In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Service Dogs

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
I know why service dogs exist but lately I have seen lap dogs with a vest saying service dog, and just 2 today while on 2 different airplanes. The obvious is a blind person or a young disabled person with injuries that I would surmise occured in Iraq or Afganistan. The 2 I saw today were female and middle aged or better with no obivious signs of physcal problems. As a matter of fact, 1 ( how should I say this), was rather obese. They came on the planes without assistance. I guess my question is are their requirements to lable a dog as a service dog or can you just buy a jacket ?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a group here that trains service dogs and they are taking them into the range to expose them to gunfire. It would seem to me that an indoor range would be too loud for a dog's ears.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    used to start by beagles by shooting around the corner of house out of sight, then 22 beside the pen, after they got used to it they seemed fine, matter of fact you could see the tails wagging if I came out with shotgun in hand, they knew what it meant..... I would start easy with shots from someone else little distance away, if first shot scares em quit right then
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think that is the way to start out either.

I used to go to the Trap and Skeet range onpost and work my dogs outside the fence far away, as they got used to it we would move closer and work with the retrieving dummy.

Kind of ease them into it.
    RLTW

• Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time was I would take my Brittany pups to the local skeet range.
    would play with them 50-60 yards away from the fields.
    never had a gun shy dog.