In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reliability

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2007 in General Discussion
I am looking at buying a model 1911. I know that the more I spend the better the gun will be, but I dont have that much money and will not be shooting much and it will not be for protection purposes. I am looking at getting a Springfield Armory either Mil-Spec of GI model but would like to hear any reliability reviews that anyone can offer. The dealer said he has one in his rental case and I have shot it a few times, but had it jam a few times too. He mentioned that it is shot more in one week than I would do in a couple of months and that he doesn't really maintain it and that they are otherwise really good. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Lets talk about reliability. I've been shooting since I joined the Army back in 1991. I can honestly state that I have never shot a semi auto rifle or pistol that hasn't had or is going to have a malfunction of one type or another. My DPMS AR15 in .308 is the only one that hasn't yet. I fully expect it to hang up soon as I only have a few hundred rounds through it. I've been dealing with my 1911 and my P22 this afternoon and I'm getting tired of trying to figure out why it doesn't like this or that. Last month I had a failure to feed with my carry gun and some JHPs that I had previously trusted. Prior to the FTF I had fully trusted my Kahr, but now I have my doubts.

I've heard some swear their lives on their Sig, Glock, 1911...etc. I have to question this statement because I just don't see it. I've shot many and I mean many different semi autos and they all hiccup. I've owned a few wheel guns an have never had a problem with them. I'm sure a malfunction could occur but the odds are way less than the semiautos. Any comments?
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course- semi-autos will probably have a problem here and there. But realize the problem could be with the ammo, mag, or cleanliness/lubrication of the weapon.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Last month I had a failure to feed with my carry gun and some JHPs

I have yet to see an auto that likes JHP rounds. Or Hollow points of any type for that matter be it a rifle or pistol.

240 grain JHP are about all I shoot through my .44 mag wheel gun. Have yet to have the first problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Of course- semi-autos will probably have a problem here and there. But realize the problem could be with the ammo, mag, or cleanliness/lubrication of the weapon.Will those same circumstances cause a revolver to hiccup? I think not. My point is the more I shot the more I like a good revolver. Let's face it, if you are using a handgun it's going to be over pretty quick. No need for high round count which is why the magazine was invented.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Last month I had a failure to feed with my carry gun and some JHPs

I have yet to see an auto that likes JHP rounds. Or Hollow points of any type for that matter be it a rifle or pistol.

240 grain JHP are about all I shoot through my .44 mag wheel gun. Have yet to have the first problem.

Which is why I have been looking at the S&W 325PD. [:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always liked Revolvers better than an automatic. Automatics will jam eventually. Just a wheel gun fan, cause I have way more revolvers than automatics. I hope I never have to get in a gunfight but unless there were numerous bad guys.. I will take the revolver everytime. It would be the backup weapon anyway.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See my range report on my xd 40 sub. I tried to make it fail. I didn't try too hard, but I did try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    See my range report on my xd 40 sub. I tried to make it fail. I didn't try too hard, but I did try.

If it didn't, give it time, it will.
  • Options
    divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What has NEVER Failed me, a few are.
    DPMS
    Springfeild
    FNH
    Barrett
    Mauser
    Sig

A few that had bugs but I still love, own, and buy frequently.

S&W
    Walther
    Mossburg
    Kimber
    Kel tec
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Only time i ever had trouble with an auto was when using faulty ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by divebomb
    What has NEVER Failed me, a few are.
    DPMS
    Springfeild
    FNH
    Barrett
    Mauser
    Sig

See, I just don't buy this statement. Unless they don't get out much and they haven't failed you yet. That would give you a false since of security.
  • Options
    divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only time my S&W failed was with faltey ammo.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ginmaster

I've heard some swear their lives on their Sig, Glock, 1911...etc. I have to question this statement because I just don't see it. I've shot many and I mean many different semi autos and they all hiccup. I've owned a few wheel guns an have never had a problem with them. I'm sure a malfunction could occur but the odds are way less than the semiautos. Any comments?

I use two brands of semi-auto that have never given me any problem, HK and Beretta. My first CCW was a revolver that I stopped using because of a mechanical failure. The pendulum swings both ways. The best we can do is lessen the odds by using quality, tested guns, with quality tested ammo and practice good maintenance.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have several of my semi-auto's that have never jammed even after several thousand rounds!

Most of these are my RIA's!

I am not saying that it would not be possible for them to do it in the future, but as of yet it has not happened.

I did have some failier to return to battery on one of my RIA GI's but found it to be the ammo I was shooting and not the gun as when I went to a different ammo it stopped.

On top of the maintenence stuff mentioned above I have also found if a person limp wrists the pistol they are much more likely to have jams!
  • Options
    SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love autos. I love the look, the complexity, the capacity, just about everything about them....

But I carry a revolver, and one hangs on my bedpost.

Sahagan