In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unsolicited Phone Calls

OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
How many out there are plagued by these "unknown name, unknown number" phone calls? All mine are trying to "fix" my credit card debt. It's always a recording. I'm on the national do-not-call list, but that obviously doesn't work. How do I make them stop? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OLDCOP
    How many out there are plagued by these "unknown name, unknown number" phone calls? All mine are trying to "fix" my credit card debt. It's always a recording. I'm on the national do-not-call list, but that obviously doesn't work. How do I make them stop? Thanks!

This is the 21st century, don't you have caller ID? If I don't recognize the phone number, or it's an 800 number or says "Unknown name", I don't answer.

Pretty simple [:)]

John
  • Options
    Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you think about it, aren't most phone calls unsolicited?
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    We use call block, works great!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your handle implies the answer to your problem....get an OLDDETECTIVE to find out who is getting even
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    If you think about it, aren't most phone calls unsolicited?

Now that just made my day and get's the weekend off to a fun start!
  • Options
    tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep getting one of these calls on my cell phone (I get it once a month or so) that is a recording in Spanish and my Spanish is a little rusty so I've never bothered to figure out what it is they're trying to sell. I'm not sure how I got on a call list in Spanish (maybe this is the trend, as illegals outnumber legal residents they'll go to "Oprima dos para ingles")

"Oprima dos para ingles" means press two for English.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    USA
    258 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 : 6:40:07 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    How many out there are plagued by these "unknown name, unknown number" phone calls?

Everyone; U cannot escape the "auto-dialer"![:(!]
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Usually if you say "may I have your name and number so I can call you back?" They will hang up.

Also, say "I'm going to record this for quality assurance purposes".

If all else fails, just lay the phone down and let them talk to the air.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a first today. I got two calls on my CELL phone telling me I won $25.00 and all I had to do was answer a few question's for a survey.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    If I get a call that says "unknown caller", or it's a number or name I don't recognize, I just don't answer the phone. Let it ring. If they want to leave a message on my answering machine I'll call them back.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get a lot of calls from people who want to let me know they called a wrong number. I don't know why they think I need to know about it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got some calls from a "survey" company in Idaho that was hired by our state health dept. I didn't answer the first 4 or 5, but they kept calling. One call was at almost 9PM! I go to work at 6AM, so most nights I'm in bed by 9. Pizzed me off, so next time they called, I answered it. After our very short conversation, sprinkled with expletives on my part, I don't expect to receive any more calls from them.[:D]
    I did get the home phone number of the director of the state health dept. Maybe the good Doctor would like to get some late night calls?[}:)]
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my first name is realy different, and i never used it growing up or now,so when i get a call useing that name 9 out of 10 times its a junk call,i just say he,s down at the barn and i,ll go get him and lay the phone down,when the phone startd beeping after they hang up. so do i. eastbank.