In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thinking Big in a Small Business

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I've always chuckled at those people who run a small business and think big. They expand. Run multiple crews and make less money with more overhead.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Bigger isn't always better.

I've seen a few crews of two men do just as much with less and make a decent living without worrying where the next job is going to come from.

Having said that, I think I have a chance to expand a part time farming job to something legitimate. WHile the temptation is there, a small voice in the back of my head asks myself if it is worth it. Is it worth to try to go big without the debt load. Or is it more exspences and minimal income.

A man has to know his limitation. So often in this "free market" we don't. We want it all. We want to go "big time". We lose track of costs in the name of having a bigger operation.

Yeah, the temptation is there.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In one hand.
    How many times have you looked back, and said, I wish I would have gone for it?

In the other hand.
    How many times have you said, I wish I had NOT tried that?

Which hand is fuller?
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I go for it all the time. It has cost me money at times, but at others has laned me a very profitable outcome. I currently have about 120 people who bring home a check to their family every week because i took the risk. I am proud of what I have done, and the risks I have taken. Not all have panned, but the majority have and I am better off, as are many others, for me having done so.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I've always chuckled at those people who run a small business and think big. They expand. Run multiple crews and make less money with more overhead.

I have made this mistake!A man's got to know his limitations.

I've seen a few crews of two men do just as much with less and make a decent living without worrying where the next job is going to come from.

This is a true statement! I know from personal experience.

Having said that, I think I have a chance to expand a part time farming job to something legitimate. WHile the temptation is there, a small voice in the back of my head asks myself if it is worth it. Is it worth to try to go big without the debt load. Or is it more exspences and minimal income.

A man has to know his limitation. So often in this "free market" we don't. We want it all. We want to go "big time". We lose track of costs in the name of having a bigger operation.

I get more done with 5 men myself included than I have when I had 12 employees and I wasn't on each job all of the time. It's bitter sweet, I could take more work if I had more bodies,but, I will spend more money and make less or the same profit with twice the stress.

Having said that, I could use three good masons right now, but I know better, it will not happen, I am better off to work harder and do it myself with my men.

You heart is speaking the truth.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When you quit your job, is that insurance going to be so cheap?
    When will you get a vacation and sick days?
    How about set hours? You want to give up 40 plus the farming, and do regular 80+ hour weeks?

You have something more or less guarenteed now. IF you give up your job and work for yourself, the payoff could be much better. True.

Then again, it may not pan out the way you want. Farming is a tough business as you allready know.

I am sure you allready know which direction your life is heading. Your a smart enough feller Capt.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    If you have 10 people working for you, you have 10 problems. 100 people, 100 problems. You have to ask yourself - how many problems can I handle?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    In one hand.
    How many times have you looked back, and said, I wish I would have gone for it?

In the other hand.
    How many times have you said, I wish I had NOT tried that?

Which hand is fuller?

Amen...in business, you will not get anywhere without taking some risks...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

I get more done with 5 men myself included than I have when I had 12 employees and I wasn't on each job all of the time. It's bitter sweet, I could take more work if I had more bodies,but, I will spend more money and make less or the same profit with twice the stress.

Having said that, I could use three good masons right now, but I know better, it will not happen, I am better off to work harder and do it myself with my men.

In your field...my old field as well, you almost have to be on the job all the time...doing most of the work yourself. From your pictures, I can see you take pride in your work...so did I. I was a perfectionist. I could sub stuff out and still be building...but I seriously doubt I could live with the quality of the work my business was producing. With the building industry, it was all or nothing for me. I limited myself due to my standards.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

In your field...my old field as well, you almost have to be on the job all the time...doing most of the work yourself. From your pictures, I can see you take pride in your work...so did I. I was a perfectionist. I could sub stuff out and still be building...but I seriously doubt I could live with the quality of the work my business was producing. With the building industry, it was all or nothing for me. I limited myself due to my standards.

That is the ticket right there! it takes dicipline
  • 22lrplinker22lrplinker Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hi Capt,

I took the path less traveled...
    ...by running a small business and thinking small. I know my limitations and simply don't have the organizational abilities or the kind of personality that can tolerate checking on employees to see if they are doing their jobs properly. I'd rather just do things myself.

So I've run a simple one man business for 30 years... no payroll, no bookkeeper, no crew scheduling, no truck fleet, no office, no secretary, no workman's compensation insurance, no human resources director, no liabilities...

...and no headaches.[:)]

My employee always shows up for work... and my boss always lets me do whatever the hell I want.[;)]

It's a smooth running extremely efficient machine, with no internal friction, consistently productively profitable regardless of economic conditions, gives me personal freedom and autonomy that people could only dream of... and has provided for all of our needs and wants.

I had multiple opportunities to go really big... turned them all down... and never regretted it.[:)]

It's your call which way you want to go.

Take Care,

Greg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22lrplinker

Hi Capt,

...by running a small business and thinking small. I know my limitations and simply don't have the organizational abilities or the kind of personality that can tolerate checking on employees to see if they are doing their jobs properly. I'd rather just do things myself.

So I've run a simple one man business for 30 years... no payroll, no bookkeeper, no crew scheduling, no truck fleet, no office, no secretary, no workman's compensation insurance, no human resources director, no liabilities...

My employee always shows up for work... and my boss always lets me do whatever the hell I want.[;)]

It's a smooth running extremely efficient machine, with no internal friction, consistently productively profitable regardless of economic conditions, gives me personal freedom and autonomy that people could only dream of... and has provided for all of our needs and wants.

I had multiple opportunities to go really big... turned them all down... and never regretted it.[:)]

Take Care,

Greg

Even if I had no employees I still have to Worker's Comp.(even though I couldn't claim a case on myself) and gen. liability insurance. If you don't mind, what business do you run?
    edited November -1

Hi Capt,

Take Care,

Greg

Even if I had no employees I still have to Worker's Comp.(even though I couldn't claim a case on myself) and gen. liability insurance. If you don't mind, what business do you run?

In Idaho you can get away without Worker's Comp, provided you are working alone or you only have one family member working with you.

Back in VA, you did not have to have Worker's Comp unless you had 3 or more employees...not counting yourself. It varies from state to state.
  • 22lrplinker22lrplinker Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Hi Capt,

Take Care,

Greg

In Idaho you can get away without Worker's Comp, provided you are working alone or you only have one family member working with you.

Back in VA, you did not have to have Worker's Comp unless you had 3 or more employees...not counting yourself. It varies from state to state.

Same here... in my state, Sole Proprietors working in the construction trades are exempt from Worker's Compensation Insurance. So I've been totally happy to take full advantage of that over the years. A one man business can be incredibly efficient when there is no debt and your overhead is zero.[:)]

Greg
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I sleep verrrrry good at night with the knowledge that I do not have to meet payroll on Friday .
    I have tried it both ways .
    Make better money with less hassles by myself .
    For the heavy jobs , they are done on Saturday's with my SIL help .
    He knows how to take orders ![^][^]