In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Last Ride

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
He pounded on the sliding glass on the back of the old Ford truck. The Cherokee boy driving slid it open. Drop me off anywhere here, the old man said.

Old man, you are in the middle of nowhere. Let me take you on to where you are going.

Here is close enough. I'm almost there.

The dirt road was dusty, and the saddle and duffle bag were heavier than the old man remembered. It didn't matter, though. One foot in front of the other, and it wasn't so very far. A woman in a Suburban pulled alongside him in a swirl of dust, and asked if he needed a ride.

No thanks, Ma'am. I'm almost there.

The kid at the ranch was kind. He remembered the old man, from when he worked for his grandfather, years ago. He was a little reluctant to loan the old man a horse, but he had his own saddle and tack, so he must know what he was doing.

The old horse was slow, but, so was he. The kid must have thought I couldn't handle a live one, he thought.

He remembered well the roll of a horse, under his hips. The day was getting warmer, too warm for the union suit he wore beneath his clothes. Just a little further. He thought, and I have need of it yet.

The pond lay gleaming, in the near distance, the sun glistening off of its surface. He tied the horse under a tree, in the shade. I'm going to need you for a little while more, old fella. But not for too long.

He took off his hat, and gloves. Next, the vest, boots, socks, shirt, Levi's, and finally the union suit.

He stepped into the water, warm and muddy between his bare toes. He was careful not to slip on the mud. I don't need that, just now. He waded in, until it was chest deep, then he began to swim, out to the place where he knew the spring fed it. The water dropped twenty degrees in temperature within a few inches, and he let his old body soak in the coolness of the spring, and the swirl of it around him. He remembered this from years ago, when he had said goodbye to this place. In truth, the only place where he was happy, and had a sense of belonging. After a time, his arms began to ache, and his bones began to chill. Grudgingly, he pulled himself from the cold embrace of the spring, thinking, it's like an old lover. Comforting at first, until the chill sets in.

He dried himself on the union suit, and hung it from a tree. Bright red against the green. That should draw some attention, eventually. He began to clothe himself, jeans, socks, boots, shirt and vest. From his old duffle bag, he pulled a gunbelt, with a well orn single action Colt holstered in it. He buckled it around his waist, thinking, this fits a lot looser than it used to. Oh, well, I won't be wearing it very long.

He tightened the cinch on the horse, and painfully mounted. Where he was going, wasn't much farther. It was the place, either by the grace of God, or not. It was the place. The perfect place. The place he often remembered, when times got bad. The place he went to sleep at night remembering, for remembering this place was all that brought enough peace, to bring sleep.

And, there it was. A slope, rising up to a valley, that stretched far out from the rise where he and the horse sat. A peaceful valley, where he had sat another horse years before, and felt the most perfect peace he had ever known. Before the days of death, marriage and loss, and betrayal by those he loved, or thought he did at the time.

He dismounted, and unsaddled the horse. He took the blanket, and spread it under a tree, overlooking the green valley. He took the bridle gently from the horses mouth, careful not to bump the bit against the worn teeth that it went past. He looked the horse in the eyes. Goodbye, old timer. I reckon your days are numbered, too. The horse looked at him, as if he understood, with his big almond shaped eyes. He gave the old man a gentle nudge. The old man found a lump of sugar amongst his things, fed it too him, caressing the velvety muzzle, then slapped the horse on the rump, and sent him on his way. Under his breath, he whispered, thank you.

He sat down on the blanket, still ripe with the sweet smell of the horses sweat. He dug in his duffle bag, and found a pint of bourbon, and a can of peaches. Hell, Doc says these things are going to kill me. He opened the can with a p38 that hung around his neck, drank down a third of the can, careful to leave most of the juice, which he replaced with a healthy dose of the bourbon. This is the life, he thought. Why do you fight the joys of your youth so hard, when you end up wanting to come back to them?

He remembered the day, long ago, when he left this ranch. He had swam in that same pond, ad sat under this same tree. He had given it up for the love of his life, and the child she bore him. A cowboy can't make enough to raise a family. So, he raised his family on a job he hated. He lost his love. Her, the one with the long, dark hair, Her, the faithful one, Her, the one that always loved him and put him before others. He did the same with her. But, God called her away.

The peaches gone, he took the bourbon straight, and dug out a wrinkled package of cigarettes. He lit one up with a battered zippo, and drew deep. He drew the old Colt from its holster, and looked at it. Friend, we've gone many a mile, and you have never failed me. Now, I think I have no more use of you. I hoped it would work this way, and I feel it coming. You rest here, beside me, unfired.

I see a rider coming yonder, astride a * paint pony, her long dark hair blowing in the wind, her arms waving, and a smile on her face.

My old pony is again by my side, I am once again twenty years old, and I am going with her .

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that, Searcher.
    Though it brought a tear to my eye, it also reminded me of a high valley, a good horse, and a pretty girl. So, so, long ago...
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful, Dan. A moment that awaits all of us. Pray that it is welcomed for each of us as it was for the Old cowboy.
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dan. Great read.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good read. Thanks Dan!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....end of the trail....we all must face it...
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very moving story, Dan.
    What's next?
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, Way too close to home. The writer did not make that up,he knew of what he wrote.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a great piece of writing, very moving.
    Thanks for the post. [^]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • 44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well done. Thank you for sharing it.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan, I think you were born 150 years too late.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wonderful thanks
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    over the years have had 6 friends take that last ride...but away from pain...and one just rode away...that was over at our lake place just north of you...Floyd was a big man when i met him, he was about 80 years old and he mowed yards, couple of cemeteries, and the county courthouse yard...we got acquainted and enjoyed visits about many things...then i found out his wife was in a care home at Iola and he would go visit every weekend. he would be so happy telling me she recognized him when he would talk to her and put her head on his shoulder...he would smile and i could tell he was remembering all the years before. then later he would tell me that she did not have a clue who he was and sit there crying at the loss. all i could do was tell Floyd was he was doing the most for her he could do and wish to hell i had an answer that would lift his spirits...i was at home for several weeks recouping from a surgery when he went to the local hospital saying he he did not not feel right...they sent him to Wichita and he quietly died next day,and was buried back at the cemetery just north of the lake...i could not go to the funeral. she lived for about two more years without knowing of him or of his passing, and i always prayed their last rides came together somewhere along the trail...someday hope to get down and meet you before my turn comes up
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys. Most of you know I wrote that. Most of it true, with luck, some of it may become true. That's the way I would choose to go.

spasmcreek-anytime, my friend. Don't have to be down here.

Guntech-you are so right. I don't like the modern world, and its attitudes, at all.

topdad- I do.

NeoBlackdog-we have the same memories.

To the rest-If I didn't mention you by name, I feel no less appreciation for your comments on my writing. It's easy to do, when you lived it. Thank you all, for your kind words on my feeble attempts.

Dan
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Beautiful Dan. Hits very close to home for me. Thanks for posting.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice job Dan, actually gives a guy something to look forward too.[^]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Magnificent!
    Mind if I share it with a friend or 2?
    edited November -1
    Don't mind at all, my friend. I would consider it a great compliment. Just use my name at the end. Daniel Baker.

quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Magnificent!
    Mind if I share it with a friend or 2?
    edited November -1
    Is anyone else reminded of Spartacus, by this?[:0]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well written, Dan!!! Very touching, kind of a tough read, but well done! Going out the way he wanted; sure glad he didn't use the old Colt Single Action!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

You know, I like you a lot. So, keep that in mind when I say that your response was predictable as hell, and I expected it long before now. Again, my friend, I like you a lot, but,seriously, BITE ME

Dan.
    edited November -1

Yes, but didn't think it was proper to mention it though....[B)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

You know, I like you a lot. So, keep that in mind when I say that your response was predictable as hell, and I expected it long before now. Again, my friend, I like you a lot, but,seriously, BITE ME

Dan.
    No offense intended by the comment, but given you posted it on this forum the dots weren't too far apart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who noticed. In any case, I hope you noted my earlier comment. My initial reaction was that it was beautiful, it was only upon later reflection I put the two together.[B)]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A great story...

Well done Dan
    "What is truth?'
    edited November -1
    Hell, brother,don't think that didn't cross my mind when I wrote it. Had nothing to do with the writing of it,though,but as you say, it was inescapable. It had to happen. It's all good, and I hope you didn't take my "bite me"as offensive. If you did, well, bite me! [:D]
    Dan

Dan.
    No offense intended by the comment, but given you posted it on this forum the dots weren't too far apart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who noticed. In any case, I hope you noted my earlier comment. My initial reaction was that it was beautiful, it was only upon later reflection I put the two together.[B)]
    edited November -1
    I tell you what for sure, boys. A man what expects better than this, in his whole life, is bound for disappointment. Pure happiness came too soon in my life, and lasted way too short. The rest has just been unsuccessfully trying to catch back up to it.

Julie%20Kelsey%202_zpsoz5ramzg.jpg
    edited November -1
    Not much worse than losing a true love.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    No sir, there isn't. Funny, in a weird sort of way, when you think you are over it, it comes back even stronger. Near 20 years, and it has been kicking my * lately.

Not much worse than losing a true love.
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a rider coming yonder, astride a * paint pony, her long dark hair blowing in the wind, her arms waving, and a smile on her face.

My old pony is again by my side, I am once again twenty years old, and I am going with her .

Beautiful imagery Dan. Sounds like a nice way to go.
    edited November -1
    I tell you what for sure, boys. A man what expects better than this, in his whole life, is bound for disappointment. Pure happiness came too soon in my life, and lasted way too short. The rest has just been unsuccessfully trying to catch back up to it.

Julie%20Kelsey%202_zpsoz5ramzg.jpg

Make sure that you don't pass something by in the present speeding up to catch the past, because the past is gone....