Saturday Night Rodeo...almost!

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Heard a noise and looked out the kitchen window; there goes Jack walking by the window! What's wrong with this picture? There's no pasture outside the kitchen window, that's what. Jack was out. Following Jack are four cows and two calves. Great. Right in the middle of cooking dinner too! Double great.

I go outside on the deck and Jack is headed down where our one remaining 'jr' bull is, and they're both snarlin' at each other (one in the corral and Jack coming down to it from the outside). Jack gets down to the corral with the girls in tow and attacks a brand new bale of hay in a show of force. He throws about half the bale over the fence like it's child's play (that's 4-500 lbs of hay!)

The wife stayed up by the high pasture gate while I tried to get everyone to head back that way. The girls were no problem with some cake, but Jack wasn't budgin'. He's busy raking the ground and growling. That, or getting down on his knees, rubbing his face in the dirt and snorting. He's pissed! (not at me, but the other bull).

I jumped in the truck and headed down there, got out an hollered at him, but he still wouldn't move. Swatted him with the paddle and he moved, but then turned back around again. Jumped back in the truck and pushed the rest of the bale of hay into him, sandwiching him between the bale and the fence (it wasn't hard, but enough to get his attention). He finally backed up and looked to see his wimmin's were long gone up to the high pasture getting some cake. So finally he takes off and heads back for his wimmins. With that I take off like a shot in the truck and go screaming up to the high pasture gate to form a chute of sorts with the truck (which works).

We get him back in the pasture, but the gate hangs up on my wife trying to close it. By now I'm out of the truck, but Jack is charging the gate (where she is). I jump out in front of Jack waving my arms and holler at him and he stops. She gets the gate shut. Jack's still howlin' up a storm, but at least he's in. Then it was just a matter of rounding up the girls and a couple calves. They were back in after about 5 minutes (walked them right through a man gate into the corrals). We were almost done.

Only thing left to do was rescue the ATV out of the high pasture where Jack was. If we'd have left it there it would have been the world's best scratching post all night long (not good for the ATV). Jack calmed down after a couple of minutes and I was able to go get the ATV with no problem.

All before dinner was even fixed!

<shakin' head> [:D]

Comments

• retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Lord FCD... That's a work out... !
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One 'Black Mouth Cur' would settle your cattle problems,,,,[;)]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    One 'Black Mouth Cur' would settle your cattle problems,,,,[;)]

A bull whip would also. Don
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

We get him back in the pasture, but the gate hangs up on my wife trying to close it. By now I'm out of the truck, but Jack is charging the gate (where she is). I jump out in front of Jack waving my arms and holler at him and he stops. [:D]

I can understand this if you're trying to save your wife's life, otherwise it's a suicide move! Be careful.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cisco would have backed him up also (the ACD). Jack won't have anything to do with him. Problem is I had him inside because he still hasn't figured out the herding part.
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Cisco would have backed him up also (the ACD). Jack won't have anything to do with him. Problem is I had him inside because he still hasn't figured out the herding part.

FCD,,,,I'm talking 'bout a dog that will grab a nose, ear or cheek and won't turn loose until you call him off. Never seen a bull with 40 pounds of dog handin' on his nose, ear or cheek continue the fight. Almost all other cattle dogs I've been around go for the heel nip.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bill is right about dogs, a good dog is worth 2 good hands horseback.
    My old rope horse, me and one Blue Heeler took care of 42 head of cows for several years.
    W.D.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me thinks Jack would make some nice steaks and burgers [:p]

I have no time or use for mean or agressive cows/bulls/steers/cattle or anything else that goes moo. They will become table fare in a hurry, I've had the pleasure of attending several "cow go bye bye" rituals and will gladly attend more.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once a couple bulls get going over females they sometimes have to be separated by miles
    formerly known as warpig883