In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My new/old Gun won't go Bang!

wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,145 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
Everything seems to work like it is supposed too when there are no rounds in the Gun. When you try to load a round, the bolt will not go down with the exception of one little click when you first start to push it down, then it locks up. You have to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it open.

It's the Remington mod. 710 marked 30-06.

I tried a .308 thinking it may have been re-bored and it did the same thing.

Head Space problem? Wrong Bolt?
There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,607 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Factory loaded round?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, Factory Loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    Yep, Factory Loads.

Is the bolt wanting to cock when going into battery ????

You lost me. doesn't the bolt cock when you open it? Or do you mean that it tries to re-cock?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, Factory Loads.

Is the bolt wanting to cock when going into battery ????

You lost me. doesn't the bolt cock when you open it? Or do you mean that it tries to re-cock?

Look at the back of the bolt after retracting and going forward,,,,,,,,does it remain protruding at the rear,,,,

Dang it, my kid just stopped by and picked it up to have the PD Armorer look at it.

I see where your going now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Is the bolt lubed? Apparently the 710s stick when dry. Lube the locking lugs and give it a try.

I did clean and oil the gun. It seems to work fine without any Ammo in it, (Cocks and Fires). It's when you put a round in the chamber, the Bolt will go in, but not down.

Another point that I should bring up though, is that the Dealer told me that he had just taken it in on trade. I asked him if he had fired it and he said yes, but just once. He Lied. The Bore was plugged full of lint and dry!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IIRC,,,,,,,there was a recall for the 710 in the early 2000's,,,,,,,might wanna verify with Remington,,,,

I'll definitely do that one. I blew a hole through the side of a friends truck when I was about 16 with a defective Bolt action 12 Gauge! I have been weary of safety's ever since!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    It's a 710.

I think mine was made in 1952. It has what looks to be YY on the Barrel.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there a scope on it?
    Screws too long? Protruding into chamber?
    Good luck!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    What does the front end and shoulder of the case look like? Examine the forward end of the camber carefully, is it perfectly clean?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 710 wasn't introduced until 2000-2001 and ran through 2006. Y would make yours '04?.

I'm sure your local smith has thought of it but, I'm going to throw it out there anyway. A Go-NoGo headspace gauge set will determine whether it is a headspace problem.
    If it passes go-nogo then the problem has to be A. factory cartridge dimension off, B. possible scope screw impinging on chamber (I'm sure you've looked into the chamber), C. bolt locking lug/s or lug abatement/s burred/galled, D. bolt handle bent from hammering on it,,, (I'm scratching my head for other ideas). E. crud in ejector bore of bolt face (these are push feed, aren't they).
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the ejector pin on the bolt. Clean the bolt. This happened to a friend of mine, Remington 700.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a "Gunsmith" take a look see !!!!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    The 710 wasn't introduced until 2000-2001 and ran through 2006. Y would make yours '04?.

I'm sure your local smith has thought of it but, I'm going to throw it out there anyway. A Go-NoGo headspace gauge set will determine whether it is a headspace problem.
    If it passes go-nogo then the problem has to be A. factory cartridge dimension off, B. possible scope screw impinging on chamber (I'm sure you've looked into the chamber), C. bolt locking lug/s or lug abatement/s burred/galled, D. bolt handle bent from hammering on it,,, (I'm scratching my head for other ideas). E. crud in ejector bore of bolt face (these are push feed, aren't they).

Duh, It's a 721 not a 710. I guess I'm half blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other!
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, a 721 is a whole 'nother critter.
    Anytime I have experienced the same type of malady, it has been a cartridge/headspace problem. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going to invoke the 5.56 in a .223 methodology. It close but not working. Just a stab in the dark by me- Might it be an "Ackley improved" Chamber?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,607 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Going to invoke the 5.56 in a .223 methodology. It close but not working. Just a stab in the dark by me- Might it be an "Ackley improved" Chamber?
    As far as I know an AI chamber will fire stock rounds.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to take the proverbial shot in the dark, and say that the throat is too short. When you take the round back out, do you notice any sign of rifling on the bullet itself?
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    I'm going to take the proverbial shot in the dark, and say that the throat is too short. When you take the round back out, do you notice any sign of rifling on the bullet itself?

My son took the Rifle to get checked out, but I still have the 30-06 and the 308 rounds that I tried to chamber.

The 308 has no signs of rifling, but the 30-06 does. It also has a worn? "Ring" on the casing at about 1.50 inches from the rim.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a .308 case misbehaves like the 06 case, doesn't seem like a headspace issue. The "ring" around the case sounds like galling in the middle of the chamber. Maybe your Remington has 4 rings of steel!
    Time for a gunsmith.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your supposed to say Bang Bang
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious, whadya find out?
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    Just curious, whadya find out?

I finally got the Gun back from my kid and pulled the Mounts off of it. It still has the same problem. It's not too long of screws in the Scope Mounts protruding into the Chamber.

I took a closer look down in the Chamber and it looks like there are some "rings" dug into the Chamber that I didn't see before. they look like they are in the same spot that are making the ring marks on the brass.

The dealer said that he would make it right, but he lied to me about shooting the Gun. We'll see.