In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Joy Joy Grandma living with me now.

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Well I now have a house guest. My 95 yo grandmother. Just what I needed. She bitches about everything. She gets mad at me and starts yelling in German and I can only pick up about every 10 words. I love her but having her live with me is hell. Funny how the wife gets along fine with her. She likes my wife so she is nice to her.

Sad but she got to the point that she could not live by herself. I am the only one who would take her in. My sisters wouldn't take her so I got stuck with her. Grandma blames me for taking her from he home but she couldn't stay by her self.

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yells in german?

Her and my Grandfather would get along, really well!
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I wish my grandma could come live with me. I miss them both. [:(]
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She'll soon croak and you can get back to being you; joy, joy.

Clouder..
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i lived at home mom brought her father to live with us. it changed all our life styles. good luck
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    It is not easy, but be patient. We too will grow old soon enough.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You might try learning from her...See if she will teach you german, or perhaps teach you a million and one other things...They have so much to offer if only ppl would listen...
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain. Just pray she doesn't get dementia!
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love her up MM. It will be a cherished memory after she is gone. Besides when we're 95 we might be just as crabby as she is.[;)]
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    I feel your pain. Just pray she doesn't get dementia!

Oh no she is sharp as a tack. Yea I love listening to her tell stories of the old days. Alot of interesting stories from when she lived in Germany during the war. Her and grandad migrated the legal way to America.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember, if she makes a mess on the floor or starts pissing in the

floor vents, dont beat her. Its probably just a urinary tract infection![:o)][;)]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    whiteclouder quote:She'll soon croak and you can get back to being you; joy, joy.

Clouder..

...Ditto! What an asinine thing to say about your Granma, if you'd get a job, you'd be out of the house more too...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
    edited November -1
    No she is a pain but I don't want he to kick the bucket to soon.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    so you will learn to cuss like a drunken german soldier .. its her job at 95 to give someone hell..better you than me[:D]
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    As much of a pain in the butt it would be to have my grandmother live with us, I'd still love it, and I'd cherish whatever time I had.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the "good ole days."
    Back before the 1930's and Social Security, where the current working generation began paying for the old age lives of the previous one by forced payroll deduction. It was the common thing for the old folks to come live w/the children when they got too infirm to take care of themselves.
    That way for THOUSANDS of years. And from the looks of things, it might be making a comeback.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I never had a chance to meet any of my grandparents [:(] and since my mother and father died I have no blood relatives at all in this country. Look at the bright side: At 95 she can't have too much time left and once she dies you'll be "happy" again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    so you will learn to cuss like a drunken german soldier .. its her job at 95 to give someone hell..better you than me[:D]

LOL between the illegals that I used to work with teaching me spanish cuss words, the 2 years I spent in Okinawa where I learned to cuss in Japanise, the 13 months in VN, I can cuss you out in several languages.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    E-me she-me peck po gi da. is all I remember.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would give anything to have my grandparents back.

You should treasure the time she has with you.
    All of us are different though.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Welcome to the "good ole days."
    Back before the 1930's and Social Security, where the current working generation began paying for the old age lives of the previous one by forced payroll deduction. It was the common thing for the old folks to come live w/the children when they got too infirm to take care of themselves. That way for THOUSANDS of years. And from the looks of things, it might be making a comeback.

Couldn't agree more.
    We have become a society that does not want to be inconvenienced by anything in life,.......including our own parents.

I know that dementia is a tough issue, but many don't have that.
    Some just like to talk about their younger days.

I love to listen to those stories.
    SOMEONE raised your dirty butt, and most likely gave up many things for you,........time to pay it back IMHO.

This is not necessarily aimed at the OP.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    suck it up and enjoy her while you can!
    thats your parents parent.
    honor thy mother and father and you do whatever you can to help.
    my granna only lived to 64, and that was 45 years ago.
    i WISH i had her today.[:(]

she's being tuff on you because shes a mom. she want you to be tuff. she learned it long before you...the isnt a friendly place, and only the strong survive.[;)]
    accept it as her way of training you up right and love her for it. shes a generation missed in this usa. i wish all americans would be as tuff as her.

maybe the world would be afraid us once again.[^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my grandparents passed by the time I turned 1 YO....
    I wish I could have met them...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ease up on the boy. The fact that you love someone doesn't mean they can't be a pain in the * and the fact that they are a pain in the * doesn't mean you don't love them.

I loved my mother and mother-in-law as much as you can love a mother and mother-in-law, but I knew better than to live within a hundred miles.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get her drunk.
  • fullautogunnerfullautogunner Member Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this could be the last time to get family info, heritage/cooking/misc. info from her. Get what you can now.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suffering through and losing two world wars, her life spanned a bad but interesting period in Germany. She earned the right to be grumpy.
    Encourage her tales of life through and after the wars. Maybe even record them.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    i wish my grandma would come live with me.
  • dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    You might try learning from her...See if she will teach you german, or perhaps teach you a million and one other things...They have so much to offer if only ppl would listen...

This is sometimes only realized years later, when it's far too late and regret like crow is a cold tasteless dish.

Thank you BR for the post

Mule
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    E-me she-me peck po gi da. is all I remember.

ROFLMAO
    That one will get you slapped by the juice girls-I know that for a fact. It has been a few years since I thought of that.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tons of old family photo's and would give anything to have even one of my grandparents here to identify who they are of and where they were at.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    She gets mad at me and starts yelling in German

She and my grandfather would have been best friends and talked each others ears off!
  • clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find what joy you can in having her there, you'll miss her when she's gone. I'd give anything to have my grandmother here with me. Good Luck and Happy New Year
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Enjoy her while you can. My grandmothers are all gone now.
    Edith from Tennessee was a hoot. She chewed tobacco, had the
    funniest laugh, and my only regret is she lived in california
    in later years.(Only saw her once before she died.)
    Grandma Reichert was still chopping wood in her 80s with an axe.
    Knew her the best. A tough, hard working, quiet woman. The
    hobo's knew her as a good woman for a meal in the depression.
    She had names for her chickens. She taught me how to kill, clean
    and dress them for the pot. When she passed, the whole town of
    Lindsey Ne was at her funeral. She crocheted
    beautiful doillies. She baked bread everyday.
    She loved grandpa thru thick n thin. She kept a garden, and
    canned every year. Was a great cook. Went to mass everyday.
    Never talked about others, hated gossip. She lived in her
    house except thru winters until she fell watering her favorite
    rose bush with the dishwater. Something we'd tell her not to
    do...but that rosebush was something. Area hunters would drop
    off their pheasants, quail, rabbits, and she'd clean them. I know
    they must miss her too.
  • dongilldongill Member Posts: 2,640
    edited November -1
    Your G-mother's reactions are very normal. Because you are her blood relative she is angry with you. All elderly people do not like to give up their home and independence. She will relax in a few weeks if you exercise patience and show love for her. When you were an infant, I'd bet she changed your diapers and fed you with the bottle. Life goes in cycles. She was your care giver....now you are hers! You can find "joy" because like it or not you are performing a normal family function.[:D]
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you did not take her in a goverment official would have come into her house and taken her to a nursing home. A conservature would have been appointed to take care of her. Her house would have been sold under market. Her personal items such as glasses, dentures, ect would have been lost and replaced at a huge cost to either her or the taxpayers. She may have developed bed sores ect. then died much sooner than she would have with a family to care for her. You may be unfortunate enough to have her "* about everything" but that often happens when older people lose touch with reality. One day she could scorch you and the next be extremely apolegic for what she said. If you are overwhelmed check out hospice care. Good luck and God Bless you and your grandmother.
    edited November -1
    I have no problem with her living with us. I love her and want her around. She blames me for tearing her away from her home and thinks it is all my faught. She is as nice as she can be to my wife. She is also nice to my 2 sisters. I was put in the spot of being the bad guy by my sisters. They are the ones who wouldn't take her in.

The grandmother that raised me from the time I was born died in 1968. That grandmother is the one who was mother to me when my actual mother was no where to be found. The grandmother that is living with me has been my only grandmother since then. She and I have always been close but like I said she thinks that I booted her out of her home when it was my sister's idea all along. She was to the point that she couldn't take care of herself. She was falling alot and couldn't make it up her stairs anymore. Her only bathroom was up stairs so that was a major problem. My house is all one story so she can get around better and my wife is always with her.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have no idea if you have had a point in your life where you were needing help, but for anyone who has, it is HELL!!!....I, and quite a few others in here can relate to your grandmother....She doesnt want to admit she might, and yes I said MIGHT, need some help...She has taken care of you, and now you have to take care of her?....Not a good thing for a proud independant person to have to learn to live with...

Perhaps you could give her a "wing of sorts" of her own if you have the resources...something along the lines of a small apt in your house where she still has her own privacy, her own kitchen, and her own entrance, but you can keep an eye on her....
    If that is not workable, at least talk to her, explain you understand how she feels, but you love her and dont want her to fall and hurt herself, explain it was a family decision etc..

Most of all, treat her as an adult and with respect...she deserves it.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Sure there is much aggrevation but you are to be commended for doing this. This is family loyalty which I personally hold in the highest regard. I am 61 years old and think often about how much I would like to spend more time with my parents and grandparents. The questions I have for them now will never get answers to them. I would suggest you get her mad a record her german cussing so after she is gone you can play it back after she is gone. You won't believe how much this will mean to you later on. You are a great person in my book for doing this. You reward will be tremendous for you personally. You will see.