In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Car dealers stickers

Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
Any idea on how to remove dealer stickers from new car?

Comments

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    You peel them off. [:D]

No really, try a little heat. (Hair dryer etc.) Usually will come right off.

Denatured alcohol or gum off will usually remove any residue.

I know what you mean. I do not want that stuff on my vehicles either. They get peeled right off when home.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot air gun or hair dryer...heat it up and peel it off. Then use alcohol or Gooh Gone to remove residue.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

I know what you mean. I do not want that stuff on my vehicles either. They get peeled right off when home.

That's the first thing I do with a new vehicle when I get home too! [:D]
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Really pisses me off when the dealer thinks free advertisement! I
    can hardly feel or see the edges to get a hold of. going to try hair dryer method, thanks!
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make sure all such stickers are properly removed by the dealership before I finalize the deal.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've recently seen stickers that were printed by the dealer. They have the same format as those printed at the factory, but have other charges listed, such as "wheel locks", "pin stripes", "preparation", "handling charge", or "additional dealer markup". So, no telling what type of glue they use.

Neal
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goof off works good on the residue adhesive.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tell the dealer not to put them on. If they put them on anyway, they remove them before I buy the vehicle. If they mess it up it's their problem.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We bought a new "used" car from the local dealer.

It had hit a deer and been through their paint shop.

About a week or so after we bought it, the paint started to peel from the front bumper.

I took it back to the dealer and asked the salesman about getting another one of their stickers.

He looked at me with that "Oh my, he wants to do some advertising for us." look and asked me if there was already one of their stickers on the rear of the vehicle.

I told them there was one on the rear, but when people saw the paint peeling off the front bumper and asked me where I bought it; I got tired of answering their question -

so I thought I could get another dealer sticker and put it on the FRONT of the vehicle. That would make it easy for people to know where we bought the vehicle. [;)]

They did not give me a new sticker - or offer to make any repairs to the paint on the front bumper.

That was the last vehicle we ever purchased from them - and they are the only new car dealer in town. [:D]
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would take it back to them and ask to remove it. Guessing they have experience taking competitive dealer stickers off their trade ins.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tell the dealer "I don't do free advertising, if you insist on leaving the dealer sticker on the car, take another $500 off the price or remove it."
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always had the dealer remove the window/Monroney sticker from the window and put it in the glove box, once the purchase is completed
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blade Slinger
    Really pisses me off when the dealer thinks free advertisement! I
    can hardly feel or see the edges to get a hold of. going to try hair dryer method, thanks!
    Yep, I always remove them [:)] Typically at the dealership, right after I asked them how much will they pay me for advertising.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember back in the old days people would leave new car window stickers on their cars until they were turning yellow. They wanted everyone to know they were driving a new car. [:D]

If you buy a sports car take care of the window stickers and don't damage them and any other kind of labels that came with the car. Any kind of original paper work means a lot when selling when they become collector items.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the day... They'd drill through and bolt or plug those suckers on!

The adhesive backed stickers are a product of the last 30+ years.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tell the dealer that if he wants me to advertise for him, he needs to make a significant adjustment to the bottom line, otherwise don't put the decals on my car and let them know that I'm serious.

Otherwise a hair dryer and your finger nail will easily remove them in seconds.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they won't come off an NRA or S&W decal can cover it.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Yeah,,,,,,,,,but very few grind off the Rampant Colt on their Python ,,,,,,,,,[:D]

That's a manufacturer emblem.

If an FFL stuck his shop sticker on the barrel, that wouldn't leave the shop.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Goof off works good on the residue adhesive.

WD-40 worked better for me.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Less than ten years ago, my dad ordered a new truck from the dealer. He told them NOT to put their logo thingy on it. Sure enough, they did, and had drilled holes into the tailgate. He made them order a whole new tailgate to replace it. [:D] Tailgate was like $2k.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    you could get your own sticker(worst car dealer in the state) and put it above his. mr myopic.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOOD! Serves 'em right. [^]
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Less than ten years ago, my dad ordered a new truck from the dealer. He told them NOT to put their logo thingy on it. Sure enough, they did, and had drilled holes into the tailgate. He made them order a whole new tailgate to replace it. [:D] Tailgate was like $2k.

Merc

quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

• Options
    jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also remove any stickers on vehicles. Last one was a new pontoon boat that was littered with them on the boat and trailer.

One of the best products I have found for removing residue is the various brands of waterless hand cleaners I carry in the work truck. No grit in the stuff and it takes residue off with hardly any effort at all. Currently I have the cherry scented! haha! It also does wonders on stubborn areas of a vehicle full of bugs or tar that won't come off when washing the vehicle.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    We bought a new "used" car from the local dealer.

It had hit a deer and been through their paint shop.

About a week or so after we bought it, the paint started to peel from the front bumper.
    You should have left it parked among their used cars for a week. [:D]
    I took it back to the dealer and asked the salesman about getting another one of their stickers.

He looked at me with that "Oh my, he wants to do some advertising for us." look and asked me if there was already one of their stickers on the rear of the vehicle.

I told them there was one on the rear, but when people saw the paint peeling off the front bumper and asked me where I bought it; I got tired of answering their question -

so I thought I could get another dealer sticker and put it on the FRONT of the vehicle. That would make it easy for people to know where we bought the vehicle. [;)]

They did not give me a new sticker - or offer to make any repairs to the paint on the front bumper.

That was the last vehicle we ever purchased from them - and they are the only new car dealer in town. [:D]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never bought a new car so I have no clue :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    auctionplugauctionplug Member Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    I make sure all such stickers are properly removed by the dealership before I finalize the deal.

I either take the license plate frame; break it into pieces and send it back to them saying I will not advertise for your or ..........

..... before I sign on the dotted line I ask "how much will you pay me to advertise for you" [referencing any stickers or license frames].