not saying I haven't experienced sex with ex girlfriends. I just promised Holly that I was going to wait until she was ready, even if that meant waiting until we get married before I get to have sex again.
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I admire you Zulu for honoring your girlfriend's wishes by being willing to wait until marriage. That is what a true man would do, and God will honor it. You will never regret it.