In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building an AR-Follow up

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
By the time you buy the tools required for proper assembly....the parts kit....and the stripped lower....economically does it make sense? how much are going to save over finding a decent deal on a complete lower?

I can see how it would be entertaining to learn how to build a few, but if I'm just looking for one does it make sense to build a lower myself?

Its like reloading...by the time you invest in all the equipment, if your not an avid shooter it really doesn't save you anything to do it...

thoughts? concerns? complaints?(actually not really interested in complaints)

Comments

• Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Building a lower, yes, worth it. You save a good chunck of change. I would buy the upper complete unless you are planning to do multiple builds, the cost of start up is not worth it (if price is your main deciding factor). If you have the $$$ and like to learn new things then go for it.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    Building a lower, yes, worth it. You save a good chunck of change. I would buy the upper complete unless you are planning to do multiple builds, the cost of start up is not worth it (if price is your main deciding factor). If you have the $$$ and like to learn new things then go for it.

What he said, Also building a highly optioned rifle youself is cheaper then paying someone else to do it. But CMMG is still pretty cheap.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree with Goldeneagle the lower is rather cheap to build if you want a different trigger or different stock on it. You can make it your own. The tools needed are mainly in the upper assembly and you can get away with minimal tools, that you probably already have for the lower.

If all you want is a standard lower, with 4 position stock, and standard trigger, then it is easy to just buy the completed lower.

With all that said, if you buy an upper and lower separately, you do usually save money because you don't have to pay the 10% excise tax that is on firearms.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Yes, No, kinda sorta.

If you are only doing 1 build and are trying to build a base rifle you will not save any money at all.

If you are going to build a couple guns
    If you want to build a custom gun
    If you want to have the tools around incase you ever need them
    Then it is worth it.

The only "special" tools you will need is a receiver block, $40ish, and receiver wrench $25ish. You will need a toque wrench and a vice but those are not just for this one gun.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    Anvil Arms. they are priced right and that is who I am going to use for my next bild for a lower and a upper.