In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Egg and I Tried Something New Today

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
A few months ago I got some pickled quail eggs that were locally produced. They were okay but not as good as I had hoped.

Whenever it's going to be raining in the afternoon, I always get eggs to boil for the outside dogs. Today, I got five dozen as for a couple of weeks I have been toying with the idea to pickle some.

I found a really nice simple little English pub recipe to try. I followed it pretty closely but didn't strain the mixture before adding it to the glass. Being a Colonial, I figured I didn't need the upper crust touch of me lord.

Here's the recipe I used. I'll know in two weeks how it turned out.

British pub pickled eggs

Ingredients
12 hard-boiled eggs
4 cups of malt vinegar
1 finely chopped chili pepper
10 black peppercorns
10 whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp of allspice

Method
Peel the hard-boiled eggs, allow them to cool and then place them in a large clean jar.
Heat the vinegar and the spices in a saucepan until the liquid begins to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool to about room temperature.
Strain the liquid and pour over the eggs covering them completely.
Seal the jar tightly with the lid and store in a cool and dark place for a minimum of two weeks before consuming.

Comments

• 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    be interested to know how they turn out. we have had chickens for about 3 years now. I find myself trying to find different things to do with eggs.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just throw them in a huge jar of pickles, and let the pickle juice pickle them. It only takes about 3 or 4 days before they start tasting really good. And the vinegar keeps them from rotting too fast, they'll stay good for about 2 months

I also slice up some onions to throw in there too. I love pickled eggs and pickled onions.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After I eat the pickled prawns I make around Christmas, I always toss some hard boiled eggs in the mix. Try poking a few holes in the eggs with a fork and they will infuse with the juice/flavor much faster.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    After I eat the pickled prawns I make around Christmas, I always toss some hard boiled eggs in the mix. Try poking a few holes in the eggs with a fork and they will infuse with the juice/flavor much faster.

Makes sense. just don't poke it into the yolk, it would make it mushy
  • Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    quote:Flying Clay Disk
    Nice leather couch, watching a nice movie...I can even make the dogs grimace!! Just cower in shame!!

You must not be as bad as you think or the dogs would be rolling on you