In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Moving to Texas

MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We xsferred to TX in early ?_o79?__ from San Diego. We were given directions to the great state of Tx ... go east until you smell it, south until you step in it.

Down side:
I love Texas ..... diary.

Moved to Texas! Now this is a state that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I?_Tve finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I?_Tm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me.
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn?_Tt been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least, it?_Ts kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:

Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol?_T sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and slimes. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol?_T Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it?_Ts hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can?_Tt even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It?_Ts 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise * cracks, ?_~Hot enough for you today??_T I?_Tm going to strangle him. D@mn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my * was on fire.
My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and * . . . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried *, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a d@mn recording. Hot and sunny.
Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It?_Ts been too hot to do slime for 2 d@mn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
Doesn?_Tt it ever rain in this d@mn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over.
Even the cactus can?_Tt live in this d@mn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus are dead.
Forgot to crack the window and blew the d@mn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? ?_oHot enough for you today??__ My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Texas. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know i dont post on here alot but i do read these forums regularly. I am moving down to College Station around the middle of July and was wondering if any is around there or knows of any good gun shops close by
    edited November -1
    We have been praying about it a long time and are going to take a position down in Denton, Texas as a student minister in a new church plant. Keep us in prayer as we prepare to make the move. The only bad thing is no pay, so I will have to find a job when I get down there. SO any of you from that area keep your eyes open for me, I will do just about anything, legal that is. Most of my experience is ministry and retail/customer service.

On a side note I look forward to hooking up with anyone from the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Also anyone form that area want to tell me about the hunting and fishing. I can't wait to get down there.

Merry Christmas all,

-Victor

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity."
    Richard M. Nixon
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try 53hawkeye.
    GREAT guy I'm sure is from that area. I'm sure he's good for local info.[;)]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MikeB
    I know i dont post on here alot but i do read these forums regularly. I am moving down to College Station around the middle of July and was wondering if any is around there or knows of any good gun shops close by

Sorry, don't keep up with much in aggievile.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There used to be a nice little shop in a shopping center down the street from A&M about 10 years ago. Don;t know if it is still there or not, haven't been there since we did some work for them back then. Don't forget to check out the gun museum at A&M while your there, hear it's one helluva collection. We are planning to see it sometime this summer.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MikeB

Hey MikeB,
    Welcome to the Brazos Valley.
    Try Champion Firearms (has indoor range) @ Texas and Holleman, Academy on the bypass (Hwy 6) Gander mountain next door. And others. Looking for anything in particular?
    Contact me if I can help, know a great storage facility.

53hawkeye
  • bintherebinthere Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that. Never had any use for that state or the people that lived there.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by binthere
    Sorry to hear that. Never had any use for that state or the people that lived there.

I'll still pray for you binthere.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye

I might say a special prayer for him too! [;)]
    What's next?
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome home! Great spirit down there in Aggieland, you will be bleeding maroon in no time! Have a freebirds for those of us less fortunate! I think there is one down the street from that Champions Indoor range?!?

I hope you enjoy it here!
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye

I might say a special prayer for him too! [;)]

+1 more I just folks who group us all in one [xx(]
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give me half a chance to sell off everything and I will packing my beagle, gun safe, boys, and yeah my other half if theres room. [:D]
    Find me a hundred or so back country acres and call it quits with all the nonsense and start some real living.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1

Folks from this state probally don't have much use for you either so it's even steven sweetheart. Wasn't a native Texan but God bless it.
  • cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burdett and Son across from the A&M Campus on Texas Ave. Different clientele from Champions and different stock. Much friendlier to deal with. Gunsmoke range is about 6 mi. out of town on the way to Snook. Skeet, trap, sporting clays, 5 stand and 200 yd rifle range. Pistol range also. Town is easy to get around in and it is close to Houston and Austin. Both have some super neat gun emporiums. Collector's Firearms in Houston and McBrides in Austin. Stuff in either one will make you think you died and gone to heaven.
    Get your CHL as soon as you are able. Believe you need a 6 mo residency. We need more shooters.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Welcome Mike.
    I was born in Brian.
    The place has changed some (electricity was invented since then).
    You will like it there.
    RT
    edited November -1
    thanks for the responses hopefully i can meet up with a couple of yall
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I was a disc jockey for WTAW radio in Bryan/College Station in the late seventies.

It has grown into a nice town since my day.

Welcome. Nice to have a legal immigrant!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowboy77845
    Burdett and Son across from the A&M Campus on Texas Ave. Different clientele from Champions and different stock. Much friendlier to deal with. Gunsmoke range is about 6 mi. out of town on the way to Snook. Skeet, trap, sporting clays, 5 stand and 200 yd rifle range. Pistol range also. Town is easy to get around in and it is close to Houston and Austin. Both have some super neat gun emporiums. Collector's Firearms in Houston and McBrides in Austin. Stuff in either one will make you think you died and gone to heaven.
    Get your CHL as soon as you are able. Believe you need a 6 mo residency. We need more shooters.
    Used to do some business with Burdetts', 'till DIL had some of his knives stolen while in their keep. Mr. Burdett was decent, but don't let his wife get involved![V][V][:(!]
    I'll never go back.