In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any one like lightning.....shameless plug

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    [^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/574782616

Do you take kidneys as payment? Got one I don't really need.[:D][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no Lightning authority and not gonna bother looking for pictures of other Lightning .22s and with all due respect, it looks like the fore end is damaged on both sides. I don't think it would've been checkered at the factory right to the edge at the upper surface of the front when there's border around the checkering everywhere else. It looks as though there's wood missing and someone smoothed and stained it. I don't think it came from the factory with the upper line of the fore end dropping down like that. Hope I'm wrong. This is in no way meant to denigrate your rifle.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got one that was my grandads....good shape,but missing the cover...a common problem
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 50-70RB
    I'm no Lightning authority and not gonna bother looking for pictures of other Lightning .22s and with all due respect, it looks like the fore end is damaged on both sides. I don't think it would've been checkered at the factory right to the edge at the upper surface of the front when there's border around the checkering everywhere else. It looks as though there's wood missing and someone smoothed and stained it. I don't think it came from the factory with the upper line of the fore end dropping down like that. Hope I'm wrong. This is in no way meant to denigrate your rifle.

finally get back and something i can help with right off [;)]
    front cover "droop" pointed out is nor factory as the left side appears to be about 1/8" lower than the right (judged by the barrel line)
    also seems to have had the check messed with in the top rear corner on left side,as well as unequal spacing on top one side to the other

if i were to see this along with the fact there is no matching check on the neck of the butt stock, best guess is it was grafted to fit from a different rifle
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldemagics
    quote:Originally posted by 50-70RB

finally get back and something i can help with right off [;)]
    front cover "droop" pointed out is nor factory as the left side appears to be about 1/8" lower than the right (judged by the barrel line)
    also seems to have had the check messed with in the top rear corner on left side,as well as unequal spacing on top one side to the other

if i were to see this along with the fact there is no matching check on the neck of the butt stock, best guess is it was grafted to fit from a different rifle

Funny, same guy must have owned this one too.....
    http://www.willoughbymccabe.com/imagesDB/COLT ANT 001.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The checkering is factory, and the un-checkered buttstock is factory correct. The top front edges of the forearm have chipped off, common on that forearm option.
    The folding Beech front sight and the rear tang sight were a factory option that adds value. They are chambered in .22 Long, but will cycle and shoot .22 Shorts as well. If the bore is good, it should go for $1200+.
    Colt made the .22 Small frame, Medium frame for pistol cartridges, and the Large frame for rifle cartridges. The Medium and Large frames are mechanically the same, the Small frame is vastly different.
    One weak point is the brass alloy firing pin that has a habit of breaking. The last few years that Colt produced them, they changed to a steel firing pin.
    This is not a rifle that a novice wants to disassemble. Unfortunately, it's one of those guns that needs to be clean inside to function right, and that requires taking it apart. Unlike the centerfire versions, there is nothing I've found in print, or on the net to show you how.
    A couple of years ago I restored one from a wallhanger, and did a pictorial "how to" if you have one and you need to disassemble/re-assemble without too many cuss words involved.
    BTW...these are one of the slickest pump actions made, right there with the Winchester 1890.
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    The checkering is factory, and the un-checkered buttstock is factory correct. The top front edges of the forearm have chipped off, common on that forearm option.
    The folding Beech front sight and the rear tang sight were a factory option that adds value. They are chambered in .22 Long, but will cycle and shoot .22 Shorts as well. If the bore is good, it should go for $1200+.
    Colt made the .22 Small frame, Medium frame for pistol cartridges, and the Large frame for rifle cartridges. The Medium and Large frames are mechanically the same, the Small frame is vastly different.
    One weak point is the brass alloy firing pin that has a habit of breaking. The last few years that Colt produced them, they changed to a steel firing pin.
    This is not a rifle that a novice wants to disassemble. Unfortunately, it's one of those guns that needs to be clean inside to function right, and that requires taking it apart. Unlike the centerfire versions, there is nothing I've found in print, or on the net to show you how.
    A couple of years ago I restored one from a wallhanger, and did a pictorial "how to" if you have one and you need to disassemble/re-assemble without too many cuss words involved.
    BTW...these are one of the slickest pump actions made, right there with the Winchester 1890.

guess i stand corrected on that! [B)]
    not many rifles i have seen where only one part of the stock got embellished
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first impression was the deluxe forearm was a replacement. This was an obviously easily damaged part as many rifles are shown with cracked and repaired forearms. A "deluxe" forearm would not be put on a rifle with a "plain" butt stock from the factory IMO.I am not familiar at all with that front sight.

Regardless, a nice rifle of that vintage. Good luck with your auction.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen dozens with the deluxe forearm and thought they were a replacement too. I don't know what Colt was doing at that time, if they were an option, or just using up some extra deluxe forearms.
    This one was bought brand new in 1894, and had never been apart, even when the owners grandfather "refinished" the stock a couple of times with varnish.
    BEFORE:
    Colt221_zpsdffaf879.jpg

AFTER:
    P1040367_zps280e7e2d.jpg
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Dave...[^]