In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dog, Flea Question

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This is a 2 part question. I have been using Frontline Plus for my Border Collie the last couple of years. I need to buy more, as it is time for her treatment. Question no. 1. Frontline doesn't seem to get the job done anymore. Do you know of a better product? Question 2. My vet is charging way to much for flea treatment stuff. Many years ago I was able to purchase animal pharmacuticals at a much reduced price from Omaha Vaccine. Where is the best/cheapest place to order online today? Some place you have used and are happy with there service and reliability. Thanks all!

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    My lab has never had anything besides flea collars from dollar general, 3 maybe 4 ticks and zero fleas in 5 years now. knock on wood.
    I shouldn't say he's never had anything else because I'm sure some of the shampoo my wife gets him has flea & tick control in it also.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I use advantage it works for us. Better price to as you get 4 mo. for about the same price as front line 3 mo.you don't have to use a vet for flea treatment do it you self.
    go to petco.com or petmeds and order on line.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    sassafras root and leaf tea sprayed on the dog and yellow sulfer powder dusted in its coat works good
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay the thing to do is get the biggest tubes since the largest and the smallest are priced about the same. Now then go to a feed store that sells syringes and needles (you might have to fill in your info). Suck up the doseage for your pooch and use as usual. Don't stick the dog with the needle (you're just using that to get at the liquid). Also you should have enough liquid for a later doseage unless you have a really big dog.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to find a friend as a vet tech. I get my stuff at about 1/2 the cost. I have been using Frontline Plus and it seems to work good.

I have also found a Non toxic yard flea control spray that also works great on ants, spiders cutworms etc. that I spray on my lawn and around the perimeter of the house about 3 times a year. That alone knocks stuff down about 70%.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I treat our yard with a dry chemical that kills tick,fleas,cut worms and other buggers. We have a 6 month old sheltie and lots of hair.[}:)]
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I use Frontline on my dogs as it seems to work fairly good althoug I do find a tick on occasion but havn't had any problems with fleas. My vet charges $75 for six month supply which is actually only 3 months because I have 2 dogs.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of the dog fleas go eventually too
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get a 6 month supply for about 68 bucks on post. Thats the frontline + stuff. It works pretty good on Tubbs.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF, what product do you use to treat your yard with? You mentioned non-toxic. There was a product I used to use on my yard that was great. Than I moved to a new house with lots of garden space. Didn't really want my kids to be eatting goodies from the garden contaminated with pesticide.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Best thing I have found is to keep the fleas out of the yard. Get about 20 lbs of pelletized sulphur and scatter it about the yard. It is good for the soil and runs off all the pests. My dog has not had fleas in 2 years, and I am not burning his kidneys out with a systemic bug killer.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I asked my vet what the problem might be since Frontline wasn't working like it once did for us. I have been using it for nearly 9 years and we never had a flea problem.....but a couple years ago we did....and last summer. We haven't had any yet, but it looks like Frontline just isn't working. I even have even picked up the doses for our dogs and was ready for the summer months.

My vet told me that everyone has had problems with Frontline lately and that it wasn't working for anyone like it used to. He said he had been lucky with ProMeris which works just like Frontline (drops on the back of the neck once a month.) It has a eucalyptus (spelling?) smell to it for the first day that you apply it....but it is what I am trying this time rather than the Frontline.

I'll let you know if I am not happy in a month or so. He said people were happy with it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • dpfrangdpfrang Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't think Frontline did a very good job on my dog when I tried it out. What I end up doing is just pouring him with Ivomec when I'm treating cattle. I just do a couple drops and it's good for awhile.

I've heard of people using K-9 Advantage; don't know anything about it. I always see a commercial for 1800petmeds.com They claim things are cheaper priced.
    edited November -1
    Survivalist86, where do you get pellitized sulphur? I can see where it would be good for the yard. In certain areas of the country it really will help your wheat yield. Wheat being a grass.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search for "flea trearment" & look for an AUSTRALIAN exporter.
    I got Advantage flea treatment for less than half of what I pay downtown delivered to my door.
    Shipped from Australia, for crying out loud!
    [:(!]barto[:(!]
    edited November -1
    I know you can do a Google search on most things. What I'm really after is "word of mouth". I think the average GB person is an intelligent person. If I hear from several people talking up a particular product or a particular supplier I will look very favorably on said product/supplier. I'm also looking for negative feedback, as in I bought from company A and got burned, used product B and it didn't work. Barto, you mentioned an Australian supplier. Before you mentioned that I would have shied away from an order coming that far thinking there was to much room for screwed up shipping or no way to easily handle a complaint. I think a lot of people don't check things out enough before they purchase something. Getting the opinion of people here at GB is one way I check things out.
  • wallbangerwallbanger Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This will work better than anything you get at a Vet and a whole lot cheaper..... Go to Wal Mart and get you a bottle of Bayer Tree and Shrub without fertlizer and if they don't have it get the Ortho brand same ingredients.Use 1cc per pound body weight and pour it down their backs just like you would the little packs you get at a Vet.I do my dogs the first day of every months and you can spray their kennel and dog house .I use this and never see a tick or flea on my dogs .And you have enough for two or three years.After I measure it out I mix it with a little WD40 it will stay on better but you don't have to do it for it to work.
  • lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have been letting your dog
    hang out in the WRONG CROWD ----

Lee