In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SWAT hits wrong house. Used WiFi Address!

ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
SWAT raid on a wrong house, based on an IP address and Wi-Fi router that had no password protection

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2683692/microsoft-subnet/is-swat-raid-on-wrong-house-based-on-open-wi-fi-ip-address-unconstitutional.html

We need SWAT teams. We do not need idiots doing military raids on innocent people's homes based on ignorant, incompetent, unthinking failures to identify their targets ahead of time.

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    People have chided me for using strong passwords on my home wifi. This exactly why I do.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some dim wit needs to lose a job over this blunder...

What a shame the billions of dollars for homeland security produced crap like this violation...
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoever the lead supervisor was on that operation needs to be demoted. If that was done on all these "wrong house" blunders, it would greatly diminish these mistakes.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    totally justifiable if homeowner wasted a couple with a 12 gauge, but that would turn out bad too[:(]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a neighbor with an unsecured wireless router.

Is HE going to be surprised when the black helicopters show up at HIS house!

[:p]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    People have chided me for using strong passwords on my home wifi. This exactly why I do.

I do the same thing.

If someone can get on my router, they can get to my computer, too.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a bunch of idiots. That's a common thing in the Atlanta area. I've always said that I fear the jack booted thugs here more than I do the criminals!!

Luckily they didn't shoot the old lady and the kid like they did the 92 year old woman in Atlanta a few years ago. And then they planted drugs in her house to try and cover up their stupidity. They shot at her 39 times but they didn't kill her before she shot 3 of them with her old revolver. Then they were to embarrassed to admit that they were out gunned by an old woman and claimed they shot each other in the cross fire.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting
  • Options
    Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two flash bangs hell of a surprise!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Too many of these raids go bad against innocent people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-knock_raid#Examples
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Protecting and Serving
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    did you fail the exam or are you a crimminal? you must be if you hate these acts by the police. mr myopic.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    States need to pass some citizen protection laws from these out of control military raids.

Criminal culpability for the person who orders the raid meaning unless a commander signs off as being responsible they can not make a raid.

Immunity for all actions by civilians who use force to defend themselves from these thugs when the "wrong house" is raided.
    Immediate assistance to repair damage from the police attack.

Plus, replacement of any and all ammunition used to defend these home invasions. (Intentional rub law)

IMO, No knock warrants are contrary to our constitution and should be banned

The notion one can't pass the examine or be a criminal to hate cops (for such outlandish actions) makes anyone who believes that look like an idiot and should be an embarrassment to "real" LEOs the majority who do a good job every day
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    well it most be true as a MOD. here believes it. lover of civil rights,mr myopic.