In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

3 drowned this weekend

tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
out of towners swimming in the meramec river at Sullivan..happens every time, strong current and undertow...better know the river and be a damn strong swimmer[V]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We had 3 drown around here this weekend as well...Two rafters that fell out of a raft that flipped on the Couer d'Alene River and the other one was (I believe) a fisherman on Priest River...I think he fell into the water.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens quite often off the Outer Banks here in NC.

Treacherous rip currents.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the flow so to speak. Here in SC we have some wicked undertows, you have to learn to swim with the direction of the current
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So far heard of none in this area. But last weekend was a good hot one there were a few.

Problem here is water temp. This stuff is coming straight from snow melt.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Go with the flow so to speak. Here in SC we have some wicked undertows, you have to learn to swim with the direction of the current

Actually, you swim perpendicular to the current...not with it, nor against it. I was an Ocean Life Guard in SC and I do understand rip tides.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't matter how you swim if you don't use common sense before you do it, it's amazing how many people just jump right in without having a clue about the area or water characteristics.
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three died in flooding here on Sunday. Man and wife missed a flooded bridge on their driveway while driving home and were washed downstream. A 14 year old boy playing in a flooded ditch was swept in to a drainage tile and drowned. People just don't believe that water can be that powerful.