In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bass players?

17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
Any bass musicians on G.B.? My 14 year old son has been playing for several years and currently plays an Ibanez GSR200. It has been a decent starter bass, but he now wants to upgrade. He plays in the school's jazz & marching bands. He also plays hard-rock and heavy metal. He has tried a number of different used instruments and has picked-out the following circa 1980's options:

1. 1986 Ibanez Pro-Line PL5050
2. 1988 Charvel by Jackson 2B
3. 1987 Yamaha Motion MB-III

All are priced similarly and are in very good condition. Don't want to buy any of the currently made Chinese junk and don't want this to break the bank. Any suggestions, feedback, or preferences on the instruments listed above? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has a 1974 fender jazz bass,and has no idea of the value. Anyone here have a clue on value? The bass is mint.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My nephew plays, he has a couple but the only one that I know what it is is his Fender Select Jazz Bass, as a family we all got together and bought it for him 2 years ago for Christmas, it is still his favorite bass and he plays it most weekends for his church
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daughter has my old Fernandez, plus a fender jazz, and her favorite is a Ltd by esp, but that one is a break the bank instrument.

She also has been playing for a few years. Concert band, jazz band and plays bass trombone in the marching band.

She's got a lot more talent than I ever did.

The Yamaha bass is probably the best off your list.

Whichever you choose, check the neck to make sure it's not warped.

And have fun.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An early '80s Peavey T-60 would be my choice. These were USA-made.
    Or a Fender Precision. One of the American models.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd probably go with number two. I always liked Jackson lead guitars.

My personal bass experience was with a Fender Jazz, and a Dean Edge.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has to play the instrument to make a decision. Same brands and makes could sound different.

I'm a metal fan, and a bass fan...but when it comes to metal basses they (for the most part) only plug along with drums....which is fun, but you don't lead the song. At this point, just about any bass with a liked amp will do.

If he moves to really wanting to "play" bass move to funk and disco type leads. These players play. My personal favorite is Bernard Edwards from Chic. Song "Good Times" is a bass players play. His last concert solo before his death is epic.

For inspiration, he oughta check out Anna Sentina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuBnD8nRhw. This is an up and coming performer around his age that rocks.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IronWill45
    He has to play the instrument to make a decision. Same brands and makes could sound different.

I'm a metal fan, and a bass fan...but when it comes to metal basses they (for the most part) only plug along with drums....which is fun, but you don't lead the song. At this point, just about any bass with a liked amp will do.

If he moves to really wanting to "play" bass move to funk and disco type leads. These players play. My personal favorite is Bernard Edwards from Chic. Song "Good Times" is a bass players play. His last concert solo before his death is epic.

For inspiration, he oughta check out Anna Sentina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuBnD8nRhw. This is an up and coming performer around his age that rocks.
    YYZ by RUSH...thats a bass players play[;)]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

YYZ by RUSH...thats a bass players play[;)]

Excellent!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tough to beat the Fender Precicion, though the Peavey T-60 Sperry mentioned is awful nice too.
    I've got a Guild JSB-II LS from the late 70's that sounds awesome but is awful neck heavy.
    ff57630a-9609-441c-8d4a-077670965577_zps22576338.jpg
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have a few myself, I seem to find myself playing the '73 Jazz bass more than any of the others. Hard to beat a Fender.
    bassstable_zps87e3fe31.jpg
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one I played for about fifteen or twenty minutes
    on that little Zebco reel.ibass12.jpgmg]
    Oh, You meant that kind of bass.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by topdad
    Here's one I played for about fifteen or twenty minutes
    on that little Zebco reel.ibass12.jpgmg]
    Oh, You meant that kind of bass.[:0]

That's my kind of bass!
  • Options
    edited November -1

He has played all of the basses listed and a number of others. Out of all of the instruments that he has tried, those 3 are on the top of his list. He also played an 80's Carvin LB70 last night and liked that one as well.
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have him try a Squier Vintage 77 Jazz Bass for grins...bet he'll like it...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-77-109437467-i3271151.gc
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Tough to beat the Fender Precicion, though the Peavey T-60 Sperry mentioned is awful nice too.

I ALMOST plunked down $1200 for a Fender AMERICAN STANDARD PRECISION BASSr back in May. Came back a week later, guy said it was sold. Four months later, it's back on the rack, and I'm told it was on layaway but the guy flaked.

I played it for a couple hours total, never plugged in. That's the way I'd judge a bass.

The Peavey T-series? I bought one at a garage sale and did the research before reselling it. Solid product.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bought the 80's Carvin LB70 and the 1986 Ibanez Pro-Line PL5050.

98_lb20-lb70.jpg

6.jpg