In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1847 Colt Walker replicas.

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
What's a good brand to look for, and who here is the resident guru on them?

I find myself wondering why I don't have one already, and thanks to a random $10 yard sale purchase last weekend, I have a round ball mould that should work. Much like basically every other firearm I've ever owned, I've "wanted one for years".[:)]

200fe1a0cebcf0f605ce71447120a787.jpg
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I've had a CVA version for probably 20 years so don't know what they're like now. But, I'm amazed by the timing of the action and accuracy and authenticity.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I've got an 1848 (?) Confederate Navy .44 by Uberti. I am always amazed at the quality, for the money, when I have it out. Highly recommend them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You probably have already, but check out Cabela's Black Powder revolver selection. Bought mine as a Christmas gift to myself. They run sales on them frequently.
    Good luck with the Fire. Looks like you have quite a bit of cleared land around you, to keep you safe. Best. -Ken-
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1851 Navy. Barzillia nailed it. Confederate Navy is a brass frame. The Army model is Steel framed. Both very good guns. Cabela's offers the Walker as well.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good ones are all made in the same shop even if they have different American brand names, just make sure is a spaghetti made piece.[;)]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its addictive, and a whole new Subcategory of Firearms to get into. Unbelievable people would re-load these under fire. Very humbling, to say the least.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    I might try the 1851 Navy first, if you haven't.

Or the Army model.

That is a big iron, for sure.

I'm a big fan of big iron.[:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Walker, if I remember correctly is easily $200+ more than the 1851 Navy or the 1858 Army. Bought my 1851 Navy, on sale, for $199.(incl. The Black Powder starter kit.) Added a spare cylinder for fast change out/reloads. Its a hoot to shoot!
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uberti for the 1847

If Pietta had one... It would be a good second.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have to shoot somebody with it and it misfires, just drop it on his foot!
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a quality and accuracy standpoint look into a Ruger old army. Full loads and it's got a top strap and better loading arm and ability to rest the hammer Off a chamber They are discontinued but around
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt 2nd Generation ,in a presentation case , never been fired.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative
    From a quality and accuracy standpoint look into a Ruger old army. Full loads and it's got a top strap and better loading arm and ability to rest the hammer Off a chamber They are discontinued but around
    I have 4 "Cow Boy Action"..with fixed sight...
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 1858 Remmies...

With an R&D cylinder that shoot 45LC
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

That aint BP...[:o)]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ColtWalker2ndGeneration_zps358b100e.jpg
    Nice![:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1851 Colt Navy, it's a reproduction but it was made by Colt in the Colt factory. It's a "C" series made in 1977.
    The case is Mahogany, pictures aren't very good.

008_zpsd4o1ef5a.jpg

003_zpst8y2luby.jpg
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the .44 Army because I like round barrels.
    The Walker is a powerful handful for sure. But I never liked shooting one very much. The loading lever would come down half the time, and it is a heavy hunk. The Army is much more pleasant to shoot. Or Navy if you like octagon barrels.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    The Walker is a powerful handful for sure. But I never liked shooting one very much. The loading lever would come down half the time, and it is a heavy hunk. The Army is much more pleasant to shoot. Or Navy if you like octagon barrels.

Only half the time? [:)]

(a short piece of rawhide'll fix you right up.)
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

How does the 1858 Remington feel in your hands compared to the 1851 colt navy? I haven't had a chance to handle the Remington yet, but the grip looks to be different from the colts. Been considering a short barreled one for a crossdraw concealed carry rig. (access while in car)
    Did own an 1851 navy once, it just 'felt right' in my medium sized hands. Wish I'd never let it go. [V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Colt 2nd generations are a good value...
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by minitruck83
    quote:Originally posted by fideau

Only half the time? [:)]

(a short piece of rawhide'll fix you right up.)

Yeah. You knew you had a magnum load when it pointed straight down.[:D]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once heard the walker was the 44 magnum of its day....uberti replicas are great
  • Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per an article in the May 2008 issue of The American Rifleman: "Louis Imperato (obituary).........in 1973 he bought Iver Johnson and later Plainfield Machine and began making commercial versions of the M1 carbine. Soon thereafter, Colt contracted with Iver Johnson to build the Second Generation Colt black powder revolvers, followed by the Third Generation or Signature series."
    "In 1993 he started.....Henry Repeating Arms Company making .22 rimfire rifles" *,**

*some of which were formerly made by Erma Werke
    ** Henry Repeating Arms is now operated by his son.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My pop had a buddy with a bunch of cap n ball pistols.He said that the replicas were better than the originals because of better materials and timing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I own several BP pistols that are new and never fired, the bet ever made in my opinion is Rugers Old Army( a take off of the Remington'58)....Uberti makes the best reproductions...I own a "Colt Dragoon"...by Uberti!dcp_0005rugeroldarmy.jpgdcp_0003.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainCrossmanCaptainCrossman Member Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    What's a good brand to look for, and who here is the resident guru on them? .[:)]

I've had 3 Walkers and one 2nd model Dragoon.
    they are very heavy and cumbersome.
    great to handle, look at.
    but an 1860 model Colt Army replica is a way better gun.
    I sold all the Walkers and Dragoon.
    I had ASM and 2 Ubertis. The ASM started to shoot loose after only 2 cylinders full. about 12 shots.

those guns just don't have enough steel hardness to use a lot. they are basically cheap guns. it'* and miss whether they are heat treated enough, or have enough nickel content. some are as soft as playdough it seems...

after spending a LOT of time researching this, and buying a lot of different cap/ball pistols, the only way to fly is an original Colt, or reissue late model Colt, or one of the Belgian made Colt replicas, or the Spanish made Oviedo ? replica.

other than that, an bona fide STAINLESS replica is a great buy. those are more durable, harder than the run of the mill blued replica. I have one ASM 1860 stainless, that is simply beautiful, rock solid, tight action, no slop in the barrel wedge area.

but if you want the strongest of all, while it's not period correct, get a Ruger Old Army. it has the same frame material as the Blackhawk 44 magnum. that's the only way to build a firearm, top shelf material. I had a few of those as well. they are basically a modern highpower magnum frame converted to blackpowder cap/ball.

when all is said and done, it comes down to METALLURGY.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I suggest an 1860 Army (or a Dragoon if you really want a heavy piece). Walker loading levers are known for falling down due to their weak spring retainers which resulted in the improved latch on the Dragoons.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cavalryman's comment at the time was: "It's hard to get one in hand
    but once in hand, it would unhorse a Mexican by hitting either Mexican or his horse." A pair were carried in saddlebag like holsters in front of the saddle.
    The Walker could be loaded with 60 grains of powder but subsequent Dragoon models were lighter and used lighter charges.
    I sold two original 1860s because flash residue gets completely into the lockwork and under the grip. These guns need to be completely disassembled for cleaning. On originals the guns are diminished by marring screw heads and wood to metal fit by all this dissassembly.
    At present I have a 2nd stainless Colt Army, Uberti Remington Army and a stainless Uberti Pocket Police.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    My pop had a buddy with a bunch of cap n ball pistols.He said that the replicas were better than the originals because of better materials and timing.

I've heard that too. I guess soldiers had a tendency to want to load them to the max, and they'd blow up due to the softer metals used back then. I don't know what they would've used back then to make the frames and cylinders. Iron?