In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good day at the range!!! I got to shoot an M1

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
So this afternoon I went to the range, and I took a buddy who had never been shooting before.

we started off with my marlin 981T...after some fun with that,we moved on to my 1911 and my S&W 642 with soft loads.

He had a blast!!! did pretty well for a first timmer as well. I am very sure he will go again if I invite him even though it was a hour drive to the range.

It felt good to promote the cause of firearms[:D]

Then, while he was plinking away with the 22, I looked over two lanes down, and I saw a really nice looking M1 sitting there...i walked up to the man (probably in his 50s) and asked if it was his....he said it was his daughters, I told her how nice it looked and she actually offered to let me shoot it!!!!!

I had never shot one before and always wanted to. I felt like a kid in the candy store! She give me an 8round clip, informed me it was a 6oclock hold and let me go!

I didnt shoot that great, only had one bull while I shot a vertical string about 7 inches high starting at the bull and going up from there. Im thinking that I unknownly fired a couple of those rounds as I would on my 22 which does not have a six hold, but still I was shooting high.

She was a much better marksman than I it seemed. I wish I could have stayed longer to chat more and make a friend, apparently she had built the rifle with parts herself and she did a very nice job....the trigger was very, very smooth with a very crisp break...Hopefully I will see her again some time, Its a rare thing I think these days that someone will just offer to let you shoot their (probably match grade) rifle without even asking your name first (we did introduce afterwards).

Either way...it was a great day for my friend...and a great one for me as well.

Hope everyone else has a day like I did today.[:)]

Comments

• Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I'm out shooting I always take 1 of my BP's to shoot. Normally there will be 1 or 2 people that ask and I will offer to let them shoot. Afterwords I get ton of questions. Never had anyone not like it.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A day without an M1 is like a day without sunshine!
    [:D][;)]

That reminds me, I've got a bunch of LC match cases to prep.[:p]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.