In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying hand guns in Texas

chas3819chas3819 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
I live in Texas and I recently decided to buy a S&W 637 light weight 38 for self protection at home. So I went to a local Academy store in the Ft. Worth area and arranged to buy one.

It turned out the sale could not be made without some kind of approval made by the FBI. The papers were submitted to the FBI by Academy. That was over two months ago and the sale has not been approved, nor any other response made by the FBI as far as I know.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Are you Kidding us.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Why I hate Texas...[:D]
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do not get a proceed, and are delayed with no response in three days from the ATF. Academy, will NOT release the gun. It's not a Texas thing, it's Academy's policy. No response, No gun.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand that if there is no response within 3 days, the sale may proceed. This is the law as it is written. I don't know if individual states may 'interpret' the law as they see fit.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have your concealed carry permit you could walk right out the door with it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    If you have your concealed carry permit you could walk right out the door with it.

Not in Oregon.

But it does in Texas.

quote:If you hold a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) you can present that as proof that you can legally own the firearm, and a NICS check does not have to be performed. You still have to fill out the 4473 form.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    If you do not get a proceed, and are delayed with no response in three days from the ATF. Academy, will NOT release the gun. It's not a Texas thing, it's Academy's policy. No response, No gun.

A fine reason to NOT shop there for anything!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sportsman's Warehouse has the same policy. Go back and ask them to submit the 4473 again. Likely it will get a proceed.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of the problem may be the submission to the FBI, resubmit to the ATF and you probably will get a response.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    Shop somewhere else.

Find a local small business FFL. If he doesn't have the gun you want, buy it on GunBroker and have it shipped to him.

You want to have it shipped to me? No problem. You just have to come to Wolfe City to pick it up, and the fee is a whole $10.

It ain't rocket surgery.

BTW, there is no "paperwork" submitted the FBI. It is either a phone call or a computer entry.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chas3819
    I live in Texas and I recently decided to buy a S&W 637 light weight 38 for self protection at home. So I went to a local Academy store in the Ft. Worth area and arranged to buy one.

It turned out the sale could not be made without some kind of approval made by the FBI. The papers were submitted to the FBI by Academy. That was over two months ago and the sale has not been approved, nor any other response made by the FBI as far as I know.

You must be quite new to all this huh?

Yeah, Federal Law, stupid though it is, requires a background check on a gun buy from a Federally licensed seller. You fill out an ATF Form 4473, the seller contacts the National Instant Check System and requests a check on you. If you are a bad guy with a record, hordes of Federal Ninja's will rappel out of silent black stealth helicopters, yank your pants down to your ankles, tightie whities too, and give you a proper bare assed spanking. Seriously, that's part of the law.

Okay so I made up part of that ... guess which part [:D]

The cure for the problem in many states is to get a Concealed Weapon Permit, or just get to another seller and have them run it all again. Some states call it a Concealed Carry Weapon license. All sorts of terminology. Once you have that, the state you are in may decide that you have already been checked out and are not a criminal in need of being spanked.

There is a school of thought that having the CWP is just giving in to the Evil Alien Overlords and all that sort of thing. Maybe those people are right, maybe not, not my problem.

Apparently, it's your problem.

Yeah, try another seller.

Here's some for ya' to consider:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Revolvers/BI.aspx?Keywords=*637

If you are not already attuned to the workings of this great gun selling machine, here's some light reading to get you started:
    http://www.GunBroker.com/User/BuyerTutorial.aspx

Ya'll come back now ... ya' hear!?

PS: Um... if you are actually a criminal trying to pull a fast one here, picture them Ninja's ... they do mean business.
  • Options
    edited November -1

• Options
    edited November -1

Okay, thanks for the info folks. Academy strung me along for weeks and just shrugged when I asked what was going on. I told them I was going to GunBroker and buy one. Academy said that the receiving FFL would have the same problem which sounded fishy to me. I will find me a local FFL and buy from GunBroker site.

Again, thanks to you all.
    Chas
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Chas, is there a reason for you to be denied on the background check?????

If there is, don't bother going to a different FFL. Charges of domestic violence or felonies cause denial.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

If there is, don't bother going to a different FFL. Charges of domestic violence or felonies cause denial.
    In case you don't know what can cause you to be declined, some of them are a felony conviction (hard to get), a dishonorable discharge from U. S. Armed Forces (dang near impossible to get), domestic violence conviction (felony or misdemeanor), fugitive from justice, Trial on felony charges pending and a few more I can't think of right now.

It's unlikely you were declined for cause. In Virginia they call it an "instant background check", but it really takes about ten minutes. I don't see a reason Texas would take longer.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

I was jailed about 55 years ago when I was young for being drunk in public. It was legal to drink, but illegal to be drunk. That's all I can think of. I have bought and sold a dozen, or so guns here and I have had no trouble before this.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not far from dealers who frequently post here.

Any dealer will follow applicable law.

Let your money do your talking!

Welcome!