In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Car suggestions

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Donna and I are in the market for a new car. We haven't looked yet but will start soon. Right now we have an excursion and an expedition and want a mid size car that gets good gas mileage. What kind of car do you have and does it ride comfortably.??? We want to look a nissans, toyotas and a few other foreign cars. What would you recommend???We travel alot an want a comfortable ride for my back.

Comments

• Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Nissan Quest minivan. We just got back from putting 3000 miles on it and it rode well. We got 25+ mpg. Don
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Chevy Malibu and Impala.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toyota Avalon or Camry. Avalon is the Toyota luxury model. I'd forget brand new and look for a 2010 or newer with low miles. Many leases are expiring and these cars are being returned to the dealer. Late model Avalon is more scarce than Camry.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Check out the Chevy Malibu and Impala.

+1, I recently bought a Chevy Cruze and love it, but sounds like your wanting something a bit bigger. I LOVE the body style of the brand new Impala and they make just over 300 horsepower. A lot of people I know seem to like the Malibu a little more when it comes to a comfortable ride.

Jon
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Toyota Avalon or Camry. Avalon is the Toyota luxury model. I'd forget brand new and look for a 2010 or newer with low miles. Many leases are expiring and these cars are being returned to the dealer. Late model Avalon is more scarce than Camry.

We purchased a 2012 Toyota Avalon last week. Traded my 2002 Camry in for the Avalon. The Avalon has just about everything! Great car.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagon and have 90,000 miles on it. I get on average 42 mpg and it has lots of room to stretch out. The ride feels like your in alot bigger car but it handles like a sports car. Try one out before you decide. This one ran 26,000 for everything out the door and its loaded with the diesel.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Toyota Camry has the size and fuel mileage [;)]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    love my infinity g.
    rides great.

but if you don't need 4x4, i'd look hard at the nissans. better pricing. and the g is a little tight. but the ride is awesome.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Jetta or Passat TDI. Passat is more comfortable and gets better economy.

Yesterday over the highest highway point in northern PA, then secondary mountain roads, and bumper to bumper traffic to top it off... Average of 49.7 mpg.

At least have a look. You may well have an epiphany.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l have a 2002 GMC Envoy bought new. Now 84,000 miles always maintained,garaged. No dirt roads or harsh winters it sqeaks and rattles like an old taxi w/300,000 miles.

Then theres this Toyota FJ l got awhile back. 40,000 and not nary a chirp from old age. Same for the 2007 Nissan l had before w/110,000 on it.

l am sticking to vehicles from the RISING SUN.

Sadly GM's sun set long ago [:(]
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Have a look at the Camry Hybrid and Avalon Hybrid. Both great cars and over 40 mpg.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Ford Fusion.

I'll second the Ford Fusion. Ford didn't take government bailout money and I wouldn't buy a new car from Obama Motor Co. (GM)
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a Lexus ES and when we take our car in for servicing the loaner car they give us is usually an ES or RX. We have been very happy with our ES and when we eventually have to replace our 4Runner it will probably be with a Lexus RX. I would recommend that you at least test drive an ES.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of good choices out there:
    Audi A6, Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series, Acura RL, Infiniti G, Lexus ES or GS, Toyota Avalon.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Jetta or Passat TDI. Passat is more comfortable and gets better economy.

Yesterday over the highest highway point in northern PA, then secondary mountain roads, and bumper to bumper traffic to top it off... Average of 49.7 mpg.

At least have a look. You may well have an epiphany.

Epiphany's get horrible mileage.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    VW Golf TDI w manual trans
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Ford Fusion.

I'll second the Ford Fusion. Ford didn't take government bailout money and I wouldn't buy a new car from Obama Motor Co. (GM)

First American-made Ford Fusion rolls of assembly line in Detroit
    http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/395404/28/First-American-made-Ford-Fusion-rolls-of-assembly-line

2013 Ford Fusion Review:
    http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Ford_Fusion/

Ford Fusion (Americas)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fusion_%28Americas%29

Ford's Fusion Is a Company Game-Changer
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/08/31/fords-fusion-is-a-company-game-changer.aspx

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/
    fsn14_darkside.jpg
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Subaru Forester couldn't be more pleased
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta say nice about our 2011 Kia Optima EX.

Computed gas mileage 28.5. Best trip 34.5.
    Resale very high. No repairs.
    Smoking lease deal. 10 year warranty.

Heated cooled seats. Many nice comments.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like Ford trucks (currently driving my fifth one since 1991). However, I am less than impressed with Fords cars.

Here is a list of a few of the recalls on the 2013 Fusion

More Photos 2013 Ford FusionPrice Range: $21,900 - $32,200
    MPG Range: 22 - 47 mpg
    Bodystyles: Sedan

Safety Features Crash Test Ratings Recalls
    Recall ID # 92100 - ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Full Details
    Recall Date DEC 03, 2012
    Component ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Model Affected Fusion
    Potential Units Affected 80057

Recall Date:DEC 03, 2012Model Affected:2013 Ford FusionSummary:This is an update to a recently announced recall. Ford is recalling certain model year 2013 Escape vehicles manufactured from October 5, 2011, through November 26, 2012, equipped with 1.6L engines, as well as certain model year 2013 Fusion vehicles manufactured from February 3, 2012, through November 29, 2012, equipped with 1.6L engines. Coolant system leaks may cause the engines to overheat and leak flammable engine fluids. Consequences:If flammable engine fluids come in contact with the vehicle?s hot exhaust system, a vehicle fire could occur. Remedy:Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine for coolant system leaks and reprogram the vehicle?s powertrain control module and instrument cluster with an updated calibration and overheat strategy software. There will be no charge to owners for this service. Owners were recently notified to contact dealers to arrange for alternative transportation as Ford developed a remedy. Owners will be shortly receiving notifications to contact Ford dealers to schedule the free remedy repair. Owners may contact Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332. Potential Units Affected:80057Notes:Ford Motor Company
    Recall ID # 97743 - STEERING Full Details
    Recall Date MAY 31, 2013
    Component STEERING
    Model Affected Fusion
    Potential Units Affected 20

Recall Date:MAY 31, 2013Model Affected:2013 Ford FusionSummary:Ford is recalling certain model year 2013 Fusion vehicles manufactured April 19, 2013, through April 23, 2013. The steering gears may be missing an internal retaining clip. If the clip is missing, components inside the steering gear may become dislodged inside the gear assembly.Consequences:This could result in impaired steering, including the loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy:Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gear, free of charge. The recall began on June 17, 2013. Ford's recall number is 13S06. Owners may contact the Ford customer relationship center at 1-866-436-7332.Potential Units Affected:20Notes:Ford Motor Company
    Recall ID # 96459 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Full Details
    Recall Date MAY 31, 2013
    Component FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    Model Affected Fusion
    Potential Units Affected 390783

Recall Date:MAY 31, 2013Model Affected:2013 Ford FusionSummary:Ford is recalling certain model year 2013 Explorer, Taurus, Flex, Fusion, Police Interceptor Sedan and Police Interceptor Utility vehicles; and certain model year 2013 Lincoln MKS, MKT, and MKZ vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the fuel delivery module may develop a crack, allowing fuel to leak.Consequences:A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire. Remedy:Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel delivery module, free of charge. The recall began on July 20, 2013. Owners may contact Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's recall campaign number is 13S04. Potential Units Affected:390783Notes:Ford Motor Company
    Recall ID # 94704 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS Full Details
    Recall Date NOV 30, 2012
    Component EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
    Model Affected Fusion

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/ford/fusion/recalls/#ixzz2da9peko
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    I have a Subaru Forester couldn't be more pleased

Our 2012 Subaru Outback(my wife loves it) has been a great car too...we've put 27K on it and it gets 31 MPG with AWD. You should check out the Legacy if you want a sedan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Outback.. really? I have had 2. Current 6 cyl gets 23.

How many 31s do you see here?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/outback
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Wife has a Nissan Versa. It is a smaller car but rides big. There is more room in it than her old Sentra. The seats are tall and I do not have to fall into it. Tons of leg room front and rear.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Foreign that's for sure! Why would you want to give your money to Japan, and they'll use it to buy more real estate here, no way, not me!
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Once more... Passat TDI. Assembled in Chattanooga. A good content of domestic components. Among the best in safety ratings. Big, comfortable, and impeccable styling.

Then the diesel... The ONLY engine that regularly exceeds EPA estimates. 50+ mpg average is expected for road trips. Even local bumper to bumper will hit 40 mpg.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ask a trusted mechanic(my brother)a couple of days ago about the best car for my wife.Something dependable,good mileage,and reasonable if you need parts or service.Honda Accord or CRV or Toyota Camry and the Camry may be a little better of the 3.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    l have a 2002 GMC Envoy bought new. Now 84,000 miles always maintained,garaged. No dirt roads or harsh winters it sqeaks and rattles like an old taxi w/300,000 miles.

Then theres this Toyota FJ l got awhile back. 40,000 and not nary a chirp from old age. Same for the 2007 Nissan l had before w/110,000 on it.

l am sticking to vehicles from the RISING SUN.

Sadly GM's sun set long ago [:(]

Wish I had that Envoy [V]

We had a 2002 SLT from early 2005-2007, but traded it on a Tahoe. Today we saw a 2002 SLT that was nearly identical to the one we got rid of. Stopped and talked to the guy who was selling it. It was a bit rough. I saw some overspray from it having bodywork done to it and pointed it out. The guy claimed it had never had any work done to it. I walked away. It had almost 200,000 miles on it anyway.

I'm looking into the Nissan Maxima for my next car though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The time to own a VW is while it still has warranty.

Reliability web site:

Www.truedelta.com
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    0ur 2002 SLT Envoy actually was built in 0ct2001. lts in the ser no range of the ones that suffered catastrofic engine failure due to cylinder liners coming loose.

Lots of horror stories on that factory booboo. 0nly thing GM offered to do for us was to sell us a 50,000 engine warrenty for $700. Basically telling me "lts your problem-not ours".. After that kissoff we decided not to buy from Detroit any more.
    We DO NOT use the Envoy for long trips, only as an around town local driver.. ln 2007 it was a Nissan and now a Toyota l call on for dependable distance travel.

No more Destroit /Mexican vehicles fr me
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ford Fusion
    formerly known as warpig883