In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GB Family Muscle Cars.. Past & Present

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Tomh's giveaway sure pulled a few of your cars out of the shadow's!!!

How about a thread on GB muscle cars, past and present.

If you got some pics, old or new, and a story to share, let's hear it!!!

I have a 1965 Olds 442 (425, 4-speed car) which will become a 455 4-speed car... someday.

I just sold my 1969 Olds 442 (400, 4-speed) in August 2011.

How about you guys?

NS

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found my 1971 Mustang Mach 1 under a tarp in a old guys shop in 1981. It had a 351 Cleveland with Ramair, a deluxe electric everything interior and 26000 original miles.
    I had it painted fire engine red with 1973 graphics applied ( I liked the 73's better then the 71's) put on Cragar Wheels with 50 series tires and loved every minute of the ten years I owned it.

ScreenShot229.jpg
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My '71 Cutlass 'S' and '70 442

12-13-08_1610.jpg
    12-13-08_1613.jpg12-13-08_1612.jpg
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    ScrumpyJack,

Cooooool... here are a couple of pics of my 1969 Olds

100_3490.jpg

100_3491-1.jpg

NS
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Through the years I've had a number of Mopars, '69 383 4spd RoadRunner, '67 Cornet R/T, '68 Charger R/T, '68 Hemi GTX 4spd. My favorite though is my old truck, 1960 Dodge D-100, 759hp, 528ci Hemi. I've had more fun with the truck than all the cars put together.Dave
    PICT0402.jpg
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Wish I had a picture of my '68 Cougar. She was sweet.[8D]
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is a picture of my 68 camaro that i bought in 72.
    i was the third owner of the 396 375 horse big block that only was driven 1/4 mile at a time by the previous owners.
    i drove the car on the street about a year till the engine blew.
    i then parked it for 30 some years.
    last february i started the restoration. so far it has a 383/534 horse
    small block and disk brakes on the front
    more to come in the future

100_1298.jpg
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwb267
    here is a picture of my 68 camaro that i bought in 72.
    i was the third owner of the 396 375 horse big block that only was driven 1/4 mile at a time by the previous owners.
    i drove the car on the street about a year till the engine blew.
    i then parked it for 30 some years.
    last february i started the restoration. so far it has a 383/534 horse
    small block and disk brakes on the front
    more to come in the future

100_1298.jpg

Love it!

I had a '69 Camaro. FIL built a 383 stroker for me, and he later built a 4 link rear for me too. I need to scan some pics. I kick myself everytime I think about having sold it.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the car that started it and ended it for me.
    Started with a wrecked oil burner and ended with a really nice rolling chassis. And a 375/396 on the stand next to it. Several engine combinations in between and lots of money wasted. Just couldn't decide which way to go with it and end there. Nature of the beast, I guess.
    camaro2.jpg

I wrecked this one myself and rebuilt it. More money wasted. Should have been buying Pythons instead! I don't know why Chevy didn't do this? Just a cam, headers, some simple mods.
    camarotoo.jpg
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1977 I found this 1965 with the 396 covered in a garage. The owner said it was his deceased son's and had been stored for years after his death. I paid 3,000 and it only had 12000 miles on it. Sold it a couple years later for the same price. [:(]

1corvett2.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Started with a 1962 Dodge Polara 500. Pulled the 361 and Dropped in a fully built 440 with full manual TorqueFlite. Added a roll bar and hood scoop. Drove this my senior year of high school.

standard.jpg

Then had a 1969 Olds 442. Pulled the 400 and built a 455 for it. With 4.56 gears it could pull the front tires off the pavement when launched.

Picked up a 1968 Road Runner with 383 and 4 speed.

Then bought a 1969 Doge Coronet R/T with a 440-4 speed. Swapped in a 426 Hemi. The guy who sold me the engine wanted it back badly enough to buy the whole car to get it.

Took that cash and bought a 1969 Dodge Charger 500 with a 426 Hemi. This was a limited production model and the last time I saw one sell at auction it fetched $200,000. I sold mine for $3,500 in 1981.

My last muscle car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440-4speed. had it for 17 years. Finally sold it and I have mourned it ever since.

standard.jpg

Sometimes I get the urge to buy another muscle car, but they are so expensive to buy and maintain I don't think I can justify it.

But it sure was fun to go fast...
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    We had a 1966 Red SAAB 91 - that is 550 cc of Neck Snapping, Fire Breathing POWER!
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wish i had them back, or even pics of them...
    '61 olds starfire 394-4bbl
    (for those who dont know them, a delta 88 cut down to a 2 door)

'51 chev deluxe i got out of a farmers field... look in one back fender through the trunk out the other side, $15
    re-did the body, transplanted an olds 455 and a pontiac power-glide w/hi-stall converter and beefed up bands... did the 1/4 in 14.7 !

'65 gto small block 326-4bbl

now i have to go cry over the loss........
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I am still digging up the pictures, I am very distressed that many of the pictures were early digital images which are forever stuck in my old computer...
    my favorite ever. 1969 RS/SS Camaro convert. Rare L-89 factory 375 hp 396 with aluminum heads. same set up as the actual indy pace car.
    69rsss396.jpg
    donnaandcamaro.png
    this was my last muscle car. 1969 firebird convert 400 4 speed. I don't know that I will ever own another one. I love to look at them but I have grown weary of maintaining them and 8mpg really bugs me these days.
    69firbird.jpg
    I have had alot of muscle cars over the years, at one point I had 11 sitting in my shop. here are some of the notables.
    1969 Trans Am
    69transam.jpg
    1969 SS 350 in Daytona yellow, my first frame off resto
    69SS350.jpg
    1969 RS/Z-28 in Tuxedo Black. I had several of these they are my favorite drivers 290 hp? Hah!
    69Z-28RS.jpg
    Here is an old picture. I had a 76 camaro (this is the only picture of it I can find) and I am astride my 73 Kawasaki Z-1
    Z1Kawasaki.jpg
    I don't know if an 89 IROC is a muscle car but I bought this one new in 89 for the sole purpose of showing off. this is a desert storm parade with my dignitaries on the top boot.
    desertstorm2.jpg
    70 chevelles were some of my favorites. this one had a 427 and was the only car I ever owned that could actually pull the front wheels off the ground. sorry for the small picture.
    70454drags.jpg
    here is a bone stock LS6 454 the most powerful production car of the era at 450 hp
    70chevellels-6.png
    here is a 68 chevelle project. 50 bucks from a field-6 months later it was a beauty even if the picture isn't LOL

cars_4448.jpg
    cars_4447.jpg
    I will try to dig up some others, it sure is fun to relive the memories
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I had a lot of buddies with classic muscle cars, me being me, I had to go another direction. I always had either a New Yorker or an Olds 98 around.

My fun car was kind of a rat rod. The motor out of a 58 New Yorker, 392 Hemi, loadflite tranny and a narrowed Dana 60 spooled rear end (8 lug). Manual shift push button automatic LOL. In.... wait for it......... 1964 Valiant station wagon. This car was really ugly, red faded paint and surface rust. I sure don't know how many horses it had, my guess is around 350, but with tons of torque. Anti wrap snubbers in the back, frame strengthen with around a quarter ton of angle iron. Custom coil over shocks in the front to help the torsion bars out some. It actually road pretty good and had a decent balance. I was working at a brake shop at the time, it actually stopped pretty good too. It had a nasty habit of really flexing the frame and the back hatch would come unlatched when I'd gas it up, I eventually welded it closed. I got pretty good at replacing glass that would crack when the motor tried to turn the frame into a pretzel. I surprised a lot of Dusters, Chargers and Barracudas with that thing in the early 70's. I actually bolted odd peaces of sheet metal in, so it would rattle when it idled, all part of the fun. Oh and I almost forgot, I had giant snow tires on back LOL air them down and they would get pretty good traction, though they tended to spit chunks of rubber. I actually completely separated the inner part of a steel rim from the outer one day, like I said lots of torque.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Brother's 69 Olds 442....

100_0832.jpg

dsc00246.jpg
  • Options
    HWT FIREARMSHWT FIREARMS Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here is a picture i found right after i got the car
    scan0006.jpg

here is a picture after the engine blew, getting it ready for storage
    my girlfriend then now my wife
    scan0005.jpg

my friends 68 after after the crash. he didn't make it[:(]
    he was going through the gears when the rear tires hit a metal plate on the street
    scan0004-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this is what Im working on now

2r76p8j.jpg
    2cyi4k5.jpg]

pic I forgot to put in my other post. cobra got sold a little after I got married[:(]
    f-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by doubledutch
    2ag9jr8.jpg
    1w4tz.jpg
    scqefb.jpg
    2n86hw7.jpg
    2uopgsg.jpg

dont care for the car[:D], but i love your dog
    just kidding!![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ha ha he is my helper
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way way way too many pics to photograph and post. Most GM.. enough to bring the hater's out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I always preferred 2 wheels myself.

388DCP_0498000675.jpg

025.jpg
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I bought my wife a 2008 Ford Mustang Bullit. She is one woman who can appriciate a good Muscle Car. It is a driver not a kept car.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

388DCP_0498000675.jpg

had me a road king police myself in 2005 but being 22 and single insurance was killing me so I sold it (at a profit[8D])
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by doubledutch
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

388DCP_0498000675.jpg

had me a road king police myself in 2005 but being 22 and single insurance was killing me so I sold it (at a profit[8D])

Won the auction on GovCo.com from Atlanta Ga. Still runs great. There was less than 8k on a rebuild, top and bottom, according to the maintenance log I got with it. Did yours have the fan blowing thru the Jugs?
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Pro Street '64 Tempest.

DSCN0020.1JPG.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Way way way too many pics to photograph and post. Most GM.. enough to bring the hater's out of the woodwork.

this is the time when you SHOULD post them, dummy[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

just a couple would prove you at least had them[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found a couple more
    my all white 65 gransport convert
    buick-gs-1965a.jpg
    and my 73 442, I got more tickets in this car than any other. A cop who had a crush on my GF used to pull me over every time he saw me in this. I got tickets for exibition of speed, reckless and neglegent driving not to mention tickets for speeding, parking missing stop signs. I always went to court, he never showed up and they were all dismissed. When I drove the gf's car, he gave me fix it tickets, bad exaust, bald tires no seatbelts...he was a real fun guy (I hope they are happy together)
    scotts73.gif
  • Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 1967 Olds Delta with 425 rocket engine. Car has 43 +or - ACTUAL miles. Was a gift from a friend. His mom's car-- was on blocks for 15 years. I want it sold as I am not interested. Money will be given to the friends daughter.All original.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Anybody that bitches about fuel mileage on a Muscle car doesn't deserve to see any.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Anybody that bitches about fuel mileage on a Muscle car doesn't deserve to see any.

you know what they say, no pictures, you didn't have any[:X]
  • Options
    edited November -1

you know what they say, no pictures, you didn't have any[:X]

I will show you one picture... I have other Old Car Price Guides but this one is from 1987. I have been playing with old cars since 1972 when I got interested in them. In fact I was at the Auburn Dairy Queen with the Kruse's started their old car auctions in 1971. I am not new to the rodeo. I tend not to look back on what I had or wished I still had. IF I did I wouldn't have what I have today buy not selling what I had. SO loudmouth let's see your current collection...

DSCN0962.jpg
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thebambam2001
    Have a 1967 Olds Delta with 425 rocket engine. Car has 43 +or - ACTUAL miles. Was a gift from a friend. His mom's car-- was on blocks for 15 years. I want it sold as I am not interested. Money will be given to the friends daughter.All original.

boy do i wish i could help you out on that sale,[:(] nothing like those old 88 and 98 models!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edited by - select-fire on 11/27/2011 4:10:42 PM

wow!that is really a good looking car
    anyone can post a picture of a book. that is just funny
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    1969 Vette.

350/350 high compression. Nothing special in the Vette world, but I love that StingRay body style...

16271494-79d.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edited by - select-fire on 11/27/2011 4:10:42 PM

wow!that is really a good looking car
    anyone can post a picture of a book. that is just funny

That isn't a book, it is a magazine. That is funny. Stingray's rock. This baby was found after a long search and was the same car from my past after high school.
    I still have it.
    DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Way too much air in those need to be ripple walls
    [:D]

quote:Originally posted by use enough gun
    Through the years I've had a number of Mopars, '69 383 4spd RoadRunner, '67 Cornet R/T, '68 Charger R/T, '68 Hemi GTX 4spd. My favorite though is my old truck, 1960 Dodge D-100, 759hp, 528ci Hemi. I've had more fun with the truck than all the cars put together.D
    PICT0402.jpg

Good eye, When I took that picture I'd just mounted the slicks and had way to much air in them after seating the beads.Dave
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Current ride for those summer days,,,
    '85 Super Sport
    100_3566.jpg

One from the past,

'66 Bronco, 475 HP 406, and at least 2 other mods....
    scan0002-1.jpg