In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What a nightmare...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
Yesterday I set up the ammo storage shelving unit in the garage and started unpacking the boxes and loading ammo onto the shelves. I quit after about six hours being about 80% completed. Went back to work today and 30 minutes in...CRACK! I watched in horror as one support leg of the unit gave out and the whole thing tipped over to one side dumping 40,000 rounds of ammo on the floor.

Most of the boxes remained intact but many did not, breaking open and spilling loose rounds all over the garage. Several bricks of 22 ammo split open and those are everywhere. It was all I could do to keep from crying.

So I hauled out the broken shelving and started stacking boxes for sorting and restocking after I get another shelving unit. A stronger unit. That one was fine for 15 years and then it collapsed with less weight on it than it had been holding all those years. For now I'll have to leave my truck in the driveway as I need to space to stack and sort all that ammo.

What a world...
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    Several bricks of 22 ammo split open and those are everywhere. It was all I could do to keep from crying.

Karma is a mean *! Don
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    concrete blocks and 2x12's-the retro look!! form follows function
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yesterday I set up the ammo storage shelving unit in the garage and started unpacking the boxes and loading ammo onto the shelves. I quit after about six hours being about 80% completed. Went back to work today and 30 minutes in...CRACK! I watched in horror as one support leg of the unit gave out and the whole thing tipped over to one side dumping 40,000 rounds of ammo on the floor.

Most of the boxes remained intact but many did not, breaking open and spilling loose rounds all over the garage. Several bricks of 22 ammo split open and those are everywhere. It was all I could do to keep from crying.

So I hauled out the broken shelving and started stacking boxes for sorting and restocking after I get another shelving unit. A stronger unit. That one was fine for 15 years and then it collapsed with less weight on it than it had been holding all those years. For now I'll have to leave my truck in the driveway as I need to space to stack and sort all that ammo.

What a world...
    ....that is one of the most sad storys I have heard in a lifetime.....at least the shelves didn't fall on you....just think,no more bad luck this year![:D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Did you remember to take pictures?
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    As much as I like you,Doc,its hard to have much sympathy,you hoarder.
    Bummer that happened.
  • catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    I do not envy the job you have ahead of you. I am so sorry to hear of it.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    I could clean up that 22 lr ammo for you, no problem[:D]
  • merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One might say...

The straw round that broke the camel's back shelf's leg!
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't shoot enough.[;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    Had a similar experience. Find yourself some good used pallet rack. I picked up a couple of three foot deep uprights and 10 foot beams. Each shelf is rated for 4000 pounds.
  • onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you shovel it up into Walmart bags, mixed, and sell it per bag at the Little Rock show? Save a lot of time sorting it out.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type shelving was it?
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40, 000 rounds was only 80% of your hoard?[}:)]
    Arrivederci gigi
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    damn i feel for you, thats almost as bad as discovering a scratch on a gun
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WMClark
    Had a similar experience. Find yourself some good used pallet rack. I picked up a couple of three foot deep uprights and 10 foot beams. Each shelf is rated for 4000 pounds.

There used to be a seller on that bay site who specialized in taking the really TALL warehouse racking and cutting damaged lower sections down and re-welding the feet back on.

Or try one of these from Lowes or Costco. 2000 pounds per shelf.

Pro tip.... Buy 2 sets and set it up for 21 running feet of shelves. Go back and buy more "stringers" as needed. They come in wire and "chip board" shelves.

035441056545.jpg
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your wife going to do with all that ammo?
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds traumatic....I feel for ya, it is something that would happen to me.
  • jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    On the bright side it didn't fall on you and kill you. How embarrassing to be killed by your own ammo and it didn't even come out the barrel of a gun. [B)]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc i am guessing something got a little tweak in it and then when you put weight on it that made it collapse. That rack should have held.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't give up your day job please
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, Doc.

I hope you didn't damage the walls of your new home, too.
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    standard.jpg

Ouch!!! I feel your pain brother[V]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You tell that to a forum like this and expect sympathy??[:D]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i sympathize, things happen

looking at that picture is like watching someone get kicked in the nads, the one where you feel it yourself

i have learned over the years that those shelves work best mounted to the wall
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Doc, I have if not the same very similar shelves with more weight on them that what ammo boxes can hold. Can't see why they collapsed.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 2 big metal cabinets sitting on top of a solid wood core door with 4 x 4 legs. Although there is not 40,000 rounds sitting on it. There is a substantial amount. My problem is if my water heater takes a crap I have to move all of the above to get at it. Water heater is about 12 years old and long past its lifetime.[:(][:(][:(]
    edited November -1
    I got everything off the floor today. At Home Depot I bought a new shelf with an 8,000 pound load rating. Needs assembly, of course so probably Sunday on that. Then I get to stack everything back on the shelf again. Oh joy. Also need to find boxes for the 3-4 bricks of 22 ammo that was thrown from shredded boxes all over the floor.

Still assessing the damage done to things that were on the floor when the shelf fell on them.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    standard.jpg

God bless America

Thanks for the chuckle tho buddy
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there done that, got that T-shirt...[B)]

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    BTW- The new shelf I bought looks EXACTLY like the one CaptFun pictured.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    quote:Originally posted by WMClark

There used to be a seller on that bay site who specialized in taking the really TALL warehouse racking and cutting damaged lower sections down and re-welding the feet back on.

Or try one of these from Lowes or Costco. 2000 pounds per shelf.

Pro tip.... Buy 2 sets and set it up for 21 running feet of shelves. Go back and buy more "stringers" as needed. They come in wire and "chip board" shelves.

035441056545.jpg

Yep.....get these shelves from Home Depot or Lowes...they are not expensive, but built very VERY sturdy!

This is what we have in the gun room and you can stack CASES of ammo on there without any worry.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    standard.jpg

Damm,now I do feel sorry for you!! That just sux. [V][V]
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It was all, that I could do, to keep from crying"

Hey, that sounds like a line from a country/western song!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    standard.jpg

I was going to suggest Gorilla Racks but that looks like a Gorilla rack. I have put LOTS of weight on a Gorilla rack and never had any issue.

Sorry you had that happen Doc, at least you can have fun counting how many loose 22's you found. [:I]
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always secure our metal shelving to the backwall. All it takes is a little sway and down they will come.
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you had all the racks nicely labeled too.
    Bright side? The more time you spend cleaning up the mess, the less time you waste shooting up your stockpile.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why do you have all that ammo? that's one reason some folks don't like gun people
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might want to consider a bunch of .50 cal, or .30 cal ammo cans. Much less chance of them dumping their contents, and airtight/water resistant.
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have four of those kind of racks and never had one fail, but I can see where they would with a leg that had been bent or twisted. Never had that much ammo to try them out like that.