In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Something every trucker dreads, my boy got it

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Blown steer tire. He sent that pic, called him and asked if he was Ok, asked if his underwear was Ok he said yep!

65MPH on the PA pike, kapow! Kid did good because these often times end up in a bad way. He was able to get it slowed down and safely off the road. Others have taken out traffic beside them, off the road and/or upside down.

86Xchfml.png

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yikes! Son did a good job to handle that disaster.

That has never happened to me, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A driver lost a front tire here in Topeka this week. He crossed the median, the oncoming lanes, nit the ditch and turned it over. He didn't hit anybody and came out unhurt. I call that a win.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    I saw one let loose on I-580 just the other day. Tire blew, the truck * hard to the right onto the shoulder then straightened out just before the freeway fence along the road. Pieces of his fiberglass hood and tire all over the place for about 250 yards. That was one E ticket ride I'd want to pass on.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much air pressure rides in them tires? 120PSI?

serf
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was talking to a big rig delivery driver few days ago and told him he has a trailer tire that is about to alligator (shed the cap)

He said Yea, the company won't replace it until it goes completely bad.[:0]

I said, and you have a nice day.

Really a shame that a CDL driver would continue on with such.

I thought about getting a tag number and reporting such to the Highway Patrol.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never driven a semi or had a front tire blowout. If this is what a semi is like, my guess a car is worse?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPvI80OiZo

House was hidden behind a tree. Should have built it further off the highway.[:D]
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    I was talking to a big rig delivery driver few days ago and told him he has a trailer tire that is about to alligator (shed the cap)

He said Yea, the company won't replace it until it goes completely bad.[:0]

I said, and you have a nice day.

Really a shame that a CDL driver would continue on with such.

I thought about getting a tag number and reporting such to the Highway Patrol.

That is what you should do. Might be me or maybe a friend of yours on a motorbike when that thing goes. The company needs to be fined and driver ticketed.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    great job and glad all is ok . scary is a understatement

when I was about 19 I had a front tire blow out on a mach 1 mustang doing just at 120 .. I can not image a semi it would be a underwear changing moment [:0] after the dust had cleared
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40yrs this month and I've only lost one steer tire in 1.5+ million miles. Every condition to set a new high in pucker factor.
    3 axle cabover, driver side tire(right under you), morning rush hour on I-680, and mid span on the old Benicia bridge crossing the Sacramento River. It had an 18" high pipe railing between you and a 100' drop to the river. Felt and sound like a bomb went off under me.
    When I got it stopped, there wasn't another car around me for 200 yards.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop
    Never driven a semi or had a front tire blowout. If this is what a semi is like, my guess a car is worse?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPvI80OiZo

House was hidden behind a tree. Should have built it further off the highway.[:D]

If there had been a paved shoulder he may have saved that! Okce that rim hit that soft ground he was doomed!

Honey, was there a Peterbilt in the kitchen when you left this morning?

Imagine if they had been home, holy crap [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    40yrs this month and I've only lost one steer tire in 1.5+ million miles. Every condition to set a new high in pucker factor.
    3 axle cabover, driver side tire(right under you), morning rush hour on I-680, and mid span on the old Benicia bridge crossing the Sacramento River. It had an 18" high pipe railing between you and a 100' drop to the river. Felt and sound like a bomb went off under me.
    When I got it stopped, there wasn't another car around me for 200 yards.[:)]

Imagine if we could just get a trailer tire to go on command! That would stop them from riding alongside ya hahaha
  • Options
    buckglovesbuckgloves Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had one of our Macks loose the left steer tire, wheel, hub,and drum
    last month. Driver didn't put oil in the bearings, had a leaky inside seal. Outside bearing melted the race and off she went.
    Very lucky he had just turned into a plant entrance and nobody around.

Trust your soul to Jesus and your life to a good steer axle.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good God, droptop, what a video! Complete with sound. Damn that makes me scared to hit the road tomorrow. Damn.

120 psi in the steer tires.

My company, like most uses all retreads on the drive wheels and all trailer tires, I hate it but I guess it saves money. But my company goes all out and only puts new tires on the front.

When I become King of America I will outlaw retreats on big trucks and mandate only new tires. Retreads area real danger and I know we are all tired of seeing all that retread rubber laying around on the roads. We are the wealthiest country in the world I think we can afford only new tires on all big rigs. Just imagine, that retread blows, and rubber hits the guy on the Honda Goldwing, hits him right in the face. Or, it hits the windshield of the Honda Civic. You know people get killed like that every year. Why do we even allow retreads? Baffling.

As to the guy who was warned about a tire going bad and refused to stop to get it fixed, what a Piece of bababooey! Inexcusable. Pathetic.

I have blown out a dozen retreads, nobody ever got hurt but I have spent many hours on exit ramps waiting for the tire guy to show up and fix my flat.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited November -1
    Holy cow. Glad he was able to handle/control it. Good job.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ummm where is the tire? With that kind of failure I would hope nobody was next to the Detonation.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look like you trained that son well...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He runs Goodyear steer tires, same brand as I?m running. Tire tech said he picked up a nail and that?s what caused this failure.

I?ve thought about that from time to time, most recently I got hookd up with a few trucks and we burned US212 in an old school big truck manner, Inremember looking at the speedo thinking to myself ?this would be a hell of a time to blow a steer!?

But summer is here which means road temps well over 100? and guess what that means folks! Yep, it?s Vietnamese Gater Season! Trucks will be leaving these black rubber monsters all over the place once again to take a bite out of your cars.

Stay away from trucks, if you?re gonna pass a truck do so in a timely manner, if a truck tries to pass you, let it go please. Putting yourself in a position where you are riding beside the truck can have deadly consequences and not all truck drivers care about you and will try to stay away from you. A blown cap can be ugly coming though you window, a blown steer can park a truck on top of you. You never know if that truck your beside has had its tires checked recently, it could be overweight, the tires could be underinflated and hot, you just never know
  • Options
    jddd48jddd48 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one hurt thank God. I blew a left front tire on my 28 foot class c motor home. Driving from Arizona to Washington state. I was at the bottom of dead mans pass and just on the level when it blew. I was driving in the right lane where I belonged, next thing I knew it exploded and I was on the left shoulder. I am so lucky it did not blow on the down hill. I had been warned in the past about tires that sit in the Arizona sun too long and would not listen.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a recent trip eastbound on I80 in eastern Iowa I stopped to drag a retread of the center of the road. Would be hell to hit one of those on a motorcycle.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Lost a front tire in a van. Would not have been much of a problem except Being the Poor kids we were they were recaps. Cap came off an wrapped around the tie rod we lost all ability to steer. Real lucky no traffic and we were in the desert just drifted off to the center Median. Problem was all we had was a very dull knife to cut that cap off.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool response.

Every time I drive my pickup truck from my house, practically without exception, I walk around it and inspect the visible tread. Under the edges. Check the street, gutter, for nails and screws. Often check the pressure readings in the first 50 yards as well.
  • Options
    buckglovesbuckgloves Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSR and Allen, what should I do if my steer tire blows ?

All trailer brakes ? Stay off foot pedal ?

Down shift if I can ?

I don't have a jake.

I have a friend that had his studs to pop off.
    85mph on 635 near Ft. Worth.
    When he got it stopped there were no others vehicles around.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blew a rear tire on a motorcycle about fifty years ago. That is a E ride in any park. I figure it is much less likely now with modern tires. The tube was far more likely to blow & even if a modern tire goes it should still stay on the rim better.
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also had a fun "ride" about 50 years ago. Was driving an old '61 Dodge to school (to take a test) on an L.A. freeway, doing about 70.

I was behind an old Ford Falcon pick-up that was hauling four large automobile wheels in the back. They were all standing up, so they were rolling around in the back. On the left side of me was a big gasoline Semi, and on the other side was another big Semi.

Suddenly the tailgate of the Falcon dropped and the wheels started rolling out straight at me.

I couldn't swerve or get out of the way. One wheel must have caught under the front of the frame because I was launched about 25 feet distance in the air. Luckily I was on a straightaway so I landed in my lane (blowing a rear right tire) and hit my breaks while the two trucks roared past me.

Luckily I didn't hit anyone as I got off the freeway as fast as I could at the next exit. I got to the side of the street and examined the car and the only thing damaged was the flattened tire. So I changed it and went on to school (things like this have never scared me.)

I must have been a little shaken up though, because I only got a "B" on the test.

I've had some scrapes with danger, but this is probably number one on my list.

Always wanted to be a fighter pilot, so I guess this is as close as I got to it.

[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blowing a tire in a fighter jet might be even more sporty. You touch down at 165 mph and you steer with your toes.

A blowout in anything is scary and dangerous. The only one I ever had was in a Chrysler mini-van in the middle of nowhere one Idaho winter. Wife and two daughters aboard. Right rear. Caused some interesting gyrations and I was looking forward out the left window for a bit, then out the right one. Managed to not roll it, mostly by not over-correcting or panic braking. Pilot training - see the first paragraph.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't comparing myself to a fighter pilot, just saying that's as close as I ever got to it due to bad hearing. I envy you. What did you fly?