In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ebay's new policy on gun parts

JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy for more details on our current policy.
As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team - along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. - have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

They are now certifiably insane!

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    This is a GOOD thing.

We should make it an organized effort to search Fleabay for gun parts sellers, contact them and make sure they know they are welcome on Gunbroker.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Already have--oops I guess there's a limit on daily e-mails. More tomorrow then...
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by this policy, basically, NOTHINGS LEFT of the firearm that CAN be sold except grips, sights, and screws.[8]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    luv_the_huskersluv_the_huskers Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typical liberals....they will tell you want you want, when you want it, and how you can have it all in the name of your personal safety. Only they know whats good for you.
  • Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell gun parts on ebay, and I will be coming to Gunbroker.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who cares what ebay does? GB is better anyway!
    JM
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I am sad to hear it. Ebay may stink, but they get a lot more traffic than GB does. It is much, much easier to sell something on ebay. For instance, I have bunch of 8mm Mauser stripper clips for which I have no use. I doubt I could GIVE them away on GB as they are mostly the crummy 1 piece turk type, and the savvy smart buyers here know that. Whereas on fleabay, damned if someone doesn't always bid them up to $10 per dozen at least.
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is true in most cases you get more on ebay. However this will force more customers to come to GB and generate more traffic and higher bids. Also more people will find out about it. Thus giving GB more listings, giving you more chances to snag a good deal here with buy it now auctions. You never seem to find a good deal on e-bay. However you can find them here every now and then. I know that the things I look for every day, the amount of auctions has not seem to gone up in awhile. Maybe this will give GB a good shot in the arm!!!!!!
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    Already have--oops I guess there's a limit on daily e-mails. More tomorrow then...

Damn spammers, think you got me already......
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good deal? not true. more traffic on gb will tempt greedy hands to increase prices here, to cash in on the influx. there goes gb's good deals....AGAIN.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    good deal? not true. more traffic on gb will tempt greedy hands to increase prices here, to cash in on the influx. there goes gb's good deals....AGAIN.

GB doesn't have enough traffic to support a huge number of sellers. It is the buyers that need to be made aware of GB, the sellers for the most part know it is hear, but that it doesn't have enough traffic to be a lucrative place to do business.

If I do start selling here again, I intend to use fixed prices since I would be worried about an item selling for my starting bid. In my last 100 Ebay auctions, nothing has started at over $5.
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wonder what the ebay gods would do,,if we started putting something mentioning GB in our final listings ,,before the new law takes effect,,,kick us off for 30days
    I'm game !!
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    someone need to put up a auction on ebay about selling on gb I know they will take it off but hey if each on of us does [}:)][}:)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    This is a GOOD thing.

We should make it an organized effort to search Fleabay for gun parts sellers, contact them and make sure they know they are welcome on Gunbroker.
    WELL I had it in my listing that the next patch of Lapua Brass that I wil be selling will be in the GB and they took it out since it stated gunbroker.com, so I had to relist it. E-BAY SUX
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spookster
    I am gonna try it this way ,,,probably get booted
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200136246703
    It might be ok, since you did not mentioned the GB's name, we'll see. Like I stated in a other post they have these teenagers in India reading this stuff, and deciding what stays and what goes, go figure.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion here, but I think the number and quality of gun parts have decreased in the last year and a half. I was looking for a specific screw for a Remington 241 about three years ago. It took about 6-9 months to find it, but it showed up on ebay first. Paid through the nose for a ziplock of screws pins and springs.

The way I see it, Ebays policy is a good thing. Bring all the parts over to one sight. I'd compare this to the WalMart sucks threads when they sold rifles and shotguns. Then when WalMart quits, people continue to blame Walmart for quitting.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COLT magazines and barrels are apparently less politically correct than the 'Colt' BallPark Frank Pumps and * * that show up when Colt is entered in the eBay search engine.

BTW "BallPark Frank" Pumps is not what I wrote. Apparently GB doesn't allow the same words here as eBay does......
  • Options
    bayonet hunterbayonet hunter Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a statement to the effect GB would benefit from Ebay's decision and it was deleted because they considered it not a statement but advertising. I wonder if Ebay will have the nerve to show up at the Shot Show looking for new Ebay sellers again. [:(!]

quote:Originally posted by spookster
    wonder what the ebay gods would do,,if we started putting something mentioning GB in our final listings ,,before the new law takes effect,,,kick us off for 30days
    I'm game !!