In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

News is coming in now.......................

danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in General Discussion
Email I just got,

Dan on the news to night in Tacoma washington big shutdown at the flying j i will be there tomorow i wil let you know the scoop ED

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dan that would be wonderfull here in WA--our fuel prices are ridiculous-I really feel for the truckers and there are tons here.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Please do and good luck to you all. [:)]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan, people in this country take too many things for granted, food always being on the shelves at there favorite grocery, gasoline flowing from the nozzle at there gas station, just to name a couple. I have watched the posts from various threads on the issue. Many Companies have gone from having a fulltime staff of company drivers, to hiring independants to do the "dirty" work, eg. Meaning you are no longer covered by company benefits, and alas on independent owner operator left to fend for yourself..with each person paying EVERY aspect of the operation. Wage, taxes, fuel, maintanence, insurance,health ins., etc. I know I'm preaching to the choir with you but this post is not meant for you. It is meant for those who read this and get angery at it. This country has been brain-washed into thinking everyone should do more for less. I wish "your" strike today would have 100 percent participation and would last a week.......Then people may wake up to the fact someone who is just trying to make a decent wage for there family.. has finally had enough. I sometimes wonder as I pass a truck on a freeway, if I could ever do that job day in and day out, I probably will never know that answer, But I am glad that someone has. Thank-you to you and your fellow OTR drivers for all the work you do. I know some will flame away at this post. I really don't care. Good luck Dan.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote: Meaning you are no longer covered by company benefits, and alas on independent owner operator left to fend for yourself..with each person paying EVERY aspect of the operation. Wage, taxes, fuel, maintanence, insurance,health ins., etc.

It's called "self-employment" and lots of folks like it without someone or something telling them when and where and how to work. Survival of the fittest!
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yep, we're suffering through self-employment, too. Wife decided to hang up her own shingle 1/1/2008.

We've gone nearly three months with her earning $35/month. That doesn't even begin to cover the costs of marketing.

In the last two weeks, she's earned close to $500. I've got my fingers crossed that her business is finally going to take off because we're hurting.

And, yeah, fuel plays a big factor - her business is mobile.

The bad thing about the strike, if it happens en masse, is that it will only drive up the price of everything as deliveries are not made and supplies dwindle.

I support you at one end, and I cannot at the other.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Really? We must have missed it. Seems the Tomohawks and Flying 'J's around us just don't seem to have that support.

Where exactly is this so called "strike"?????

How is a rolling 3x roadblock any support, other than a bunch of knuckle heads tring to piss off everyone on the road? How does that help your cause?

Dan, like I've said, I was behind your cause until you (or someone in your group) made the demands that included ONLY your select group and no one else.

No wonder...this seems to be a outright failure.

At one point, I see where truckers are looking out for truckers. This is their livelihood.

At the same time, this would make more sense to try and encourage EVERYONE to go on "strike" against the oil companies.

The problem, of course, is that over the years, there's been SPAM after SPAM suggesting that we will all not fill up for one day that the oil companies would notice and lower prices when, in fact, this is not the case because the oil companies don't set prices - the commodities market does.

But, the threat of "rolling roadblocks" is going to accomplish nothing but torque off Joe Citizen who is trying to get somewhere. And, God help you if you're engaging in a rolling roadblock and you, say, stop an emergency vehicle from getting where it needs to be.

Can you imagine that sort of publicity?

The "strike" would be far more effective if you could get something remotely resembling a majority of truckers to simply pull over and not roll at all.

I won't doubt that it was effective in other states. In Colorado, it accomplished nothing. I watched the news channels and I was on the road. I saw tons of trucks driving up and down I-25 and I saw trucker after trucker after trucker interviewed saying they didn't take part because they couldn't afford to do so.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish you the best, Dan. I heard you on a radio interview last night and hope your collective voice is heard so your needs will be met.