In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's Everyones' Plans thru Independence Day?

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
We're headed to the river. Gonna BBQ and float the river. Celebrate whipping the Brits back in the day to gain our Independence. May everyone have safe travels. Thank you to our veterans and first responders.

USA... USA... USA!!

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as any holiday weekend: stay the hell away from anyplace public or "recreational." I recreate when everybody else is working.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off for five days...work two 8s and off for another four. Not doing anything in particular other than chores around the house. I doubt I will even go watch fireworks, unless I am needed to work. next week end I'll be going to Coonhound Dog Days in Saluda NC.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another day as far as planning anything. May have a cookout at home.

e1c99a5614e2792be0f3c363b63eaa00.jpg
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some trout fishing on the Battenkill, way up here on the Vermont border, in the morning, then a cookout.

In the evening will take in a minor league baseball game. The Tri-City Valley Cats,( Houston Astros )...and the Brooklyn Cyclones, ( New York Mets ).
    Fireworks after the game.....some good baseball, family friendly and cheap..[:)]

Interestingly, the Houston team is the local affiliate up her in New York State ..
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Tarp the cars (so the s(p)itheads' aerial displays don't scorch the paint.

Wet the Yard.

Steaks and Lobsters on the Grill.

Prep the Big Bang Cannon, just like I have for over 55 Years.

Mix up a Pitcher of Martini, and put out a plate of Monster Double Stuffed Olives (Jalape?o/Garlic)

Watch the Show.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are having 16 people over for a day on the lake.

Boating, floating, lobster tail, rib eyes, grilled corn on the cob and an assortment of beverages.

I would be one of the spitheads, I guess,[:)] but the mortars are all aimed out over the lake and only get a bit of carboard packing material on the boat cover.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Same as any holiday weekend: stay the hell away from anyplace public or "recreational." I recreate when everybody else is working.

+1, when the kids were younger. We would take our three day weekend the week before or the week after any holiday. Sure was nice beating the crowds. We also got the same enjoyment out of it as everybody else did that done it on the holidays, but we got to do more of it because there was no crowds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup. It's only fair, after all. We retirees get to have the lakes and such most of the time. When the working stiffs finally get some time off, let them have the facilities without us.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    @Don: Lot of difference, shooting the mortars out towards a lake, instead of raining sparks and flaming debris into native woods and onto the roofs of Houses backed into those woods.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yup. It's only fair, after all. We retirees get to have the lakes and such most of the time. When the working stiffs finally get some time off, let them have the facilities without us.

Living on a lake makes it almost mandatory to entertain on the 4th, Rocky. I must confess, though, that this is the most important day of the year to me, and sharing it with family and friends is a burden I gladly bear.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good on ya, Don.

It's kinda important to me, too. This one will be our 47th wedding anniversary. The irony of getting married on Independence Day has never escaped me...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good on ya, Don.

It's kinda important to me, too. This one will be our 47th wedding anniversary. The irony of getting married on Independence Day has never escaped me...

Thanks for that, Rocky. A true laugh out loud comment.[:)]

Brad Steele
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boating and clamming on the bay...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Youngest son and his girlfriend are coming down for a few days. Depending on the weather, grilling, eating, fishing, shooting, eating,
    the burning a couple quality cigars, bonfires, eating, more eating,
    ....and I have a bag or two of fireworks to shoot off !!!!!!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    With work Monday its just a Normal Weekend with a day off during the week.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as most days when in NJ - Early beach-fish- pool -grill - Early range- less MC though -the bennies are in, they drive like ****.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just stay home, do some work / cleaning in the barn, grill up some brats and just take it easy with the family.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good on ya, Don.

Congrats on the 47.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Should add mow the field just in case some idiot goes to shooting off some firework and starts a fire.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    Oak Ridge Boys doing a free show Sat. night about 30 miles away in Simpsonville SC.

then on the 4th, Hillbilly Days in Mountain Rest SC - free all day bluegrass -

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hillbilly+days+mountain+rest+sc&qpvt=hillbilly+days+mountain+rest+sc&FORM=VDRE
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to get Beered up and shoot off some fireworks. I may smoke some ribs too if I stay sober enough, if not I will just grill some burgers.

Then I am going to smoke a good cigar and drink some Tullamore Dew.
    RLTW

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I might watch the city sponsored (HA!) fireworks show at the balloon fiesta field, then race home, slap on the level IV plates, and relax with an ice cold lemonade in the bunker.
    So many morons shoot firearms from about 8pm on through the night, that the falling projectiles almost sound like heavy metal hail outside.
    Then, about 1am, when all the amateurs have quit making those annoying noises; a 1/2 pound tannerite bang.
    Happy 5th of July!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I might watch the city sponsored (HA!) fireworks show at the balloon fiesta field, then race home, slap on the level IV plates, and relax with an ice cold lemonade in the bunker.
    So many morons shoot firearms from about 8pm on through the night, that the falling projectiles almost sound like heavy metal hail outside.
    Then, about 1am, when all the amateurs have quit making those annoying noises; a 1/2 pound tannerite bang.
    Happy 5th of July!!!!

I like the way that you think! [;)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tomorrow's festivities begin with moving 40 cow/calf pairs to another pasture. Followed immediately by a "goat rodeo" involving catching, sorting, weighing, vaccinating, and loading close to 75 goats. After that, I'm not sure but likely some repair of fence damage precipitated by the preceding events.
    After some recovery time, the plan is to strip the planting and spraying electronics from the tractor cab and re-set the rear wheels(500# each) back to pre-planting width.
    Beyond those entertaining pass-times, the schedule is open. Maybe a fish fry if we have any fish in the freezer or hot dog roasting if no fish.
    Sunday is unknown.
    Monday probably a work day.
    Tuesday there's some parades and community events.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..skeleton force(me) will work some on Monday....Go to my friends house on the Pascagoula River...for a cookout (do it every year)...Boiled Shrimp and potatoes ,with potato salad and water melon...Perdido Beach on the 15th....
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keeping the magic going at the Magic Kingdom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Another day as far as planning anything. May have a cookout at home.

e1c99a5614e2792be0f3c363b63eaa00.jpg

SSOOOO....... you can post pics of a ball park frank but you can't say the words????[?][8)]

[:0], ......there, that's better

IS THIS A GREAT PLACE OR WHAT?!?!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I am going to get Beered up and shoot off some fireworks. I may smoke some ribs too if I stay sober enough, if not I will just grill some burgers.

Then I am going to smoke a good cigar and drink some Tullamore Dew.

SO YOU'RE SAYING BURNT BURGERS ARE BETTER THAN BURT RIBS ?? I THINK NOT[:p][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the first time in 27 years, we are not hosting an Independence Day party. I have been busy, my wife has been swamped, and we decided it wasn't worth a mad slog to get the yard ready and then do all the stuff to prepare for the guests.

We are just going to go over and have a little birthday party for Mom's 81st, and then a couple of friends are coming over for drinks and snacks. I have a couple of cigars I have been saving for a Special Occasion...and I have a bottle of Dalmore 12 year old Scotch.

Close enough to a party.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    playing with my new "toy" (imur test)
    AC3tbvpm.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be attending the family picnic...

I had not done one - participated in the picnic in well over 10 years

Since in all likelihood I will be dead within the next five years it's probably a good opportunity to pay my respects one final time

Part of me wants to go - so I can unburden myself - answer some questions - shake some hands and say goodbye...

Part of me wishes on could avoid it all together but in am afraid that I will be the center of attention.

Say my goodbyes - pay my respects - make my peace with everyone who is open to such gestures.

they are family and they do deserve to hear from me directly one last time.

Kind of a party buzz kill.

But I believe it's the right thing to do - a needful thing - a serious personal debt and obligation.

Maybe I will bet a bit of liquid courage in me.

I have an obligation - I owe a debt - and I an still physically and mentally capable of handling this...

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how nord and Dave and others have been seal no with these issues...

I have a small stockpile of baby shower gifts to be handed out...

Makaila insists on accompanying me on my goodbye tour and will be 4th there to provide emotional support...

I guess that I am not coping with this very well - I want to go out and be a role model and demonstrate - how a good moral Catholic politicly active man handles adversary and hardship.

I could just skip out on it - I could bail and avoid facing things...

But we all know that I an not only incapable of doing that - we all know OK will do the right thing...

It will be an emotional rollercoaster.

I will try to set a good example - to be a bright white hot beacon for others to follow...

Makaila does not have to go through this - she is a saint - and I am liable to be an emotional wreck and to have a cathartic collapse at something.

I will also be attending mass on Sunday - it's been a long time - I have been asked to perform a reading and to play the role of senior usher.

I await your critical remarks - with great anticipation.

Mike
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    wife dragging me to Carolina Beach sunday... i aint happy I hate crowds

never been on the 4th.. i stay home..did i mention i hate crowds

maybe i can stay with Ricci

oh and i hate crowds