In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bumble bees DO sting, Owie....

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
So I'm driving back from the track today, and I feel something crawly on my left shoulder, I reach back, and there is definitely some insect there. I'm thinking a catepillar, because it's sort of hairy. I flinched, then I reach back again, and it's gone. Cool. I proceed to the onramp to the expressway, and I happen to look down at my lap, and there on the seat by my left thigh is a bumblebee. Oh, yes, and of course I'm wearing shorts. So I pull the car over, and try to get out, but the darn thing got me first. I get out, sweep it off of my carseat. Upon arriving home, I Benadrylled myself and put ice on it.
I don't know who it was who told me so, but bumble bees definitely DO sting. I have the welt to prove it.

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Oh yea!!

Got popped right between the eyes when I was about 10 years old.[B)]

Both eyes were swollen shut for a week!

[V][V][V]

BW
  • Options
    lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes they do, we had three local middle school girls stung by a bunch of bumblebees, one as many as 110 times...... all hospitalized but going to be ok.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Good thing your not allergic to them. we have two kids here that are, extremly allergic to bees and have to carry an epipen at all times!!!
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read somewhere once that a great percentage of single vehicle wrecks, where alcohol is not a factor, can be attributed to bees. Have you ever been cruing along and a wasp or bee flys in your window? Its a normal reaction to try to get the bee out of the car before it gets you and at highway speeds, its easy to lose control of your vehilce while swatting at the bee!
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    thats the worst feeling ever, when you see them and just know they are gonna sting you for sure...dam[B)]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I don't think they lose their stingers either when they sting. They are pretty docile though and won't sting unless threatened.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    In the earliy '70's was riding across AZ and somewhere north of Pheonix saw a big old sign indicating an exit for Bumble Bee. Was wondering why anyone would name a town bumble bee about the time I hit one. Dead center in the chest, he, or she, must have been flying same direction as me, got stung, big time. That did not feel good.

Bumble Bees, like the domestic honey bee will usually not sting without good cause, defense of the hive or self defense being the usual triggers. Leave them alone and they will treat you in a like wise manner.

Got 2 flowering bushes of some kind on the corner of the house that bloom all summer long, the bumblers work them hard the whole time. I even trim these bushes with the bees working it and have never been stung, not even close.

Wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are another story, I'll go out of my way to end their miserable existance cause they will attack for what I see as no good reason.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We need pics...[;)][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Good thing your not allergic to them. we have two kids here that are, extremly allergic to bees and have to carry an epipen at all times!!!

Mike carries an Epipen in his truck.
    The only time I've ever seen anything approaching fear in this guys' eyes was our first year at Watkins Glen, and he got stung by a yellow jacket. His face went white. Luckilly, we were with 2 nurses, one of which is also alergic to bees, and had the Eipen on hand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I don't think they lose their stingers either when they sting. They are pretty docile though and won't sting unless threatened.

No they don't. Or at least mine didn't. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have stung me had I not tried to extracate myself from the car and moved or threatened it in some way, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Andy yes, tomahawk, you know exactly where the sting is going to be, but damned if you do, damned if you don't.[;)][:)]
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    We need pics...[;)][:p]

++
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Hurt like the dickens.
  • Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a nest of them big bumblers in my shed. i started my generator and let it run about a half hour with the door shut! didnt do a damn bit of good[:(] they all came back