In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone have a Remington model 81

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Ive wanted one of these for a while. I think the .35 is the one I would rather have. Anything in particular to look for. I just like the looks of them. Have never fired one, or held one for that matter.

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one chambered for .300 savage I love shooting it and would use it for hunting but my eyes and open sights and anything more then 50 yards away are not compatible for hunting anymore . Make certain the outer barrel tube is not dented and the only way to scope one is with a side mount
    e1Vre7v.jpg
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    I have one chambered for .300 savage I love shooting it and would use it for hunting but my eyes and open sights and anything more then 50 yards away are not compatible for hunting anymore . Make certain the outer barrel tube is not dented and the only way to scope one is with a side mount
    e1Vre7v.jpg

That's nice. I just love the looks of that rifle. Thanks for posting
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting them is unique you can feel the barrel moving back during recoil
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Shooting them is unique you can feel the barrel moving back during recoil

Ive read about that. I'm going to have to break down and get one. I wouldn't want a scope. looks too good without it.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have one and owned several before and sold or traded. 300 Sav, 30 & 35 Rem. Also model 8s.

All have functioned flawlessly, but with the barrel sleeve, recoiling barrel and rear sight on the receiver, don't expect MOA accuracy.

These are close quarters rifles IMHO, would be reluctant to shoot any game under 100 yds.
    edited November -1
    ive deer hunted with the same 760 for almost 35 years. have to admit, if I get one of these. I might have to take it. I like older remingtons.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had the same itch several years ago and bought one in .35 rem. a lot of fun to shoot and everyone at the range wants to give it a try. would like to find one in .300 savage.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/682049195
    I owned this one, a moel 8, till a month ago.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that would have been mine had i seen it and you probably would have made some more money.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, here's my Model 8 .35, made in 1927. The only thing I didn't like about it was a shorter length of pull than what I'm used to, hence the reason behind the recoil pad in the second pic. It was a lot of fun to shoot. Fair amount of recoil for what it was, shooting from the bench, due to the drop at the heel, as well as the bolt and barrel cycling rearward together.

37372089286_7b967ebd98_z.jpg

37388268712_272bcb62b2_z.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.