In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plumbing ? - Bathroom mold

scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Upstairs bathroom shower leaked. Leak repaired, but I have a 4'x4' area on the bottom side of the shower floor that was damp and has mold on it. Considering a mild bleach solution to kill whatever is alive then repairing the ceiling and calling it good. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    50/50 bleach and water solution seems to work well. Dry it out thoroughly and then seal it with kilz or polyurethane.
  • Options
    FUUN063FUUN063 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^^^^What he said^^^^ Good luck.

Leland
  • Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replace the wood, that is the best way to ensure your health. Also, the wood has already began to degrade from the moisture. A sheet of plywood doesn't cost that much, and it is the right way to do it. before you put it back down, run 2 coats of Kilz OIL BASE primer on it to help with future moisture.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Call Holmes on Holmes!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    when we bought our home, there had been a leak under the kitchen cabinet. We ripped out the flooring and some of the wall board (as well as part of the cabinet, but the affected areas that couldn't be removed so easily we sprayed with bleach and fan dried for a week. Then we sealed it with Kilz and buttoned it all back up.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see horror stories about mold. In my experience, fix the moisture problem and the mold dies. Clean it with a bleach solution and no problem. Mould cannot survive without moisture. Prety simple.