In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Damn that UPS

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
Sold a rifle here on GB few weeks ago. I received the payment last week and the check cleared today so I took it down to UPS to ship to the buyers FFL. Had the dealers name on the box along with the buyers name so the dealer would know upon receipt. The UPS broad asks me if the name on the box is correct and do I have a copy of the dealers FFL to show her. The she asks is it being sent to have it repaired or have custom work done on it? I said no I sold it to some one and that I was sending it to the dealer so the buyer could pick it up from him. She says to me we can't do that. You can only ship a rifle to a dealer to have it worked on. I said to myself you gotta be (PROFANITY EDIT by nunn) kidding me. After a few seconds of brain fade she says that will be $36.00. Has this happened to any of you?? I just wish all these UPS and Fed/ex people could get on the same track.

Comments

• Options
    Frontiersman101Frontiersman101 Member Posts: 3,259
    edited November -1
    I imagine you don't have to be that smart to work there! Oh, I guess I should be qualifide then.[:D]

My uncle has sent a few rifles that broke during shipping, and UPS would not take responsibility for them![:(!]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ups Gorillas have broken the stocks on the last 3 guns every one the buttplate and toe was broken over 3 months ago still fighting with them
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I ship rifles usps priority well packed insured and have never had a problem. I have also never been asked what it was just the standard questions they ask and when i informed them they have never asked to see an ffl either
  • Options
    wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of the boxes that come to my local ffl looks like they were ran with there truck but some how the guns were not damaged
  • Options
    lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell them your shipping curtain Rods ----

Lee
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    For rifles, just use USPS ...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Why not just Mail (United States Postal Service) the "Long Gun" that is legal ya know....Also Half the price you paid at UPS. Last one I mailed a couple months ago cost me 17.00 including the insurance..
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle I shipped came in a hard case so the box was quite a bit larger than just your normal rifle in a box. The insurance for a 2000.00 rifle was $18.00 so the actual shipping price wasn't that bad.
    If you use the Post office to ship your long guns do you tell them so and what method of shipping do you use priority mail or parcel post???
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Ups Gorillas have broken the stocks on the last 3 guns every one the buttplate and toe was broken over 3 months ago still fighting with them

Try packing them up properly.

Have sent plenty of guns overhere, both within Greenland - and to Denmark and Germany.
    None have been mishandled... One was handled rough, according to the receiver, but due to proper packing.. nothing happened to it.
  • Options
    Tom Lee ATom Lee A Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HobbyGuy,

I used the UPS Store for shipping long guns with no problems. This is in Arkansas.
  • Options
    kernbob1kernbob1 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone before mentioned packing properly. It's true. I ship high value sculpture and works of art regularly. The best description I can give is to 'float' the item in the cardboard. Just imagine that "fragile" is translated as "kick harder" and pack accordingly.
    Kbob